usa :: chicago :: general

disarm_1

• 10 months later...

havent been there but there is a famous music store

dusty groove

1120 N Ashland Ave -- Chicago, IL, USA

(Corner of Haddon Street, 1 Block South of Division Street)

http://www.dustygroove.com

post. www.post.fm

DESIGN. ART. MUSIC. LIFE.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry so general.

Here alone for business, walking the city.

Pretty much anything. Food, nightlife. Price aint a biggie.

I just arrived in my hotel, I'm gonna go take a tour around the city now.

Anything interesting going on tonite?

Either way, what would you and others recommend, what do u chi-town folks enjoy in your city?

this should be in superjetset.

but i'm curious also. i might take a flight out to chicago for a day/night to get some frequent flyer miles. i'd be coming in solo and i'd be into eating ridiculous food, doing some casual shopping. everything preferably public transportation/walking friendly.

Although I posted this question in another forum, I was just wondering what some of the best places in Chicago were to shop at. I know most of the larger stores such as Diesel, but I wanted a little information on some of the top boutiques around the area. I'll be staying on Michigan Avenue, so the closer, the better.

Word.

bump...

wadz up with the supposive "3rd city"??

Come on... shed some knowledge!

Some bars, clubs, restos, art, stores?

And Portillo's ain't that great. I found a lot of soulful food tho!

I guess its all about sports, hot dogs, and pizza in this city???

Where's all the good music?

Fucking Chicago.

forgot to mention..

Pimping, banging,and eating lots of fast food junk.

But how come I can't find some weed anyhere in this city?

I haven't even walked by a cloud of tree smoke, what'z that deal?

i just wrote a lengthy reply and lost it. here's the short version:

take the blue line towards ohare to damen or division in wicker park. walk a loop down damen, division, and milwaukee (glance at a map, they make a triangle). you'll see lots of shopping and eating suited for the superfuture type (check the superfuture chicago guide).

have not gone out in chicago in a long time, but i caught jimmy edgar (ghostly/spectral) at sonotheque a while back. . . if that's any indication of the music quality. the sound system there is tops. you might see some bars you'd want to revisit at night while you're walking around wicker park. smart bar is also another good place for music. . .

the gallery district closest to downtown is in river north. take the brown going towards kimball, get off at chicago, and walk down franklin, turn right or left on superior, walk around. you'll see loads of good and bad galleries. then, walk all the way east on chicago (toward the lake) to the MCA - museum of contemp. art.

portillos is shite. i favor maxwells on taylor and roosevelt near UIC (also on the blue line). open 24 hours. get a brat w/mustard and onions (NO ketchup). for chicago style pizza, i like lou malnatis. look up them up on the web. locations in river north i think. sorry i'm not crazy about fine dining.

even though its a bit touristy and there are horrific aesthetic offenses, visit millenium park. . . see the giant metal jelly bean sculpture, the gigantic, disgusting steel amphitheatre & field. . .but there's a video/water sculpture (also on monster scale) i quite liked - don't know if it still runs in winter.

best view of the city at night is from a strip of park outside the field museum, south of the loop. . . there's a tiny beach behind the museum, hidden by the massive parking lot where kids used to throw parties many years ago. . . still a nice spot to drink alone (or w/friends) w/o being bothered.

not that short. but i hope it helps.

finally some decent reviewish thing.

But still no one answered....

where's the weed at?

or any drugs matter of fact?

all this gang banging, but no slanging?

shit is wack

wicker park is pretty well-stocked as far as shopping is concerned.

hejfina is there (they carry comme des garcons, cloak, engineered garments, etc). there're a couple other random clothes shops (mostly of the meltin' pot variety, but every now and again you can find some cool shit there).

earwax cafe is right by hejfina and they have great food (especially if you're a vegetarian). it's on milwaukee.

there's a great vietnamese place (vien dong) on clark. great food and it's not touristy.

if you're into books, i recommend checking out myopic (it's basically across the street from hejfina).

i don't really do much clubbing/bar hopping so i can't help you there.

What kind of music you looking for? I cant speak to dj shit, but for bands I can...

In addition to Wicker Park, I would go to Lake View or Old Town (more yuppie, but there is some cool shit). Due north of the loop.

For Bands:

The Empty Bottle

Double Door

Subterranean

Schubas

Metro

The hideout

A couple of those are local secrets (not telling which though), Schubas is the best in general as is the empty bottle. I tend to like music you cant dance to. Get the Reader or Red Eye and check out what is going on, they are to be found all over the city.

Trotters is the best food in Chicago, so if money is no object, book a table there.

hey, i'm trying to look for restaurants / eateries in chicago that are somewhat cozy and quirky. i'm not that concerned about the price, just not a place that's way too sophisticated / adult (and when i say 'sophisticated' and 'adult' i just mean full of rich yuppie assholes) and thats either offbeat or somewhat, i dunno, homely. i live here so i'm just looking for places that would be cool to go to constantly. coffehouses work too. THNX

Go to North, Milwaukee, and Damen, the heart of wicker park, used to be very artsy and now is kind of a mish mash of everything. On north, just past the intersection is a place called Spring, good shit. Earwax Cafe is cool, that is just south of the intersection, just have a cab drop you off there and walk around, there are tons of places to shop and eat right there.

• 1 month later...