san francisco almost killed me

samsikle

do you guys know of any good lounge/bars where you can dance at? my two best friends' birthdays are coming up and we're gonna spend the night in the city and go out.. any suggestions? one of them suggested bubble lounge. i don't go out in the city very often at all.

do you guys know of any good lounge/bars where you can dance at? my two best friends' birthdays are coming up and we're gonna spend the night in the city and go out.. any suggestions? one of them suggested bubble lounge. i don't go out in the city very often at all.

Lol there's always a fat line at Ruby Skye every time I'm out, but I'm underage so I can't really say. It's just in my hood.

• 2 weeks later...

My friends that are into clubs/bars/dancing all like holy cow. Kinda too bro-y for me, but I've been there even on a weeknight and its poppin. Top40 hip hop kinda stuff, pretty typical.

Edit: I'm not help for places to go dancing, but there are a lot of chill bars all over the city where you can meet people and sit and talk. nocnoc at haight and filmore for a slightly older crowd, usually underground electronica is the soundtrack. I'm a big fan of the two pool bars on 16th (?) between mission and valencia. One's called Kilowatt (dog friendly!), and there's one right across the street, I always blank on the name. Pop's at 24th and Bryant has a definite hipster faux-dive bar vibe, but the drink specials during the week are cheeeaaap, and i'm usually into the music.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry if this has been covered, but this is my first visit to this thread

so i just decided to go to sfsu, accepted my admittance earlier today. I guess I shoulda applied for housing when I applied but I wasn't 100% set on going even if I got accepted so I didn't pay it much mind.

So I'm going to be there for Spring semester starting Jan 20th, and I need a place. Any reccomendations on locations to look for a soon to be broke student? I've been to SF twice, but just to party and not really sight see or get to know the area much, so I'm completely lost as to where to look. The obvious thing would be to look at google maps and search the surrounding areas I suppose. But any insight or help from the SF natives would be great. Not sure if I have any real preferences or anything? I'm definitely looking for something within a 'normal' students' budget, though.

Thanksss

sorry if this has been covered, but this is my first visit to this thread

so i just decided to go to sfsu, accepted my admittance earlier today. I guess I shoulda applied for housing when I applied but I wasn't 100% set on going even if I got accepted so I didn't pay it much mind.

So I'm going to be there for Spring semester starting Jan 20th, and I need a place. Any reccomendations on locations to look for a soon to be broke student? I've been to SF twice, but just to party and not really sight see or get to know the area much, so I'm completely lost as to where to look. The obvious thing would be to look at google maps and search the surrounding areas I suppose. But any insight or help from the SF natives would be great. Not sure if I have any real preferences or anything? I'm definitely looking for something within a 'normal' students' budget, though.

Thanksss

craigslist bro seriously

Yeah, avoid Park Merced at all costs. It's super expensive for what it is, and it just sucks on all accounts.

Browse Craigslist for rooms/places in Sunset, Ingleside, and Parkside if you want to be relatively close to campus. You can find some decently priced places in the Richmond if you want to travel a little bit further. If you're bringing a car, you could look in Daly City as well.

Otherwise, the bus lines that go by campus are the 28, 29, and the M, So anything near those lines is a good place to look. There's the 17 as well, but it doesn't come by very often, and I never really see anyone on it.

craigslist bro seriously

i have been checking craigslist, but a price and description doesn't do much as far as neighborhood scouting, etc.

Thanks so much for the advice so far guys, really informative! Especially the bit about Park Merced.

I do have a car and am pretty sure ill bring it with me, but honestly I'm looking forward to not using it much. I'll probably ride a bike if it makes sense for me, or maybe a combination of public trans + skateboard...

can't rep Japaslavian. corporalclegg, got you.

apply for housing now still so you can get on the waitlist if you want to live in the dorms. a few of my friends were waitlisted coming in but they have places now, and they applied for housing late-late.

thats if you want to live in the dorms though. i live in them now, and its cool, but you either like it or you dont. best thing about it is you're here with all these other freshman so thats where youll meet hella people at state.

or the dsa

check for rooms in Daly City too, my best friend lives in DC. his house is like a 7 minute walk from Daly BART and SFSU runs a free shuttle from the station to campus Mon-Fri. it takes me less time to get out to his place than it does to take the M to west portal sometimes, campus is basically in DC...

• 4 weeks later...

I lived on campus my first year at sfsu, and I honestly much prefer living where I do now, in noe valley, a 45 min muni ride away from state. Then again, I transferred from a community college and already knew plenty of people in sf, so meeting freshman wasn't a big priority. It's hard to meet people in class at state, due to the huge student population/large amount of commuters, so living on campus can definitely help make friends.

But yeah, don't overlook places further out from state; if it's in walking distance of the M line it shouldn't take too long to get to school.

last day today (monday)

heading to jtownz later

where are the jbzs on deck

hey if i am driving from fremont (east bay) toward the shopping center over at market st., what parking lots do you guys recommend? it is always so crowded there and in the past i just took the BART.

heading out there tomorrow and would appreciate some guidance. i only go to the city every so often during breaks :(

edit:

and just because it is my first time in this thread, what do you locals recommend to see? ive been to haight street once, liked the stores there. i usually just walk around market st. where all the shopping centers are etc. and every once in awhile will stroll through chinatown via portsmouth square (chinatown park i call it). oh and then there is always fisherman wharf. suggestions? mainly looking for dining i guess and local hang out spots/sight seeing. shopping is w/e... content with said places

go to fucking lightning foods tomorrow in embarcadero (mission and spear), it's my dad's restaurant and it's being sold by january 1st, it's been there for about 10 years, i grew up there and the food is what i grew up on. fucking sucks.

parking sucks in sf.

if you see a tall nigga with long hair and immaculate style holla.