-- Military Watches --

englandmj7

I have a friend in the USMC going to Iraq next month and I want to buy him a nice "military" watch; maybe something like a Pilots or Divers watch...... preferably around the range of $150. Does anyone know if there is a brand associated with the USMC, or any branch of the military that is extremely dependable and will last in 100 degree + weather?

^^ Thanks, I checked them out. I have seen the MTM ones but they are around $600. Kobold is waaaayyy out of range though: $4000 +. Although, their "Phantom" watch is effin' beautiful. I am looking at a couple of St. Moritz's. Anyone had one before? I need this thing to be tough as shit. Only other one I seem to keep finding is the Luminox "Navy Seal Diver's" watch, but I don't want to buy a Marine a watch specifically designed for the Navy........they are weird about that kind of shit.....heh heh

hmm, a really tough watch would be a casio g shock, which would be in the price range. but i am not sure how a digital watch would fare under such heat conditions. a brand named marathon make watches for the canadian sar teams, but that would be in the 500-700 range. Luminox also makes other variants on the "navy seal divers" watch. my friend has one of those, and the tritium vial markers and hands are really something to behold. i would recommend on getting something with a tritium vials, such as luminox and traser. it would also be a good idea to get a nylon strap, instead of leather or a metal bracelet. heat is bad. about the st mortiz, havent had any experience with them, but the prices seem to be fairly decent.

oh to be young and self righteous

Well, the budget is a bit tight, it seems. But do have a look at the KHS watches here: [url=" http://www.watchuseek.com/h3page.htm"] <a href="http://www.watchuseek.com/h3page.htm" target="_blank">http://www.watchuseek.com/h3page.htm</a>. There are a few less expensive ones, too.

Too many people talk too much about too many things they know too little about.

i almost bought a military watch a while ago, they are very unique, and fun in their own way. At first I thought i wanted a british WWII watch (both IWC and Omega were contracted to make these, very primo) however they're very expensive.

Considering your situation, I'd recomend the Hamilton Khaki. There are a few different models, and are based directly off the watches hamilton used to made for the united states military. They're around $150 last i checked, and you can even get a mechanical movement as opposed to a quartz one which you'll probably find in any other 150 dollar watch. although, they offer a quartz version too, so check. The other option is to buy an actual, viet nam era military watch. You can usually find surplus watches like these on ebay, but they're usually gone at surplus stores, call around. Those babies were designed to withstand radiation! not the sort of engineering you find on a seiko, no offence.

Good luck.