Superfashion randoms thoughts

Guest jmatsu

kanye cant pull off a skirt.

this past year i have seen about a half dozen "kanye cosplay" dudes in the wild

i think it's hilarious to watch people who once started beastin over jordans move onto leather skirts

http://vimeo.com/34291555

Its nice to know that he (Kanye) cares about style and silhouettes enough to experiment with it until he gets it just right. And hey, as silly as Kanye cosplayers may look, he has at least inspired them to try something new by using his influence to drive fashion into the consciousness of his fans. I am happy to see people choosing to become knowledgeable about clothing in the same way that people have been knowledgeable about music and movies. Fashion is an especially interesting form of entertainment because it visually communicates the personality of a person in the present where music and movies provide an idea of a person or group at a particular point in a time already past.

Its nice to know that he (Kanye) cares about style and silhouettes enough to experiment with it until he gets it just right. And hey, as silly as Kanye cosplayers may look, he has at least inspired them to try something new by using his influence to drive fashion into the consciousness of his fans. I am happy to see people choosing to become knowledgeable about clothing in the same way that people have been knowledgeable about music and movies. Fashion is an especially interesting form of entertainment because it visually communicates the personality of a person in the present where music and movies provide an idea of a person or group at a particular point in a time already past.

Kanye wearing a skirt that looks bad isn't expanding fashion the masses; it just makes him a bad role model.

He's pushing conventional clothing boundaries, if you prefer that wording. Shoes, pants, shirts, and jackets are the basic building blocks of the everyday male and usually kilts or long tees meant for layering would not enter their consciousness. From experiences working retail, those who are fashion aware like SuFu denizens are a minority, not a majority.

Okonomi, for Watch the Throne (even if you did not enjoy the majority of the album, as I found I did) the choice of clothing suited the tour. The thrust of the album was wealth and power, so his goal would logically be to find a look that was "richer and more next level." It fits with the imagery of Egyptian mythology as well, which pops up in the lyrics on WTT and of course the Eye of Horus on the air Yeezy's, some of Kanye's jewelry, etc.

I am curious whether "carbon copying" consists of wearing Givenchy for WTT or...? In the post it comes across as wearing a designer is carbon copying them but such an idea is odd. I don't see people on WAYWT being called copycats for wearing clothes.

And lets address Givenchy as a trashy brand with ugly clothes. It seems like a design-based rebuttal, which I respect, but with high-fashion brands a great deal of hate is often thrown around based on price point. Clothing is a multi-tiered industry where at some point you are no longer paying for materials but rather for design. But other industries work the exact same way. When you pay more and more for a car, for example, you start out paying for materials but eventually pay for design and engineering. We could say that people who drive Bugatti's are driving ugly cars sold to them by trashy brands, but what appeals to people in design is quite personal.

He's pushing conventional clothing boundaries, if you prefer that wording. Shoes, pants, shirts, and jackets are the basic building blocks of the everyday male and usually kilts or long tees meant for layering would not enter their consciousness. From experiences working retail, those who are fashion aware like SuFu denizens are a minority, not a majority.

Okonomi, for Watch the Throne (even if you did not enjoy the majority of the album, as I found I did) the choice of clothing suited the tour. The thrust of the album was wealth and power, so his goal would logically be to find a look that was "richer and more next level." It fits with the imagery of Egyptian mythology as well, which pops up in the lyrics on WTT and of course the Eye of Horus on the air Yeezy's, some of Kanye's jewelry, etc.

I am curious whether "carbon copying" consists of wearing Givenchy for WTT or...? In the post it comes across as wearing a designer is carbon copying them but such an idea is odd. I don't see people on WAYWT being called copycats for wearing clothes.

And lets address Givenchy as a trashy brand with ugly clothes. It seems like a design-based rebuttal, which I respect, but with high-fashion brands a great deal of hate is often thrown around based on price point. Clothing is a multi-tiered industry where at some point you are no longer paying for materials but rather for design. But other industries work the exact same way. When you pay more and more for a car, for example, you start out paying for materials but eventually pay for design and engineering. We could say that people who drive Bugatti's are driving ugly cars sold to them by trashy brands, but what appeals to people in design is quite personal.

