What are the best streetwear labels in Shanghai and Hong Kong

Andrew Balint

you need to check out the malls in kowloon, plenty of them close to Fa Yuen St ("sneaker street"). also some stores on granville street/circuit and close to concept shop.

the stores on the island like Juice are overpriced and completely understocked, I guess they save the best pieces for mates and all the hangaround idiots you always see there.

shanghai (and indeed all of mainland china) is crap for streetwear shopping. lame western skate brands all over the place, cool brands always fake. if youre into more preppy/casual stuff like Ralph Lauren/Hilfiger/DKNY etc. there are loads of stores on or close to Maoming Lu that sell seconds at low prices. if its your thing, they have an official SB stockist in town, check the nike site for the address.

Edited by sassafras on Feb 3, 2006 at 10:05 PM

yeah i'll echo what sassafras said. shanghai doesn't really have anything locally designed as far as streetwear, there's only two places i can think of- shirt flag on nanchang lu for communist influenced design and there's another place on maoming lu.. but i can't remember the name for the life of me and actually never went to the shop. the designs weren't all that great from what i saw in a magazine anyway.

I don't think there is any good independent street labels in China. I did do some talking and business with few stores before and they all carried the same western skate-street brands.

Hongkong has a few, but from what I have seen, they are all clones of bape or neighbourhood etc.

Getsuga Tenshou

it's an emerging market that's only been emerging for a few years and the wouldbe buyers for this stuff don't have a lot of money to spend on streetwear and if they do, they buy foreign brands. that said:

1. Shirtflag, the communist-stlyed place mentioned above. 2 locations on Taikang Lu [smaller] nd Moganshan Lu [larger]. The Nanchang Lu location closed.

2. Mars Man on Xinle which is more alife-ish, I suppose.

3. The Thing on Changle Lu which actually has some decent t-shirt designs.

4. insh on Taikang Lu which is almost all women's now and maybe not the style you're looking for [there isn't much market for menswear in SH] but has some good stuff for girls.

there are some other things happening but can't really point you to retail stores yet as they aren't at the point yet.

have a good trip.

Quote:

I don't think there is any good independent street labels in China. I did do some talking and business with few stores before and they all carried the same western skate-street brands.

Hongkong has a few, but from what I have seen, they are all clones of bape or neighbourhood etc.

--- Original message by DJ_Flame on Feb 4, 2006 11:40 AM

you don't think that means you don't know~~

there are many many local labels ~~good clothes with good designs in china ~~~it just you don't know and you haven't been there~~~you know what~~in china~not many people wear those foreign brands~bcoz they have their own dressing styles and own design~

[there is one new shop which call NY.C in guangzhou ~~they make their own clothes and the design looks not bad~~they also have some foreign brand clothes~~]

cicitony

theres no need to be rude to the guy. he's just expressing his opinion which lies pretty close to what I believe is a correct view of the streetwear situation in china.

I've been living here (Beijing) for 5+ years now. of course there are local brands here and there as in most places around the world. some have potential, most dont. Most Chinese streetwear heads in BJ dont give a rats ass about local brands/fashions. For them, its all about Japanese and Western brands. Maybe in a few years, when the market (producers and consumers) is more mature, decent brands will pop up all over the place. These things dont just happen over night you know?