Jobs

tick_tock

Jason , on Monday I want you to clean your desk. You think our company is just some hoo ha party party recreational bullshit firm? You're fired.

I bet you didn't expect your boss to be on superfuture as well but I've been tracking your history, it's really a shame.

My job is fucking awesome.

I work for a software startup in downtown Palo Alto. We get free breakfast/lunch/dinner, beer, soda, juice, wine, snacks, etc. Anyone you want that they don't stock? Put a request and done. I asked for fresh coffee beans from my favorite coffee shop in Seattle...done. Someone asked for a pizza overnighted from NYC...done. In 2010, the company went through about 133,000 pounds of food for 300 people.

We get a free message each week, free laundry/dry cleaning, free gym membership (that I never use), free parking, $500 monthly rent subsidy if you live within a mile from the company. I visit the onsite chiropractor about once a month and he pops by back and neck into place. It feels amazing.

We had our annual holiday party at the SF MoMA. Rented out the whole place, open bar, 80s cover band, ice sculptures and all that shit.

There's an annual ski trip to Tahoe which the company pays for, including food, cabins and ski tickets.

I come into work whenever I want (usually around 10:30 or 11am) and leave most days by 7:30pm. Although I've worked as late as 10:30pm, it's not a regular thing.

My job is fucking awesome.

I work for a software startup in downtown Palo Alto. We get free breakfast/lunch/dinner, beer, soda, juice, wine, snacks, etc. Anyone you want that they don't stock? Put a request and done. I asked for fresh coffee beans from my favorite coffee shop in Seattle...done. Someone asked for a pizza overnighted from NYC...done. In 2010, the company went through about 133,000 pounds of food for 300 people.

We get a free message each week, free laundry/dry cleaning, free gym membership (that I never use), free parking, $500 monthly rent subsidy if you live within a mile from the company. I visit the onsite chiropractor about once a month and he pops by back and neck into place. It feels amazing.

We had our annual holiday party at the SF MoMA. Rented out the whole place, open bar, 80s cover band, ice sculptures and all that shit.

There's an annual ski trip to Tahoe which the company pays for, including food, cabins and ski tickets.

I come into work whenever I want (usually around 10:30 or 11am) and leave most days by 7:30pm. Although I've worked as late as 10:30pm, it's not a regular thing.

uhhh, are you guys hiring?

I'm 3 months into a job as a financial analyst for a bank in NYC. Hours aren't too bad, something like 9:30 to 7:30/8:00 on a typical day, but there is always the possibility of a 70+ hour week depending on whats going on. Before I started I was really concerned about working long hours, but (for good or bad) you get used to it. If you like what you are doing and you feel like you are learning valuable stuff 60 hours a week really isn't that bad. Not sure about 80+ though, personally I gladly prefer 60 hours a week and a smaller bonus, over the IB routine.

damn man. i can't even read my finance book for 70 seconds before i want to burn it

nice, what do you if you dont mind me asking??

i'm an account executive handling US sales of a UK brand. i sell to specialty stores and major accounts on the east coast and the midwest. its an interesting and challenging job. its a good skill to learn how to convince people who are essentially strangers to give your brand a shot when there are a TON of competing brands out there. i get to travel a fair bit to most major US markets (atlanta, chicago, boston, dc, vegas) and starting next year i'll be going to bread & butter in berlin. when things are good, you can also make lots of cash.

the downsides are that the hours can be brutal sometimes, many of these stores have major attitude issues and a highly inflated sense of self (joe schmoe in NJ thinks his store is at the same level as bergdorf goodman), and you have to be smart with your money because you are paid differently than a normal job. since your are selling things 6-8 months in advance, and you don't get paid until the product ships, its a whole lot different than your traditional payment structure.

i got into it through connections, and i think that's how most people do.... an acquaintance ended up recommending me for an internship, which i busted my ass at and got hired after a month of working for free. if you are interested in the field, i would recommend networking your ass off, and expect to work for free for a period of time (thats why its best to get started early, like during school or right after graduation).

How many ppl started out at the bottom of a hedge fund (jr. associate aka coffee runner) and clawed there way up. How much will they pay me and how much will my life suck.

Thank you.

Really depends.

I know a couple of people who have gone this route but in this day and age it will take too long to get anywhere respectable, unless you are well connected of course. Even when you do eventually get on a desk, you won't have much responsibility for years. Personally I wouldn't bother - and yes, your life will suck being a shit-kicker.

From experience, a lot of people name drop and say they work at a hedge fund. I know a girl who claimed that her boyfriend worked for an English hedge fund. When I eventually met him he knew fuck all and was a bit of a muppet. Just telling me hedge fund this, hedge fund that. Going nowhere fast.

However in saying that, when you're young is the best time to just say 'fuck it' and go work for some start-up and chase them billions.

I wish I could be given 5mio cash and told to go nuts...

Jason , on Monday I want you to clean your desk. You think our company is just some hoo ha party party recreational bullshit firm? You're fired.

I bet you didn't expect your boss to be on superfuture as well but I've been tracking your history, it's really a shame.

lol! if this actually happened to me I would shit my pants. and cry.

How many ppl started out at the bottom of a hedge fund (jr. associate aka coffee runner) and clawed there way up. How much will they pay me and how much will my life suck.

Thank you.

Depends on the hedge fund, how good you are at networking, how much you know about finance/whatever the fund's specialty is. I'd say it's a long shot, but if you have no better opportunities currently, then why not? And yeah, your life will definitely suck if you're a gopher for a hedge fund.

but i heard you have limited choice in who you fuck when you start out, as you may have to fuck men if the director/boss thinks that will make money.

legendary story for all you uninformed sufu folk