Rest In Peace Old Dirty Bastard

Ol' Dirty Bastard Dead

By Nolan Strong

Date: 11/12/2004 6:30 pm

Wu-Tang Clan member Ol’ Dirty Bastard passed away today (November 13).

While details are sketchy, sources told AllHipHop.com that the rapper collapsed and died in a Manhattan recording studio.

Ol' Dirty had complained of chest pains, but the cause of death was not immediatley known.

The nine members of the veteran rap group appeared at The Theater at the Continental Airlines Arena for their first joint East Coast appearance in five years, in which Ol' Dirty took part.

One of the founding members of the Wu-Tang Clan, the 35-year-old helped lay down the foundation for some of the most influential Hip-Hop in history.

He brought an air of humor to the macho world of rap, yet maintained enough integrity to be taken serious amongst a fickle Hip-Hop audience.

The Brooklyn born rapper was featured on Wu-Tang’s groundbreaking album, Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers).

Shortly afterwards, he was shot in the stomach by another rapper during an argument on the street in Brooklyn.

He recovered and released the classic Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version, which spawned the hit singles "Brooklyn Zoo" and "Shimmy Shimmy Ya," which powered the album to gold status.

In 1998 the rapper further solidified his place in Hip-Hop history. That year, he rushed out of a recording studio to help save the life of a four-year-old girl who had been hit by a car and was trapped underneath.

The next day he appeared at the Grammy Awards and rushed the stage during Shawn Colvin’s acceptance speech for her Grammy Award winning song “Sunny.â€

Dressed in a red suit, the rapper told the crowd that Wu-Tang shouldn’t have lost their Grammy to Sean “P. Diddy†Combs and then uttered the now famous words: “Wu-Tang is for the children.â€

In 1998 he was shot again in Brownsville, Brooklyn, after two robbers pushed their way into his girlfriend's apartment. The bandits stole money and jewelry and shot ODB once. The bullet entered his back and went through his body, all superficial wounds.

After being treated in a New York emergency room, he ignored doctor’s warnings and left the hospital.

He was arrested several more times the following year for various charges, including threatening bouncers at the House of Blues in Los Angeles and for lounging on his balcony in the nude in Berlin, Germany. No charges were filed in that case.

Later that year, he was arrested and charged with attempted murder, after police claimed he jumped out of his car and started shooting at them. Those charges were dismissed when the police failed to present credible evidence.

In October of 2000, the rapper was almost finished a stint in rehab when he made a run for it, spending a month as a fugitive, during which time he performed at the Hammerstein Ballroom in front of hundreds of stunned fans.

He left the premise that evening but was captured a short time later in Philadelphia, singing autographs in a McDonald's parking lot.

He was extradited to New York, where he stood trial. In April of 2001, he received a sentence of two to four years in state prison.

After emerging triumphantly from jail and rehab, the rapper inked a deal with Roc-A-Fella Records in May of 2003.

I'm happy to be here,†Ol' Dirty said at the press conference. “I thought I wasn't gonna be able to touch another microphone. I'm happy my eyes are still open."

The rapper also had launched his own clothing line, Dirty Wear.

The news comes as Hip-Hop community was mourning the passing of another rapper, Mac Dre, who was shot to death in Kansas City.

haha, that was the best!

Quote: In October of 2000, the rapper was almost finished a stint in rehab when he made a run for it, spending a month as a fugitive, during which time he performed at the Hammerstein Ballroom in front of hundreds of stunned fans.

"and we can find new ways of living make playing only logical harm"

RIP Big Baby Jesus

Roll and stroll with the party scene

Nigga wanna know me as Mr. Clean

Wza-wza-wza-wza-Wu-Tang, flip the script and

Test my skill niggaz, you're trippin

Drugged up from sniffin, you're the one who's riffin

I'm not Opie, save that old shit for Andy Griffith

Start to flip, slip, cuz you're slippin

While you sleep I be the God on point, with Scottie Pippen

as I, jump on stage, flip rip a show

Strip and rip a hoe, wayyy like Bo

Jackson while I'm still taxin maxin

Relaxin sittin back sellin good tracks and

Again and again when I rock the jam

WANNA SEE EM UP IN THE AIR! Throw up your hand

Introducin, one-man band in town

It's wild, with the style couldn't stand nigga

When the jump, stepped, to the center

of the rhyme inventor, MC's come at the

You get dap slapped, across the MC map

Your ass that's your ass, on a whore shot

Come on through I black and blue your whole crew

Then I get Rudy with the Hong Kong Foo

Ol Dirty Bastard, MC killer

Money maker, Brooklyn, challenger

That I lay down like towel

Then I get higher!!

My first experience with ODB came in june 1996. He was walking up Gates Ave. in fort Green. He was bare foot. As I was staring at him he said "yeah it's me, god" I found out later who he was.

So....How's your girl?