Superfashion randoms thoughts

Guest jmatsu

Potentially devastating news for Raf Simons: as of today, the designer's namesake company and its global master licensee, Futurepresent, have suspended business relations. In an email sent out this afternoon to all Raf Simons clients, Futurepresent CEO Stefano Martinetto announced that the business relationship will be suspended for the Fall/Winter 2011-2012 collection, and that all buying appointments were therefore cancelled.

"It is with great regret that we are obliged to announce that the collaboration between Futurepresent s.r.l. and Mr. Raf Simons will be suspended for the A/W 2011-12 collection. Unfortunately we therefore have no choice but to cancel all Raf Simons AW 2011-12 appointments at our showroom... We can confirm that we will proceed with the SS11 production deliveries. In the mean time we thank Mr. Simons and the present and past members of his design team for these years of intense and inspiring collaboration and would also like to take this opportunity to express our extreme gratitude for your support from 2005 until today."

Raf Simons is scheduled to show his Fall 2011 offering tomorrow night 9:00pm Paris time. According to reports from company reps this will still go ahead, but one can only assume that with all buyers' appointments cancelled, unless a third party steps in, the collection itself will not go into production.

Conspiracy theorists searching for distress signals won't have to look far – Raf Simons' Fall 2011 show is named Dead Prince College, and the invitation bears the words "FALL OF THE PRINCE".

Futurepresent does the licensing and distribution for all of Raf's lines - mainline and diffusion(s). I think they basically financially backed him, like Prada did with Helmut Lang and Jil Sander. Under Futurepresent management, he licensed his name everywhere - deals with Linda Farrow, Fred Perry, Doc Marten, etc. and I think his vision suffered because of that. Hopefully, he refocuses on his mainline and goes back to his roots

273x2-VEjGk

"They're the most functional thing: it's almost a cross between a men's flannel shirt and a t-shirt. All they are - are vests in boiled cashmere-- double-faced boiled cashmere, and they’re so functional! It's like the
most practical thing. They’re -- I call them “liners”, because it’s kind of like the lining of a coat, and you can just put it under your jacket, you can put it under your coat. And it looks cool, it looks like your dress or it can be draped. It kind of one of those things that maybe you can make it look extreme, or it can be so simple, and functional. And yeah, it’s not trying too hard, it’s one of those – every once in a while I do something good."

EDIT: wierd... if you are trying to watch the video, I think you will get a message that says"This video contains content from afp, who has blocked it from display on this website."
Just click through on the video and watch it directly on youtube.

AFP doesn't want their shit reposted on sufu ?

fuck

pretty much everybody love this shit

i dont get it.

could be cool if it was from another designer or something, but riccardo can do WAY BETTER than this.

expensive clothes for mallgoths

everytime i try to look at the collection and find some good points, i just the dog-printed stuff and close the window.

i just hope the w's collection wont reflect this.

lanvin mens F/W 11 is beautiful

Brb. Checking that ish right now.

Edit: I am loving that red look, and the one crazy knit thrown in there. Not sure how I feel about the hats and "Ipad clutches".

Somehow everybody is on that mountain boot steez this season.

I went to high school with Andrej Pejic, he was a couple of years below me but i remember being at some party once (mad wasted) and seeing his tall head sticking out a crowd, makeuped the fuck out and thinking it was some bomb ass euro babe. Kept seeing him throughout the night and thinking who is this fly beezy? Till i realized the next morning looking through photos of the party it was him....

Can we get fashion houses to quit using Asian models? Louis Vuitton chose an asian guy as the face to one of their campaigns and had a whole Asia inspired runway presentation, Givenchy has a whole haute couture spread with only asian models, and hilariously, Diane von Furstenberg is off blowing half of China trying to build business ventures (while also criticizing Michelle Obama for not wearing an American designer's dress to a state dinner).

I get it. China is the next great luxury market. Maybe you can try bending over in the back room and not making it so obvious out front? Also, LV could cut back on the vaguely racist Dragon Lady collections. But that was just funny.

yes. all fashion models should be white

wtf?

Read the last paragraph. It's insulting to Asians and sad for fashion houses to do so only to pander to a presumed Asian clientele. LV using an asian model for one of their men's photo campaigns? How many Asian male modes do you know? I can think of two albino models and not one Asian.

i don't really think so. being asian i think its nice to see clothing that i'm interested in modeled on asian bodies. it helps me visualize it more and i can understand why people would feel its more relatable as well. like so what if these companies are using asian models because more asians are buying clothes? isnt that why most models are white? because most of luxury clothing consumption is by white people? i don't think i'm understanding your point.

also, are you talking about males only? because, uh, daul kim (rip) and devon aoki? so if there are asian female models why not males.

I will agree with you that throwing dragon prints on your Gucci bags to show China that "we know asians" is kind of corny and a little disrespectful.

On the side of modeling, I am happy that bigger brands are interested in perusing more than your average European dreamboat and pulling models from all walks and backgrounds. DVF, has that gorgeous girl in her spring campaign and kenzo decided to pull a trifecta to cover all bases for the man campaign, though it is super obvious.

Now if we can only get magazines to stop publishing "Black issues" we could be on to something.

Racial monopolization of the runway is never a good thing. That being said, the fact that most runway models are white (of the European variety) is probably reflective of the fact that most designers are European in origin. I get the same awkward feeling looking at a Junya Watanabe show that's exclusively caucasian as I would seeing a Hermes show that was entirely asian, or african for that matter. To a certain extent I agree with Hang the DJ, pandering to an emerging market just makes a fashion house look like a whore.

yes, we need/want diversity, but let's be real, the companies don't even care about what we think of that because azns are like OMG MORE AZNS ON THE CATWALK AND CAMPAIGNS - LETS BUY LUXURY JAWNZ (since they represent them) and the houses will be happily laughing, looking at all the money made in asia.

& as far as i love asian girls, i want my white wiminz on the catwalk and ads

just saw this and thought i should add it the the "making azn money" discussion

Miuccia Prada On China, the Web — and More

“There are fashionable people here that you wouldn’t even find in Paris, New York or London,” Miuccia Prada said of the burgeoning Chinese market. “They have already understood everything that they had to understand.”

[...]

The show is part of Prada’s plan to continue to expand in the region as it opens more stores in Mainland China and nearby territories.

“In a country like this, there is a special desire for rich products,” Prada told WWD in an exclusive interview in which she discussed a vast range of subjects, including her company’s potential initial public offering, the challenges of globalization, fast fashion and her views on the art world.

source

youre white yeah?

yea