Jobs

tick_tock

Hey all,

I was just kinda curious as to what everyone does to pay the bills? I'm in the middle of trying to figure out what to do for a career in life and I could use some ideas.

I took audio engineering/music production at an arts college, but now I'm starting to find it's not the most stable way to make a living. I've been doing free-lance graphic design for years now, and I'm pretty well versed in the major design programs, so I've been thinking of getting into that.

It's just depressing, because my education cost a lot, and no really great opportunities have come up.

I do graphic & web design. I used to get paid 20/hr in high school and 30/hr my last job (after first year of college). If you have a good resume and an even better portfolio (although don't expect college to get you there), everyone will be eager to pick you up. Down the line with enough experience you can try to get a job as an Art Director or a Creative Director.. both can be six figure jobs with the right company.

The only thing is, unless you absolutely love doing it, I would avoid it. It's an over-saturated market with almost anybody who can play with Photoshop claiming to be a designer.. only those who are passionate about their work get awesome clients or get picked up by agencies.

half of the people here are in college, a quarter work their ass off, and the rest have rich friends/parents/relatives.

What if you're all three? :o

to contribute – Looking forward to four more years of school, yippee. Otherwise, I'm going to find a job in the biotech/informatics sector.

Failing that, I'm gonna be a pro surfer.

What if you're all three? :o

to contribute – Looking forward to four more years of school, yippee. Otherwise, I'm going to find a job in the biotech/informatics sector.

Failing that, I'm gonna be a pro surfer.

pro surfing is hard. i know a couple who have sponsors but they're insane.

i am... in a limbo and taking a hiatus from school right now.

redX - That sounds pretty sweet! I loved chemistry in highschool. What do you plan to do after your internship?

naked - Would you suggest taking any major schooling or mainly just some "brush up" courses to add to your resume/portfolio?

Thanks for all the post guys! Interesting to see how people keep the closet stocked!

resume studying, finish my bachelor. look at the job market, realize we're still in a recession, continue studying till i get my masters degree, follow up with a Ph D (if that's how you say it in english)

by that time we ain't got no recession no mo' so i can get a balla job :P

• 1 month later...

just graduated from a 4 year graphic design program, looking for work in the industry (the town I'm in has fuck all to offer) currently wasting my days away at an independent music store which is on the verge of being bought out by an HMV.

I work at CVS pharmacy, and shoot photos for a company called Southcoast Photographic, which does high school sports and yearbook photos. I'm also going to Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa getting my AA in photography, then probably going on to a Cal State to get my bachelors or masters.

just graduated from a 4 year graphic design program, looking for work in the industry (the town I'm in has fuck all to offer) currently wasting my days away at an independent music store which is on the verge of being bought out by an HMV.

funny, the company I mentioned in this post just declared bankruptcy this afternoon. The store was seized and shut down in the middle of my shift.

made for an interesting day

graduated school with business and marketing

dont do anything right now to do with either of those... except working for a business haha.

still wanna travel and act a fool before i buckle down and get a real job i actually like.

I'd really like to open a high end stationary boutique. I also have two ideas for web businesses, just not sure how to execute

still in toronto (well just outside) just working some bullshit for now.

went to new zealand last summer for 4 months (for their winter) to snowboard

I'm going to Australia this winter for a couple weeks (for their summer) to surf

You still in Toronto? What do you do around here...

You never came out to any of the meetups eh? Dont remember meeting you but i know you've been around here since back in the day

still in toronto (well just outside) just working some bullshit for now.

went to new zealand last summer for 4 months (for their winter) to snowboard

I'm going to Australia this winter for a couple weeks (for their summer) to surf

You still in Toronto? What do you do around here...

You never came out to any of the meetups eh? Dont remember meeting you but i know you've been around here since back in the day

hahah yeah i see you popping in the TO thread once in a while and being suprised that i'm from here too.

still in school.

yeah i was away from town so i missed the first ever meetup held by axtsang so i never really acquainted with any other TO-ers. lol i guess thats why i am always outta the loop for any mini meet ups and whatnot.

At first I felt retarded for taking hard classes and then fucking around and doing terribly in them but not I see that it's going to work out fine. The semi-cc that I'm at is cheaper and I can just get all of the prereqs done to apply for Psych school at UW while all of my friends have loans up the ass to pay for equivalent classes taught by grad students with about double the class size. In the end we'll end up with the same degrees but I'll have to pay a fraction that they do overall :)

That being said I have no source of income (might find some shitty do-nothing job on campus)