hawt dawgz

italian beef

chicago deep dish

sausages like you wouldn't believe

fried chicken

more fried chicken

ribs

oh god i'm goin to die before 30

Hot Doug's is great, just beware of a 1+ hour wait. Kuma's is great too, but if you want a burger that's as good (Pat LaFrieda beef) with no wait and a way better beer selection, head to Lincoln Square for Bad Apple. If you want a great burger and you're in Evanston head to Edzo's. They're on par with anything in the city.

Al's Beef is good for Italian beef and combos. I've only been to the one in River North but the fries were some of the best I've had in the city. I've heard Mr. Beef is just as good or better. Portilla's if you want to fight the tourists who couldn't get into the Rainforest Cafe, but they have good cheese fries and beer.

Only BBQ I've really had that's been great is Smoque and Smokin' Woody's.

Haven't really had any fried chicken that is as good as southern, but I've heard Feed is good (Humboldt Park) and Big Jones in Andersonville.

Pizza, I don't eat much deep dish, but Edwardo's, Lou Malnati's, Chicago's, Giordano's, they'll all be what you're looking for. Although I've heard if you want the best, go to the burbs for Burt's Place.

Thin crust, I can only vouch for Pizza DOC, Apart Pizza, and Spaca Napoli. They're all good, but from what I hear not the best. I think Great Lake Pizza in Andersonville takes that title.

Other food that's good

Mexican: Xoco in River North and Mixteco.

Coffee: the already mentioned Intelligentsia is worth it, Asado is great too.

Sandwiches: Hannah's Bretzel has some good stuff. Cafecito in south loop is great

Tango Sur for your Columbian Steakhouse fix

Purple Pig for small plate/tapas, Mercadito isn't bad at all either.

If you want duck, go to Sun Wah

There's tons more but that should be good to get you started.

You good with public transit, I don't have a automobeel and I get where I want/need with autobus and el tren
Oh btw, is it necessary for me to rent a car while there? Or can I trek on foot or subway?

je suis de chicago aussi. Je pense que l'auto c'est tres necessaire.

at least on the north side. and its good if you dont want to hang out downtown all the time

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

alinea if you wanna roll hard.

otherwise, publican or girl and the goat are banging out legit food, and they may be easier to get a res.

deep dish pizza at lou malnatis, but only if you get it with sausage, mushroom, and giardiniera with the buttercrust. haters gonna hate, but this trifecta is ridiculous.

shopping in chicago is kind of a wash. what are you looking to cop?

btw, i forgot longman and eagle. a little out of the way, but they just got a michelin star too. food is good and their bacon ice cream is serious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Will be in town this weekend. So far on my itinerary I have-

Day 1-

Sears Tower

Millennium Park

Wicker Park 

Chicago Theatre

Bar/Club
/Show?

Day 2-

Water Tower Place

Museum of Contemporary Art

United Center

Is this all doable? And can anyone give me an order of which places I should go to first/last throughout the day?

Any other info is truly appreciated as well. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

anyone check out Haberdash EDC yet? I want to hate the store so bad but from what I've seen...gah, I can't say it...

why do you want to hate haberdash? yeah i've been to the EDC annex and it's pretty nice. i think they've done a good job curating the stock and they carry a good assortment of the usual suspects (alden, tanner, ms&co., otter wax, etc) what surprised me, though, was their nice apothecary selection.

the gentlemen who work there are cool - some more knowledgeable than others. my only reservation is that, yeah, they're going for that old school 'haberdasher' vibe in terms of space and employee dress code, but all of a sudden booty music comes on the stereo. nonetheless, it's worth checking out.

kuma's corner is the tits

shopping in chicago is bleh wicker park or michigan ave / water tower for designers stuff

public house is a good singles mingle bar good beer selection and food and plenty of hot hot girls

can also vouch for bad apple

seven treasures is dope in chinatown open til 3 am get wonton noodle soup and 554 (bbq pork fried egg over white rice $5 can't beat it when drunk as shit)

shed aquarium is doable in 3 hours if you're short on time... for bonus effect eat mushrooms and spend hours in there

big star in wicker park off damen and pierce is the jammywam for tacos

Shopping is alright. I go to Wicker Park frequently since I live only one ride down the blue line there. Thrift store every other designer/etc. store. Good place, good place.

