Superfashion randoms thoughts

Guest jmatsu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Royal Alberta Museum got an exhibit from the EMP with a bunch of old runway pieces from Number (N)ine, Comme, Junya, and Gaultier.

Pretty sure most of it came from the EMP Seattle showing on leather jackets, but they're nice pieces nonetheless, and worth checking out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hard time reconciling between what I think to be the 'product-oriented' side of fashion where you look for interesting, wearable, nice quality stuff that fills some sort of hole in your wardrobe or that you aimlessly collect and build outfits around with the more 'intellectual' side of it where the designer or whatever is selling you a story or lifestyle that you buy into and hopefully resonates with you. I've been looking more into the latter and trying to have a more meaningful relationship with my purchases and trying to understand what exactly I'm buying into but I always feel a bit embarrassed lurking conversations on brands I already own and realising I only have a mediocre understanding of them. Sure I might look at the runway show/lookbook, see designer interviews and lurk a couple of threads on sz but I just never seem to really connect with 90% of it. I'll usually just end up looking at the clothes individually in the hope of finding something interesting I might wear. Maybe it's because I don't really know what I want to look like beyond "I'd wear sneakers more than dress shoes in this stage of my life" kinda thing because I only recently started caring about how I looked like but I just don't know how the people usually posting in the runway threads seem to click with and understand what the brands are putting out. They also seem to be the ones who usually have a concrete vision of where they want to take their wardrobes and it kinda makes me jealous.

I see nothing wrong with this

sex sells. that is all.

tumblr_m4coixx6_TJ1r2oenzo1_1280.jpg

I know this was a while ago but it's never too late to challenge other peoples ideas.

For you to say "I see nothing wrong with this" and for others to accept this just shows you are all a product of a society that is forever finding ever more ridiculous ways to objectify the female body, as demonstrated above.

They are objectified in the sense that they are portrayed as an object to be desired.

Yes sex is natural but I do not believe that using woman's' bodies as a carrot on a stick in the name of higher turnover or profit is.

Can we compare male sexualisation to that of the female gender when it is so disproportionate in scale and quality (I don't see no perfume bottles covering the actual arsehole of a man lol)? Yes I believe so, but to do so to deny the existence of sexism has no base in reality. That reality is that woman are treated as inferior to males and the images above only proliferate such ideas and in whose interests is it to split society into two, divide and rule no less?

"The human body under capitalism is thus ï¬ssured down the middle, traumatically divided between brute materialism and capricious idealism, either too wanting or too whimsical, hacked to the bone or bloated with perverse eroticism"

I have a hard time reconciling between what I think to be the 'product-oriented' side of fashion where you look for interesting, wearable, nice quality stuff that fills some sort of hole in your wardrobe or that you aimlessly collect and build outfits around with the more 'intellectual' side of it where the designer or whatever is selling you a story or lifestyle that you buy into and hopefully resonates with you. I've been looking more into the latter and trying to have a more meaningful relationship with my purchases and trying to understand what exactly I'm buying into but I always feel a bit embarrassed lurking conversations on brands I already own and realising I only have a mediocre understanding of them. Sure I might look at the runway show/lookbook, see designer interviews and lurk a couple of threads on sz but I just never seem to really connect with 90% of it. I'll usually just end up looking at the clothes individually in the hope of finding something interesting I might wear. Maybe it's because I don't really know what I want to look like beyond "I'd wear sneakers more than dress shoes in this stage of my life" kinda thing because I only recently started caring about how I looked like but I just don't know how the people usually posting in the runway threads seem to click with and understand what the brands are putting out. They also seem to be the ones who usually have a concrete vision of where they want to take their wardrobes and it kinda makes me jealous.

Building an aesthetic sense takes time. As with everything. But language is our main tool for understanding so read some books or magazines and try to see what others see when looking at these clothes. 

Edit:Also, nevermind the bullshit.

Edited by TIMDOT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"So, uh, after that Undercover collab and hiring Nigo, I guess we're all tapped out, what are we going to do?"

"Well, it worked last time, and it seems Theory are intent on driving Lang's name even further into the ground, let's see if Plokhov wants to do another collaboration"

http://racked.com/archives/2014/09/03/helmut-lang-uniqlo.php

Pictures are up and it still hasn't dissuaded me - this is going to be shit

Edited by Saturdaynight Big Nukeman

didn't read the article.  i'm only posting for the stacked sneakers

sneaked sneakers hot look for 2015 and 2051

vRUuET6.jpg

http://contact.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowAllQuestions&iid=251633345080&requested=samuel846&redirect=0&frm=2047675&ShowASQAlways=1&ssPageName=PageAskSellerQuestion_VI

Q :  I was wondering, about what size is this jacket, as far as United States measurements (S, M, L, XL, etc.)? I see that you've listed it as size 48, but is that UK measurements or Italian measurements? I apologize if this is a ridiculous question. 09-sept.-14
R :  In the broadest sense this is a 'ridiculous' question. But I shall try to answer most efficiently. Perhaps treat yourself to looking at some styling of it on the Internet to understand what I am saying. This jacket is oversized and is intended that way. The only thing on this jacket that fits a 48 is the shoulders. The rest of the jacket is designed to be oversized. I think this jacket would have been XXL or XL at least and Raf redesigned it for a 48 oversized. that's the point 'Raf Simons’ early work was subversive, youthful and raw. This MA-1 looks like it’s straight out of a cyberpunk flick but was part of the collection SUMMA CUM LAUDE, which was inspired both by Mensa students and the gabba subculture. The cut is oversized, puffy and imposing but in a way that I could only describe as ‘near-perfect’. This is definetly a grail for the ages.'

What a little piece of shit. ciler.gif

/could be posted in supertrash, but his answer about the Raf Simons bomber belongs right here

Edited by Trinity

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

those spacemen 3 tees, not that you fuckers listen to them

Spiritualized's "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space" is one of the most acclaimed albums of the 90s, I don't think it's a stretch to guess that most people have heard Spacemen 3, so no need to get huffy about it. I mean, even Mail-Moth listens to Spacemen 3

Spiritualized's "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space" is one of the most acclaimed albums of the 90s, I don't think it's a stretch to guess that most people have heard Spacemen 3, so no need to get huffy about it. I mean, even Mail-Moth listens to Spacemen 3

tumblr_mxa7zzHDTA1somw7ho2_500_zpscdb93c

I've always been told "act like you belong and you'll have no issues" but I can't help feel the same way, even when I just keep to myself. The staff doesn't know me nor have they ever seen me before but I can't help but get that same feeling. I know it's ridiculous but that's just the way it is. Fuck it, I still check everything out and if I come across a sales associate who's down to earth that makes everything much more enjoyable. 

late to this shit

but i love watching chinese dudes in tshirts jean cutoffs and flip flops taking out stacks of $$$ to pay in LV