Ooe yofukuten world tour 2009-2010

pomata

Small update from yesterday.

What I wore to work

pb060080.jpg

Crazy temperatures in the midwest. 70 degrees, or 21 Celsius for my fellow Europeans. It's ****ing November! I'm ready for some obscenely cold weather! Why else did I buy a Canada Goose parka?

pb060088.jpg

After work I walked over to campus to meet my wife. Every first Friday of the month there's an artwalk in town, where all the museums have free admittance and free food. We went to the University art gallery.

pb060092.jpg

pb060097.jpg

The spread. Meh.

pb060100.jpg

pb060101.jpg

The featured art was Dias de los Muertos related. Meh.

pb060099s.jpg

pb060105.jpg

pb060103.jpg

pb060104.jpg

After that some calzones for dinner and a birthday get together of a friend of my wife. Didn't take pics, sorry...

Another quick update.

Again I found a package waiting for me when I got home. I didn't know fedex delivers on Saturdays...

pb070079.jpg

Contents:

pb070084.jpg

Details:

pb070086.jpg

pb070088.jpg

Fit:

pb070083.jpg

Very lovely and soft and warm! Chest fits perfectly, length a little short for my disproportionately long torso... but doable. Hope these don't shrink too much...

Thanks for looking, I'll have more tomorrow!

pb070111.jpg

I had to wear red, because yesterday was gameday. One MUST wear red when outside anywhere in Nebraska on gameday. This is what Nebraska is all about. God, Country, Huskers, and not necessarily in that order. The stadium is the most important building in the whole state, by far. It holds about 85.000 people...

(Sorry about the poor picture quality, my camera doesn't perform very well at nighttime...)

pb070096.jpg

pb070093.jpg

pb070099.jpg

pb070100.jpg

People who don't get tickets to the game park as close as possible to the stadium and picnic at their car, they break out a tent, tv set, tables, chairs, coolers, grills, food, drinks, whatever. They call this tailgating, and they do it all over the place...

pb070105.jpg

pb070102.jpg

Spent ALL day in the kitchen today, cooking. So I figured I'd bring you my culinary episode in my leg of the world tour. I made cream cheese chicken enchiladas...

The loot from the grocery market:

pb080079.jpg

Started with making some fresh pico de gallo. Very easy, very tasty... Tomatoes, onions, jalapeno pepper, garlic, cilantro, lime and lemon juice, salt/pepper...

pb080087.jpg

pb080090.jpg

Remove the seeds if you don't want it to be too hot...

pb080093.jpg

pb080100.jpg

pb080105.jpg

And voila, perfect pico!

pb080110r.jpg

While I made the tortillas I marinated the chicken in olive oil, chipotle, smoked black pepper and lime and lemon juice.

pb080145.jpg

For tortillas I use masa harina. Not easy to find in conventional grocery stores here, but a staple in any Mexican market... Very convenient...

pb080115.jpg

Just add water to make the dough, roll it into equal balls...

pb080118.jpg

Press them...

pb080122.jpg

pb080123.jpg

pb080124.jpg

And dry fry, they only need 30 second on each side...

pb080125.jpg

16 mini tortillas in less than 20 minutes!

pb080128.jpg

The sauce... Onions, garlic, jalapenos...

pb080132.jpg

Silly me getting watery eyes from cutting the onion and then rubbing them with the hands that just touched the hot jalapeno...

pb080089.jpg

Saute and add tomatoes... I like fire roasted for this sauce...

pb080138.jpg

Spices: oregano, cumin, paprika, smoked paprika, smoked black pepper, cayenne, chipotle, salt...

pb080141.jpg

And (this freaks people out sometimes when they see it first) dark chocolate!

pb0800862.jpg

pb0800872.jpg

Here I started to forget to take pics of some steps... I baked the chicken and pulled it into small pieces.

I spread some cream cheese and refried beans on the tortillas and rolled the chicken into them

pb0801022.jpg

Cover with the sauce

pb0801052.jpg

Grated some colby and sharp cheddar cheese and spread it on top...

pb0800912.jpg

While it was in the oven I whipped up some guacamole

pb0800932.jpg

Looks kinda gross...

pb0800962.jpg

Baked it for an hour and grated some more cheese on top

pb0801232.jpg

All done... The pics of the finished dish came out so bad it's almost not worth posting them... :(

pb0801242.jpg

That's it... The next 3 days are going to be pretty thin again with updtes, if there's going to be any at all even... Check back in on Thursday!

Thanks everyone!

great updates; do you have a place in Nebraska where you can buy cote d'or chocolate or your family/friends mail them to you?

I can't buy it here. I stock up whenever I go home. Go to the Colruyt and buy several dozens of chocolate bars and one of those 5 kilo bags of Chocotoffs. Hersheys doesn't do it for me...

Quick mini update. Monday tuesday wednesday are busy days for me, no chances of getting out doing or taking pics of interesting stuff, so I figure I'd share a little bit. Might not be very interesting to everyone, but I feel bad about not updating at all in 3 days...

Got another package in the mail when I got home

pb090103.jpg

No denim or boots or sweatshirts in this one, but something else I spend alot of money and time on...

pb090108.jpg

New Sam Fuller movie collection... I love classic Hollywood movies, especially film noir and hardboiled crime stuff, and Sam Fuller is one of my favorites. Lately I always get a great gigly kick from spotting some selvage in one of those old movies...

Here's some of my modest collection...

pb090111.jpg

pb090113.jpg

I have a couple hundred still sitting in boxes in my basement because I don't have the shelfspace for them, and more still in storage back home in my parents' basement...

If I can ever stop myself from buying jeans and boots and shirts for a while I'd like to upgrade my tv to full HD and finally get a decent audio setup...

I just want to say that I love tortillas hecho a mano. There's a place near me in NYC that actually soaks corn in cal and grinds it into masa themselves daily.

Haga - the weather has been strangely mild on the east coast as well. It's reached almost 70 the past few days and there are still green leaves left on many trees.

Kudos on the jeans and the updates. Lets see some closeups of their current state!