usa :: chicago :: general

disarm_1

^thanks mapz, just left Chicago, spent 5 weeks there, 4 weeks being a student at Northwestern Memorial (now no longer a student - fuck yea!) and 1 week with the girlfriend just seeing the sights and eating lots. Unfortunately the open mic was really late (after 2330hrs and we were exhausted by then). Overall, I felt we had a well planned week, so if anyone wants a pretty chill week they could use this itinerary as a guide.

Tuesday - Southport Grocery, Lincoln Park Zoo, Hancock Tower, Mirai Sushi, SubT

Wednesday - XOCO, Art Institute (Lichtenstein was meh, The permanent collections of Monet and La Grande Jette were way more amazing so always worth a visit), Millennium Park, ALINEA!

Thursday - CAF boat tour, DMK Burger Bar, Second City 100th Revue

Friday - complete write-off! We tried to do Hot Doug's in the afternoon but the crowd was two hours long around 2pm. It wasn't because they had a huge crowd but rather because the hot dogs took a while to prep maybe? There were empty tables in the shop but the line was stagnating so we left and chilled around Wicker Park before dinner at The Bristol and evening at Double Doors for DJ Quik.

Saturday - Lula's Cafe, Logan Theatre, Shaw's Crab House, BLUES bar

Sunday - Super hot while we were here (35 degC), brunch at Bongo Room, Memorial Day weekend foiled our plans to visit the Shedd Aquarium. I went instead to Barneys to grab an A.P.C coat. Evening at the Neo-futurarium for Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind. A definite must see. Dinner at HopLeaf and ended our trip with friends at Green Mill Jazz.

Great trip overall. Chicago has plenty to offer and many good eats. Things I would do differently: no point going all the way out to Kuma's or Hot Doug's if you're a traveller. Much more good food in town to satisfy your appetite. Book ahead for Shedd if on weekend. Not on this list which I really enjoyed was Smoque BBQ which I visited before the lady arrived (she's not big on meats). Smoque BBQ is totally out of this world. I had half and half (sliced brisket + pulled pork).

A+ will visit again. Thanks for being so great to me Chicago. I really enjoyed my stay. <3

Not on this list which I really enjoyed was Smoque BBQ which I visited before the lady arrived (she's not big on meats). Smoque BBQ is totally out of this world. I had half and half (sliced brisket + pulled pork).

This is truth. My girlfriend is a Chicago native and her family (also in the food business) swears by Smoque, even though other bbq places in the city are more 'renowned.' The brisket is ridiculous.

+1 To all of those who've mentioned The Wormhole over at Wicker Park.

Very chill and laid-back coffee house, which you'll usually find me at in the weekends.

Zen Noodles down near that area is also a pretty good and relatively cheap Asian restaurant. (I recommend the Sweet & Sour chicken. The way they bread it there is simply amazing). Price ranges from around 8-10 bucks.

Flash Tacos have some pretty amazingly giant burritos and nachos.

I haven't visited there in awhile, but I believe it's still cash only over there.

Thrift stores scattered around everywhere, as well as the token mall stores. (UO, AA, etc...)

The Pick-Me-Up Diner not too far from the main Wicker Park area also has some AMAZING things on their menu. Definitely a place worth checking out for their coffee and breakfast menu.

• 1 year later...

violet hour for speakeasy vibe and great cocktails.

bernard's bar in waldorf for even more amazing cocktails, great ambience. tiny place, shitty hours, but drinks + service are phenom.

caffe streets makes the best coffee, even accounting for intelligentsia chicago roaster bullshit.

mexican food is unreal; this place called tierra caliente is this literal hole-in-wall in the back of a nondescript, dingy carniceria...best al pastor tacos in the city for ~2.50 a pop.

burgers - kuma's corner, even tho line is shit

hot dogs – not hot dougs, piece of shit doesn't even grill the bun overpriced tourist shit

pizza – pequod's all others can die

korean fusion chicken wing – crisp; really good.

anyways i dunno, usual expensive restaurants like schwa / alinea / girl & goat, only advice is to go around 5-6 and try and snag a table. reservations are easily 2+ months in advance. 

