Help me choose a car

Orion

Don't get me wrong, I love this car, but when something goes wrong it is an expensive fix; and the M5 x2 or x3 so. Preventative maint. is key, and everything I've worked on except for the throttle body failure was routine E39 upkeep.

That said, there isn't really anything else I'd realistically rather have at this point.

Yeah, for a nice moderately priced used car, a final model E39 Sport would be what I'd go for too. I'd like it in the 540i M wagon with a 6 speed swap though. Otherwise pretty much factory stock and clean.

This guy only wanted 16K for his, and it had a little CPO warranty left on it:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sale-wanted/129846-2003-540it-sport-m-wagon-16000-a.html

That is probably one of the rarest modern US-Spec Bimmers out there...

We sat down at a dealership this eve and almost had a deal on a 04 Benz C230 Kompressor. It looked like a winner, but KBB and "their" book value seemed too off to be legit so we couldn't work a deal I felt confident with. Drove a VW Passat W8 4 Motion also that felt gooood. May go back for that one tomorrow. I haven't seen many of those around, any experience with 'em? I'm pretty sold on the refridgerated glovebox.

The sticker on the Benz was $13,994, but low book was $8,800. I'd be cool with 10k, giving a thou profit, but they said they paid 12 for it. There's 4 more just like it at another Mercedes dealership 2 miles away so I'm gonna check 'em. the W8 was so ill. They want 15, I'm gonna book it and see if I can swoop on it for 12. It's so nice... Only 28k miles for a 2004.

The other thing too is that we get 3.99% on any car '03 or newer that gets 30+ on the highway. That rate's too good to look away from...

and I'd run it on medium octane (always a college student pumping the wrong gas into his BMW to save 25 cents concept).

There's so much unintentional ironic hilarity in this sentence.

• 1 month later...

my mom has a 95 Nissan Quest that is sucking hard. It's died on her for various reasons numerous times in the last 6 months alone. She can't use the A/C in the summer for fear of it dying, now it died again but it's just the starter. Anyway, my moms been wanting a new car forever since we've had this car through living in DC, Sicily, England and finally here. It's had it's run. Me and my dad have gotten new (used) cars since we've been here in WA.

My mom's car is the main car so I think it's prob best to upgrade now. She was thinking about a newer Quest but there is no reason for her to be getting a big van. The only reason she needs something with room in the back is because of our huge ass dogs that she drives around a lot.

So I was checking craigslist and now I got my mom wanting an early 00's bmw wagon. They're all about 8k-9k online. Any opinions on them?

my dad has a 90 something BMW, I have a 96 audi...so if my parents did cop that we'd be GERMANY ALL THE WAY

So I was checking craigslist and now I got my mom wanting an early 00's bmw wagon. They're all about 8k-9k online. Any opinions on them?

my dad has a 90 something BMW, I have a 96 audi...so if my parents did cop that we'd be GERMANY ALL THE WAY

BMWs can be maintenance nightmares. But you may know that from owning others. If you know what you're looking for, and you find one that's been well-cared for, the nasty depreciation can work in your favor.

What are the mileage totals like on the ones you're finding?

Dum-

We had a Passat 4 motion V6 wagon for a while and were able to pile the 3 of us and 2 great danes into it pretty comfortably. I know they're usually a bit easier to find at a similar pricepoint with lower miles. It worked really well for us, and still got + - 25 mpg.

They're pretty comparable, although the Lexus comes with a bit higher cost. Both run 3.5L RWD systems putting out 306hp but the Lexus has 9flbs more torque (although you're never going to feel that little of a difference). It's also a whopping 5 lbs lighter and gets 1mpg better city. 3 gal smaller tank, .5 cubic foot smaller trunk, and smaller in just about ever aspect of the cabin. Also, the Lexus only comes in auto. Got all that from online but I wasn't terribly impressed by the Lexus when I testdrove it, didn't feel like it had a 306hp powerplant and the ride was too soft for my taste although I've never driven/ridden in the Infinity

DUM - get the Bimmer wagon, preferably a '99 or '00 528i Sport on the 3-piece BBS wheels. One of my favorite cars, but they're relatively rare, it's not like there are examples constantly on ebay or anything, maybe once a month or so for the right ones. Agreeable fuel economy, the easiest to work on/most reliable amongst the 5 series wagons, and easily the best handling (rack and pinion on the 6cyl vs recirculating ball steering on the V8)... plus the wheels and sport package trims come with the car and are really nice, the whole car as stock just gives off a niceness that most newer Bimmers just don't have, the days of the forged BBS mesh or parallel spokes and expensive exclusive trims (that matte black shadlowline trim from the Sport around the greenhouse used to cost like a G to retrofit) are over.