usa :: chicago :: general

disarm_1

salt stains on leather would be the problem...

you can get over-shoe rubber boots for your dress shoes or nice boots,

good warm snow boots w/ a rubber lower half and leave your normal shoes at work or take them w/ you,

or be diligent enough to spot clean yer leather boots (w/ water&vinegar and condition 'em) right after they get stained...but that's pretty risky for expensive shoes...and i did this a few days last winter and still got a very small salt/slush stain where, apparently, my nail couldn't reach to wipe it off.

i'm planning to get a pair of sorel boots or something similar that's waterproof and warm this winter.

I wore redwings over this past winter which from what everybody said was pretty bad (most snow in 30 years or something). And the train stop near my place closed in November so I had to walk about 6 blocks to/from the train everyday, which wasn't too bad. My boots had the crepe sole. They were fine and still look pretty good. I just made it a habit to wipe them off regularly with a wet paper towel. I also coated them once with some Obernauf's.

I also occasionally wore some budget Tim's which were fine as well.

Considering all the snow over the winter, I think the main thing you need to worry about is how long/far your walk is, you really want to keep your feet warm and the longer they are outside, the harder it is to do. Second is the waterproofing because there will be times you will walk on nicely shoveled sidewalks, to slush and sludge, to 6-10" deep snow in one trip.

Guest noba2278

The Runner is a moving, sincere Age of Conan Gold piece of art. Despite that, most audiences might not have even noticed that it went through the theaters like a desert breeze. It’s made a modest showing internationally, and pulled in $15.4 million in its limited Age of Conan Power Leveling US release. Critics, however, remained mixed, although most of the negative reviews placed the film up against the poetic genius of its source material ?C the best selling novel by Khaled Hosseini.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

man, this thread fell off. I'll try to add some stuff.

Sun Wah BBQ right of Argyle Redline. Had the Peking Duck Dinner twice with some friends. Definitely recommended. You get a radish salad, duck meat sandwiches on sticky buns, soup, fried rice and dessert for about $10-15 a person (more if you want beer). The decor leaves a lot to be desired, but the food is really good.

Panes Bread Cafe off the Wellington Brown/Purple line. Great bread, cheap prices. Although the coffe sucked. But would recommend for a lunch.

Demura Ethiopian food off Lawrence Redline. pretty good. I have to get used to no utensils at Ethiopian places, but otherwise great except for the steak tartar--very chewy.

Hot Doug's. Good. Not really worth a 1.5 hour wait, but good.

Kuma's Corner. Finally stopped by for lunch just last Friday. Overhyped. Granted, the burger was good, but way too much hype. Beer selection good for a small place. But after 1 burger and 1 beer for lunch the total was $20 before tip.

Al's Beef in River North. I've been here twice now and the Italian beef was good, but I swear the fries are the best I've had in the city. Better than Hot Doug's duck fat fires no joke.

Hannah's Bretzel off Washington & Wells downtown. The pretzels are good, but the Manchego/Proscutto sandwich on a pretzel roll was the best they had even if it was $8.

Intelligensia coffee and Metropolis coffee are great. My favorite is Ventrella's on N. Damen right next to Over Easy. It's really chill, the pannini's are great, but the homemade gelato is what I'm looking forward to this summer. Speaking of Over Easy--I've been there twice and not impressed. $12 for an omlette with some ranchero sauce on it...I'd rather go to:

Isabella's Guatemalan Bakery on Foster and Paulina. Excellent pastries. I want to try the ribs.

Cosign on Sultan's Market. I eat there often enough, and I love it.

There's a greek place in Lincoln Square called Barba Yianni or something like that. Really awesome food there. Huge portions too.

Sticky Rice at irving park and western is good thai food, but they had their license suspended, so I may not eat there anymore.

• 2 months later...

Feed on Chicago and California has some good fried chicken and burgers. Not ethnic food, but definitely worth checking out. Shit makes me cheat on being a vegetarian it's that good.

I bike past chickpea on the daily. I've been meaning to stop by on my day off. I'll definitely try it out.

• 2 weeks later...

itto sushi as it is about the only japanese owned sushi place in the city. on that same vibe, yoshi's cafe in belmont is very awesome and reasonably cheap on thursdays.

agree on india grill.

lots of decent cheap mediteranean. baba pita is ridiculously cheap and has addictive hummus dishes.

i really want to check out sun wah but my friends are retarded and i end up at pos trendy crap all the time instead

if anyone knows a spot to find innis and gunn in chicago, i'll love you forever and swallow

Golden Age

1744 W. 18th Street

Chicago, IL 60608

l_4956d961359d0efb1a6099944861b064.jpg

-Great shop for independent magazine, artist books, music, and other media. A nice selection you wouldn't be able to find elsewhere in Chicago.

Highly Recommended

www.shopgoldenage.com

Not much on here about good Chicago shop's for art related products...more spots, please go ahead and post up.

• 1 year later...

Go ahead and look through the shopping thread, it has pretty much all the stuff you listed in it. There's also a thread about Chicago food that has good restaurant recommendations, or just read through http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=1fb3d32e5e7059f3122178dd8e80df3e

Don't know about hostels except for there's one down in the south loop right by the big Columbia college dorm. It shares an entrance with Cafecito which is a really good sandwich shop, and around the corner from Epic Burger.

I was just in Chicago and here are a few things I did during my short stay.

Millenium Park: saw Cloud Gate and the Pritzker Pavillion

Magnificent Mile: Shopping and such

Art Institute

Wrigley Field

Sears Tower/Hancock tower

Wanted to go to the acquarium and planetarium but didn't have time.

Food:

Kumas: One of the best burgers i've had, my friend said it was one of the top burger places in Chicago.

Deep Dish: went to a place called Giordanos which is a block or two from sears tower. Heard there are other better places though

it really seems like there's no good independent hostel in chicago; but consider parthenon in greektown and tell me how you like it... it's kind of out of the way, but i really hate the hostel in the loop.

food... i've heard good things about Mana's on Division if you're not into meat.

^^ why would you come to chicago if you dont like meat

polish sausages

hawt dawgz

italian beef

chicago deep dish

sausages like you wouldn't believe

fried chicken

more fried chicken

ribs

oh god i'm goin to die before 30

hot doug's i've heard is legendary.

wow bao in downtown is hilarious just for the set-up

fuck i've got to ask my friend about good pizzas

intelligentsia coffee for the best coffee bar none

i'd definitely swing by wicker park, esp now since the weather is so nice. dude, coming from california and the brown/green seasons, i've just had a blast riding around enjoying the fall leaves. i'll try and be more comprehensive about places. as for meet-ups, i'm really only free every other weekend, lol. when are you coming to chicago?