I'll be in Chi first week of Oct. More than likely staying in the Lakeview area. Any recommendations for bars, restaurants, must eats/sees in general? I'll be going with a good sized group so trying to get as many ideas as possible.

I heard Longman and Eagle is damn good. If you want to do a little shopping, Haberdashmen and Apartment Number 9 are worth a look. 

A few off top of my head:

Coffee -- Gaslight in Logan (Awesome place), Dollop in River East

Food (Newish places)

---

Bavette's in River North -- Similar to longman (avante guard new american )

Balena in LP -- Modern Italian

Fat Rice in Logan -- Macau/Chinese

I can't think of any new bars, for upscale-ish bars, I basically rotate VH,Telegraph,and Sepia. In lakeview? Can't think of anything...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've lived here my whole life in many different neighborhoods and want to share some recommendations with anyone who may be interested (I also do marketing for local restaurants):

My favorite bars in Chicago for anyone that likes craft cocktails:

The Whistler (Logan Square)

Maria's (Bridgeport)

Barrelhouse Flat (Lincoln Park)

Scofflaw (Logan Square)

Three Dots and a Dash (River North)

Best Dive Bars:

Dannys (Bucktown) - cash only

The Mutiny (Bucktown)
Skylark (Pilsen) - cash only

Best Food:

bellyQ (West Loop)

Lula Cafe (Logan Square)

Fish Bar (Lincoln Park)

Longman & Eagle (Logan Square)

Belly Shack (Logan Square)

Avec (West Loop)

Publican (West Loop)

Publican Quality Meats (West Loop)

Best Pizza:

Pequod's (Lincoln Park)

Best Mexican:

Los Comales (Pilsen)

Nuevo Leon (Pilsen) - cash only

Best High End:

The Aviary (West Loop)

Schwa (Wicker Park)

Best Coffee:

Intelligentsia (Multiple)

Just a snapshot of my regular spots.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're in UofC, I don't know if you're going to be in the city THAT often. You're out in hyde park/south side area and you'll have to hop on a bus then green line for a 30 minute-ish train ride. UofC campus is gorgeous though and lots to do.

A list of some of my favorite spots in chicago

Wicker Park/West Town Area --------------

Food

- Filter Lounge Cafe (Down Milwaukee, pretty nice lounge area free wifi all that jazz) 

- Rodan (Rodan is an asian fusion restaurant, has a nice vibe, they're always playing around with their menu sometimes for better/worse, but I've personally never had a bad meal there, I love the kimchee burger and the calimari) 

- Cumin (modern nepalese food, very good in my opinion)

- Lovely Coffee Shop (Around division area, very nice feeling place, good coffee)

- Boiler Room (Logan Square area, Boiler room has amazing food, great deals such as if you use the atm you are given a free shot of jameson, try the jameson ice cream. It's beyond appetizing) 

- Lula Cafe (Logan Square area, very nice place. Nice vibe and usually very nice art to look at, have bumped into the likes of Theaster Gates, and Hamza Walker at that place) 

- D'Noche ( Logan Square, great contemporary latin food) 

- Pueblas (Late night 24 hour, mexican food. Comes in the clutch at times that's for sure.) 

Shopping

- Penelopes (Nice little place down W Division, love the staff there. Carry some nice pieces from APC, Our Legacy, etc.) 

- Pavilion (Lovely store down damen ave, ran by Jennifer Brunner, an SAIC alumni great feeling in the store. She carries advant garde and 20th century furnishings with some accessorries. Just went down for the Elke Walter Pop-Up event. She carries anything from Rick Owens furniture to Fraser Taylor paintings, as well as Werkstatt Munchen jewelry)

-Buffalo Exchange/Crossroads Trading Co. (These places tend to be a necessity when shopping around wicker park area, I've picked up an obscur A/W 2010 jacket for $50, ATTACHMENT pants, Comme, Wings+Horns, Our Legacy, and many more items at these places for cheap.)

