Indie Rock n Roll for me... (clubs in NYC)

sleet

Im sure you get asked this all the time. (sorry)

Im going to NYC for the last weekend of Feb. I love my indie rock n roll and was after some advice on clubs to go to.

I read the Clubs in NYC and with all due respect couldnt think of anything worse than an RnB vibe... urgh.

I want guitars, drums and attitude. Maybe some britpopish indie in there. Ive found Tiswas on line... that cools cool, and the bowery, maybe CBGB... any other suggestions or coments?

Cheers

S

Good places to check out:

The Knitting Factory, right outside of soho down a sort of sketchy side-street. Most nights they'll have three different shows going on in the different floors. The Bar's expensive as eff, but hey, it's New York.

Northsix, in Brooklyn on north sixth street, close to Manhattan. Down the street from a bunch of uber-hip looking clubs. Try to catch a show downstairs if there's anything that interests you, they have giant fishtanks in the back that vibrate everytime someone plays drums. Damned if I know how the fish stay alive.

The Bowery Ballroom sometimes has decent shit going on.

Also, you might want to check out some of the record stores in the village and brooklyn. Generation records near washington square park is alright.

I'm sure there are other places that are better if you just want to go and hang, but I don't really go into the city unless there's something specific going on I want to see. Maybe Maxfish in the LES? Never been there but I hear it's crazy.

Edited by gomi no sensei on Jan 30, 2006 at 06:58 PM

Quote:

Good places to check out:

The Knitting Factory, right outside of soho down a sort of sketchy side-street. Most nights they'll have three different shows going on in the different floors. The Bar's expensive as eff, but hey, it's New York.

Northsix, in Brooklyn on north sixth street, close to Manhattan. Down the street from a bunch of uber-hip looking clubs. Try to catch a show downstairs if there's anything that interests you, they have giant fishtanks in the back that vibrate everytime someone plays drums. Damned if I know how the fish stay alive.

The Bowery Ballroom sometimes has decent shit going on.

Also, you might want to check out some of the record stores in the village and brooklyn. Generation records near washington square park is alright.

I'm sure there are other places that are better if you just want to go and hang, but I don't really go into the city unless there's something specific going on I want to see. Maybe Maxfish in the LES? Never been there but I hear it's crazy.

Edited by gomi no sensei on Jan 30, 2006 at 06:58 PM

--- Original message by gomi no sensei on Jan 30, 2006 06:51 PM

Cheers man... are these club nights or gig venues?

Gig venues mostly, though the Knitting Factory has a seperate bar as well. I'm pretty sure they all have websites if you google for them, so you can see what exactly is going on at them while you're in town.

I really don't know much about dance parties/club nights in NYC, I usually go down to philly for that sort of thing, the crowds are a little less up tight down there (not to mention the alcohol's like a million% cheaper, ha.)

Oh, also, you might want to check out Tonic (http://www.tonicnyc.com/) for more experimental music. They have pretty regular DJ nights, not to mention Thurston Moore destroying guitars and Zeena Parkins shredding on a distorted harp. There might be something you'd be into there. Great place to check out various ex-No Waver's latest projects.

Edited by gomi no sensei on Feb 1, 2006 at 12:32 PM

I think you'll be fine with Tiswas, a mix of everything you might expect. It's a relaunch of an old party, so young and old club goers will be there. Let us know how your night out turns out. Enjoy.

So you want dance parties and not shows right? I can give you a run down.

Friday night - Trash at Rififi. 332 E.11th St between first and second ave. It's the best friday night party

Saturday - Rated X at Scenic. Avenue B between 2nd and 3rd st. Another super fun party with a Hot Body contest with naked hipster whores at 2am.

Runner Up - Misshapes. Saturday nights at Don Hills. Much younger crowd.

If you were here on Valentine's Day you could come to my party... It's called Nouveau. Check out the flyer:

valback.gif

I'm having one again the 22nd, but don't have all the details yet.

IM me with any questions regardles NYC nightlife...homerbart2

-Mike Nouveau

if you want just places to hang out before or after a show, that play good music (jukebox-wise) i'd check out welcome to the johnson's (superdive), 7b, or the library. It has been a year or so since I have been to any of these joints but the clientele and general feel were way more rad than any of the "hotspots" i went to. Have fun, it's easy to do in nyc...

kyle