If you're looking for a place with amazing latte's, coffee, and just a great atmosphere; I definitely reccomend going to "The Wormhole". Also, Flash Taco's is another amazing taco joint.

kuma's corner is the tits

shopping in chicago is bleh wicker park or michigan ave / water tower for designers stuff

public house is a good singles mingle bar good beer selection and food and plenty of hot hot girls

can also vouch for bad apple

seven treasures is dope in chinatown open til 3 am get wonton noodle soup and 554 (bbq pork fried egg over white rice $5 can't beat it when drunk as shit)

shed aquarium is doable in 3 hours if you're short on time... for bonus effect eat mushrooms and spend hours in there

big star in wicker park off damen and pierce is the jammywam for tacos

this thread is lacking. any coffee lovers out there? even not, whilst traveling to another city, a good thing to always keep in mind - where you'll find a good coffee shop, you'll find a good cross section of the city.

coffee in chicago goes like this:

if you can only visit one shop, go to the intelligensia in the lobby of the monadnock building. old school vibe in one of the oldest buildings in chicago. it's on jackson and dearborn - you'll be in downtown anyway, right?

in lincoln park?

the bourgeios pig

the noble tree

in lakeview?

intelligensia

kickstand

pick me up cafe

uncommon ground

asado coffee

in wicker park?

the wormhole

buzz: killer espresso

caffe streets

in logan square?

cafe mustache

new wave coffee

lula cafe

in west town?

swim cafe

sip coffeehouse

star lounge

in edgewater/andersonville?

metropolis

kopi cafe

in uptown?

dollop

local roasters to keep in mind:

metropolis, intellegensia, bridgeport, dark matter

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Wormhole -- it's probably my favorite spot in the city. Awesome rotation of guest spros. Staff is awesome. Customers are awesome. I'm frequently dumbstruck and inspired by the random people who end up camped out working here.

Kickstand is really really excellent as well. Hoosier Mama pies help the cause.

Ipsento over near Logan is really good -- the coconut milk + honey + cayenne pepper latte is AWESOME.

Caffe streets is nice if you're hardcore spro nerd. It's not really my vibe as it's a little too clean/slick/medical.

Is Pick Me Up 24hr still on the weekends? I havent' been in a longggg time.

Uncommon Grounds has the best food of any of the places listed above; they also have (great) beer. Coffee-->Food-->Beer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys great thread. Thanks for this, really useful.

Which hip hop bars are great in Chicago? Anywhere that plays good hip hop or has some local acts would really be up my alley. Preferably not the clubscene type, that's just painful.

I also learnt that EDM (electronic dance music) is quite a big thing in Chicago? Would be keen on some garage/hyperdub/electronica kinda stuff (like Burial, Aphex, Gold Panda). Any venues for these kinda things?

That would be amazing. Headed out to Wicker Park now!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

summertime in the city! mmmmhm summer festivals 2012

Which hip hop bars are great in Chicago?

and hey for hip-hop, hit up sub-t's hip-hop open mic. think it's still every tuesday.

what's good chicago? i'm gonna be there mid-June... aside from a Cubs game, anything else good? staying in the river north area. first time - super excited!

river north is a relatively "cool" area to be in for your first time in chicago. i can dig the area because there's this certain energy around those parts that seep from downtown - but it's not so much of a cluster fuck (yet, anyway). still, a lot of tourists are over there. either way, walk up to the lake - there are a bunch of nooks and crannies where you can get a good vantage point to do some good people watching. the river north neighborhood has gotten a lot of personality over the past decade - some of the city's best restaurants are over there. hit up the doughnut vault if you feel like waiting in line for some sweets. i'd say gilt bar is kind of the "don't miss it" of the neighborhood, followed closely maybe by haberdash?

and if you're going to be in wrigleyville...stop by flub a dub chub's in lakeview to get a proper chicago hot dog. don't fuck around with anything else over there.

Edited by mapz