Art

- Dfbul8r (Great performance art gallery down Milwaukee, friends have shown here and it's an amazing place to go see when anything is being shown)

- Vintage Heaven (Excuse the ridiculously bland and offsetting name, they carry some vintage clothing but I mostly enjoy this place for the art that they showcase throughout the year) 

- LVL3 (Interesting place, been here only a handful of times. Great pieces so far)

- The Parlor (More West Town area, but still an interesting place to check out if you have the chance) 

In the Downtown area --------------------

Shopping

- Gallery Aesthete (It's hidden at 46 e. oak st, go into the building and go up to floor 4. My hands down favorite place to shop. They carry menswear selections the likes of Guidi, Julius, Ann D, Rick, Comme, Silent Damir Doma, Boris Bidjan, etc. they also have very nicely put together events from time to time) 

- Ikram (for women, carries a great selection of designer clothing) 

Art

- MCA 

- AIC 

- Sullivan Galleries (SAIC's gallery, amazing artwork is shown here throughout the year, just go to the 7th floor of the sullivan building, 36 S. Wabash) 

- Thomas Masters Gallery (Great spot around old town area, Great art) 

Edited by Mrama

Thanks for the recommendations. Was actually suppose to live in south loop but it fell through last minute due to the landlord being an asshole so ended up getting something in Hyde park. Business school is a bit of a joke so even though I'm a little far away, I still hope to be able to get to know the city a little bit.

On a separate note, any help getting weed / a connection would be really appreciated ;)

moving tomorrow for the fall as i'll be an exchange student at UofChicago (Booth). looking forward to discovering the city so will check this thread for recommendations!!!! and obviously down for any meetups or whatnot

might could link up bro

Thanks for the recommendations. Was actually suppose to live in south loop but it fell through last minute due to the landlord being an asshole so ended up getting something in Hyde park. Business school is a bit of a joke so even though I'm a little far away, I still hope to be able to get to know the city a little bit.

On a separate note, any help getting weed / a connection would be really appreciated ;)

I go to u of c i gotchu. also dont you can take the 6 to the loop in ~30mins or metra in no more than 20 dont fuck with the green/red line from hp to downtown

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

RSVP Gallery

lmfao.

Where in the city is there a good boot selection? Possibly going to be in chicago in the next couple of weeks and I am looking for the red wing heritage stuff 

for real though

- haberdash

- unamaes 

Edited by Mrama

RSVP Gallery

this place is so hypebeasty it hurts; street thugz sporting chanel and raf simonz.  SAs were totally judgin.

St. Alfred's a street down has Visvim / Undercover / WTAPs accounts and Indepndence on  has Oak Street Bootmakers, Kapital and a lot of E/G workweary stuff.

• 4 months later...

So I'm so outta touch, but I just discovered Mildblend in Wicker Park this weekend. For denim heads this is by far the best Japanese Denim selection. They even have a union special to do chain stitching on. Among the brands carried they had:

Iron Heart

The Flat Head

3Sixteen

Unbranded

Eternal

Nudie

Railcar

Leftfield

Momataro

and a bunch more. They had other stuff too, but I was just surprised by their denim selection. And they didn't just have a pair or two, but stacks on stacks of them. Dudes were super nice to, asking about my PBJs and stuff

https://www.mildblend.com/

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All you need to know is that Gallery Aesthete is the best place to shop (if you can find it); they've got rick, julius, ann, damir, etc..super cool store too, v well curated.

Highly recommend GA as well. Been there a few times now and the SA Samm is chill and helpful, and they still had some IS and Forme shirts on sale a couple weeks ago. Stock Devoa, Margiela and Incarnation leathers recently even though they're not on their list of designers but Werkstatt and Alice Waese are the highlights for me