When I said carbon copying I was referring to the cosplayers - they're really not trying anything new by just doing what he does. Saying his clothes suit the wealth and power of the album is pretty much moot considering that's the thrust of every mainstream hip hop album. Most non-mainstream too for that matter.

I do not buy this idea that people are paying for the 'design and engineering' of Givenchy. Bulldog t-shirt, bulldog sweatshirt, what'll they engineer next!? Frankly I don't think you do either. People buy Bugattis cause they're fast and expensive and everybody knows it. While yes fast is an engineering aspect, for Bugatti it's at the cost of having - supposedly- shitehouse handling. So really the engineering is for show isn't it?

Who's buying Givenchy due to a personal appeal to the design? Maybe like, only five people in the world would buy their clothes for the price without knowing the brand and the implications of wearing it. Last time I met a girl wearing Givenchy I pretened not to know it and went, "What's up with that t-shirt?" All she could say was, "Dude this is Givenchy it cost $xxx."

Is anybody familiar with label Cash CA? On their website they appear to be a knitwear company (womens only?) but hereI found a very nice selection of dope jawns. I is confused.

cash ca is for dudes as well

http://hypebeast.com/tags/cash-ca

shows a bunch of menswear.

edit: i beleive what you're getting mixed up is i think there is 2 cash ca.

one from england whichi s womenswear only and cash ca for japan. which is where you got those pics.

Edited by wahwho11

When I said carbon copying I was referring to the cosplayers - they're really not trying anything new by just doing what he does. Saying his clothes suit the wealth and power of the album is pretty much moot considering that's the thrust of every mainstream hip hop album. Most non-mainstream too for that matter.

I do not buy this idea that people are paying for the 'design and engineering' of Givenchy. Bulldog t-shirt, bulldog sweatshirt, what'll they engineer next!? Frankly I don't think you do either. People buy Bugattis cause they're fast and expensive and everybody knows it. While yes fast is an engineering aspect, for Bugatti it's at the cost of having - supposedly- shitehouse handling. So really the engineering is for show isn't it?

Who's buying Givenchy due to a personal appeal to the design? Maybe like, only five people in the world would buy their clothes for the price without knowing the brand and the implications of wearing it. Last time I met a girl wearing Givenchy I pretened not to know it and went, "What's up with that t-shirt?" All she could say was, "Dude this is Givenchy it cost $xxx."

Well your clarifications definitely help a lot, and I understand why you are unhappy with cosplayers and those who choose to wear Givenchy much better. I am fully onboard with people actually knowing why they buy a product and dressing in a way that is an expression of self rather than armor between their honest personality and others. However, even though they are copying him it is something new for them personally to be wearing a skirt or something similar.

As far as Kanye goes, I mentioned I was not terribly enthused with Watch the Throne because, like you said, it seems like all anyone in the mainstream eye can think about is power and money, and that gets old fast. I much preferred other albums because they were at least musically ambitious if not always lyrically. I actually just posted my top 50 albums in Superculture, and a lot of my favorites reside in the realm of hip-hop that strays from the beaten path. Artists Like Blu and Exile, the Roots, Blue Scholars, Aesop Rock, Brother Ali, Binary Star, etc.

With Givenchy, I get that it isn't appealing to you. Givenchy is garish, its expensive, I don't think production standards are through the roof; it is a multitude of things that make zero sense for someone like myself. However, I went and saw Danny Brown last night at the Neptune in Seattle, and he showed up in the Givenchy shark pullover, a Moncler beanie, what looked like a Rick Owens-esque top, jeans, and black shoes. And you know what? It made sense on him. Danny Brown is a crazy guy who makes fucked up but enjoyable music, and he is finally making hip-hop money. He has been making music for a long time, and now that he has reached a place where he is getting attention/cash flow, its nice to be able to show that off in some way. He was also touring with A$AP, so it only makes sense that some of the high-fashion look reinforced by their crew rubbed off on him.

Their current "signature pieces" or often seen pieces are certainly not something I am impressed by, but I have liked some of their collections in the past. Would I be likely to purchase from them? Certainly not. But can I see how someone might choose to do so if they had the money? Yes. To me tt only makes sense to wear Givenchy if you make Givenchy money.I wouldn't buy one Givenchy t-shirt because I think its so great.

• 2 weeks later...