Jobs

tick_tock

• 1 year later...

I manage a team who develop keywords for search marketing campaigns. Really putting that history degree to work...

Hey all,

I was just kinda curious as to what everyone does to pay the bills? I'm in the middle of trying to figure out what to do for a career in life and I could use some ideas.

I took audio engineering/music production at an arts college, but now I'm starting to find it's not the most stable way to make a living. I've been doing free-lance graphic design for years now, and I'm pretty well versed in the major design programs, so I've been thinking of getting into that.

It's just depressing, because my education cost a lot, and no really great opportunities have come up.

Hey man do what you like!

So hello, Im new to this fourm but have been trolling for a while. :)

I started bartending when I was 16 (ish) and bussing tables (bartending when the bartender didnt show or came late) and eventually worked for the number 1 hotel in Louisiana (last year) and quit to travel (and beat up my jeans for once). I realized that its shit and I can make really good money doing it but I love photography, which is how I have been making my money recently. I dont make anything compared to bartending but it allows me to travel and do what I want. I also do audio enginering as well and it doesnt pay the bills either, its more or less a hobby now .

If you goto school for marketing you can work as a graphic designer freelancing and make pretty good money, a few friends of mine have gone this route.

My job is fucking awesome.

I work for a software startup in downtown Palo Alto. We get free breakfast/lunch/dinner, beer, soda, juice, wine, snacks, etc. Anyone you want that they don't stock? Put a request and done. I asked for fresh coffee beans from my favorite coffee shop in Seattle...done. Someone asked for a pizza overnighted from NYC...done. In 2010, the company went through about 133,000 pounds of food for 300 people.

We get a free message each week, free laundry/dry cleaning, free gym membership (that I never use), free parking, $500 monthly rent subsidy if you live within a mile from the company. I visit the onsite chiropractor about once a month and he pops by back and neck into place. It feels amazing.

We had our annual holiday party at the SF MoMA. Rented out the whole place, open bar, 80s cover band, ice sculptures and all that shit.

There's an annual ski trip to Tahoe which the company pays for, including food, cabins and ski tickets.

I come into work whenever I want (usually around 10:30 or 11am) and leave most days by 7:30pm. Although I've worked as late as 10:30pm, it's not a regular thing.

Has your software been commoditized yet? Because usually when start ups have to start actually making money, that's where the problems show up.

Guest naknakBeast

Counselor for the dept of mental health

boring so i spend alot of time on here.

i hear some pretty cool stories,easy hours,flexible and state bennnyy'sss

I work for what used to be a financial startup in the US.

When we were only 30 employees 60-80 hours a week, weekends too.

Now that we're 400, work 9-5, occasionally till 7 or 8.

Interesting to hear that.

i guess it makes sense that with startups you just have to pick up the extra load, or else it will fail.

I think working from 9-5 is great, and i wouldn't mind staying occasionally to 7 or so, but if it was consistently i would not be able to take it. I know my friends in Investment banking have it tough regarding the long hours, sometimes they sit around without any work to do, but they are still there in the office in case any workflow comes through.

for those who work in finance, what are your work hours like, and what country are you from?

i'm in Canada. was in IB before so as expected, hours were bad (think consistently 80+ with at least a full week-end day every week). now in PE so it varies from 9-5 with a 2 hours gym break at lunch to 100+. probably average around 60-65 or so and can generally manage free week-ends unless it's crunch time on transaction.

I'm 3 months into a job as a financial analyst for a bank in NYC. Hours aren't too bad, something like 9:30 to 7:30/8:00 on a typical day, but there is always the possibility of a 70+ hour week depending on whats going on. Before I started I was really concerned about working long hours, but (for good or bad) you get used to it. If you like what you are doing and you feel like you are learning valuable stuff 60 hours a week really isn't that bad. Not sure about 80+ though, personally I gladly prefer 60 hours a week and a smaller bonus, over the IB routine.