midnight snacks with scott.m and sufu friends!

yo scott, have you tried like eating flat bread with like, this garlic spread stuff... seriously warm up bread in a toaster oven, and slather the garlic butta on... wayyy better than hummus. i dunno really how to make it, since i usually buy some from this mediterranean cafe

but, i think this is an approx. recipe... i will try this out soon too

Garlic Spread

2 whole garlic bulbs

1 teaspoon salt

About 1 cup corn oil

3 tablespoons lemon juice

Peel the garlic and put it into food processor. Add salt. Process until nicely mashed. Add oil in a thin stream. Keep on processing until oil is mixed with garlic. Add lemon juice. Mix and transfer it to a bowl. (Can be prepared ahead of time).

i think you eat this with Chicken Shawerma or kebab, but its hella good with just pita bread

You talkin' about Garlic Butter?

Like from Zankou's? That shit is orgasmic.

yeah i think we are talking about the same spread/butter

here is another recipe i found

http://www.recipezaar.com/Zankou-Chickens-Lebanese-Garlic-Sauce-Copycat-199352

* 3 small russet potatoes

* 1 head garlic (12-14 cloves. It's a LOT. Be afraid.)

* 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

* 1/2 tablespoon salt

* 1/2 cup canola oil

Directions

1. Peel the potatoes and boil in water until soft. Mash and let cool.

2. Crush and peel a whole head of garlic. Cut into quarters. Place raw garlic in a heavy duty blender with the salt and lemon juice. Pour a light layer of oil onto garlic. Puree the garlic, salt lemon juice on high and begin pouring a slow steady stream of the rest of the oil through the blender's handle hole until everything has mixed.

3. At this point, you'll have extreme garlickiness (new word), which some people like, but for "texturizing" like Zankou's, you'll need the taters.

4. Add the mashed potatoes, about 2-3 tablespoons at a time and mix. Continue adding/blending potato until the sauce is mixed well. At some point in this process, you might consider changing blending vessels. After all this work, my blender was starting to think twice about helping me out.

5. Transfer to a bowl and allow to chill completely in the fridge. After about an hour, the flavors will blend together nicely and the texture will take on that library paste consistency like Zankou's sauce.

not my pic, but i think here is like how it looks like when i get it from the restaurant... it like like a white paste thing

7fc16b7ba11ba509m.jpg

actually, researched some more, and became more confused..

is it called Toum ?

found yet another recipe:

Toum (vrej's mom recipe)

2 egg whites

3/4 cup water

2 cups oil

1 spoon lemon juice

garlic

seriously, whatever this garlic spread is called, it is extremely addictive and delicious... just make sure you take a bunch of breath mints after though ;)

tweeds and I were talking about this latticed asparagus thing I had, and I mentioned wanting to remake it in zucchini and eggplant.. naturally it struck me it'd be a good presentation for ratatouille, so I made a deconstructed/reconstructed ratatouille, within the latticework is simmered ratatouille (cauliflower, broccoli, green pepper, celery splits, champignons, roma tomatoes, onions, lots of garlic and herbs) and then the liquid tomato portion formed the bed. Topped with bits of freshly made pecorino romano tuilles.

... yes, I know I am insane and fritter away my free time.

6613_767055327970_15904009_43603442_4424396_n.jpg

close up on a romano tuille and the sauce:

6613_767055332960_15904009_43603443_267871_n.jpg

Guest Phrost

god damn that is beautiful. how long did it take to weave the zuchinni n eggplant. and i get free zuchinni from mom's garden. fuck i wouldn't have the patience for that

Preparing the strips for blanching takes quite a bit of time, perhaps 10-20 minutes, but the lattice making only takes like 2-3 minutes, its only 15 strips across by 15 strips wide approximately... you gotta know the secrets to getting all put together without having it falling apart though. ;)

Preparing the strips for blanching takes quite a bit of time, perhaps 10-20 minutes, but the lattice making only takes like 2-3 minutes, its only 15 strips across by 15 strips wide approximately... you gotta know the secrets to getting all put together without having it falling apart though. ;)

a bottega concept. stitched veggies ftw!

yeah i think we are talking about the same spread/butter

here is another recipe i found

http://www.recipezaar.com/Zankou-Chickens-Lebanese-Garlic-Sauce-Copycat-199352

not my pic, but i think here is like how it looks like when i get it from the restaurant... it like like a white paste thing

7fc16b7ba11ba509m.jpg

actually, researched some more, and became more confused..

is it called Toum ?

found yet another recipe:

seriously, whatever this garlic spread is called, it is extremely addictive and delicious... just make sure you take a bunch of breath mints after though ;)

Don't use any other oil than first cold pressed olive oil.. canola :/ corn oil :/ baaaaaad

i havent really read through this thread so is it just what you are eating at midnight? cause i dont get off of work till 10:30 dinner time is at midnight.

so as some people know korea is not a great place for food its hard to find decent ingredients so when i found all i needed to make mexican albondigas, i confirmed the recipe from my mom and got to work.

here they are boiling

dscn0583u.jpg

and the finished product

dscn0585h.jpg

meatballs, spanish rice, zuchini, carrots, potato, celery, in a delightful broth

if dinner is not equal to snack let me know, and i will be banished from this thread with shame

I recently learned how to make the perfect ramen eggs

1. let eggs sit at room temp for about half an hour

2. poke a hole with a needle in the flatter part of the egg

3. Place eggs with a slotted spoon into a pot of boiling water for exactly 5 minutes, must use a timer

4. remove from water and let rest for 1 minute, then rinse cold water for 5 minutes.

They'll look like this

725387868_86663fbacf.jpg

Ajisen was like 3 dollars a bowl in china

made big macs previous level

+10000000

i was in china with a bunch of hicks from texas and there was an ajisen right next to a mcdonalds and a kfc, both of which btw are fucking expensive compared to the rest of the food in china.. and these guys went to mcdonalds and kfc for EVERY MEAL. i wanted to poke their eyes out