midnight snacks with scott.m and sufu friends!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
is that dark chocolate in front of the Pol? either way that is good looking snacking. You hitting lots of french lately drew?

yeah, a 70% or so Swiss dark chocolate. I live with a Japanese woman so that means there's always some form of expensive chocolate hidden in my house somewhere for when she needs a quick hit. haha.

nah nothing fancy, since my lady rarely ever eats at home, and never cooks, just me.

Been craving wings for like a week or more, and there's literally no place in this country to get a decent one, so I had to take matters into my own hands.

40377_891696920220_15904009_48129687_8325685_n.jpg

(it's 2:30am here so midnight snack status is complete)

top two midnight snacks for me:

salmon, cheese, and crackers (took from the fridge)

img0420qc.jpg

what exactly is that spreadable laughing cow "cheese"? not coming from a judgmental standpoint at all, i eat that shit all the time. it's just beyond me how tasty those things can be while retaining a caloric/nutritional value comparable to that of oxygen. artificial foods freak me out as much as the next post-post-modern eating enthusiast, but sometimes i just gotta grin, spread and bare it.

Cross posting:

Rainy day activities (yeah, I know it's not midnight, but I don't really have a body clock), buns are from scratch. The only way I can get a decent burger, in this land that God forgot about.

45589_899681010040_15904009_48419793_6594791_n.jpg

45589_899681015030_15904009_48419794_5328362_n.jpg

45589_899681020020_15904009_48419795_1111966_n.jpg

"They both contain two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions. But they use a sesame seed bun. My buns have no seeds."

- Cleo McDowell

Didn't really use a recipe, but what I did was this; about 650g of baguette flour, I used Maison Kayser (this honestly could've and should've been 500g baguette/150g high-gluten flour)...

I heated about 240mL's of 2/3rds milk, 1/3rd water, tablespoon of sugar, a healthy pinch of salt, and then cooled to body temp and did a healthy half packet of yeast (I think that's like 13-14mg?) and let it froth before mixing, along with a few tablespoons of rendered unsalted butter. Slap and knead for about 10 minutes, until the dough is clean looking and near-white and elastic. The dough has gotta stay pretty wet the whole time until all the glutens have been activated, so you can moisten your hands with water or milk and occasionally grease your hands with butter if the dough is too dry while kneading. Otherwise the bread'll be too dry.

rise for an hour over your tumble dryer, cut into quarters or 6th's and roll into balls, and then rise again on parchment.

egg wash was a yolk and some milk, and a tad bit of butter.

I think I baked them at 200C'ish until they looked done, had a pan of water in there to steam the whole time.

You can snip parchment strips about 5cm wide by the circumference of however big you want the buns, and staple to make ring forms, and do the second rise and baking in those, to keep the sides white and only the top egg washed.

• 2 months later...