arctic monkeys

dnnsmanace

Saw them play last november and they were awesome. I couldn't care less if they are hyped or not. I like the music.

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

Quote:

Pretty ironic how their slogan is "dont believe the hype." Other than the songs that were already available online months ago, the album isnt anything special. Oh well...

--- Original message by dnnsmanace on Jan 29, 2006 09:06 PM

the album is amazing

they are getting a lot of hype, but i agree the album is great! nice mix of the libertines guitar riffs and the streets spot-on lyrics and judging from some live stuff they are brilliant on stage! to bad a'dam show was sold out.....you going tisswat? melkweg somewhere feb.

my favorite song is ritz to the rubble

''I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm/i'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb/I am the world's forgotten boy/The one who searches and destroys''...James Jewel Osterberg

Decided not to buy tickets for their Melkweg gig. I think seeing them play for the second time will spoil the memory of the Paradiso gig somehow.. I'm kind of weird like that.

• 1 month later...

I think the Arctic Monkeys are decent. The hype is definitely overblown but they're far from being shithouse.

But speaking of bands who can thank hype for helping make them what they are, I still think Mister Casablancas and his Strokes are still the standard...and I mean that in a good way.

AstoriaVIII.com

bloc party, franz ferdinand, libertines, art brut, razorlight, arctic monkeys

long list of NME hyped bands that were decent but never lived up to the hype.

that said i think arctic monkeys single is quite clever and franz ferdinands the fallen has a couple of great riffs that any of the great jim's would have been proud of.

Well excuse me! Excuse me...

I really don't get the whole 'hype' discussion. Either you like a band/album or you don't. What difference does the popularity of these bands make?

I feel the same way. It's just music... no big deal. I do like some of their songs and have seen them live. If they don't make it big in America, who cares. I'll still have them in my playlist

I'm kinda on the fence with them. At the moment they don't sound like anything special to me. I guess I've just gotta sit down and listen to the whole album some time. I really find it hard to believe that this is the best selling UK debut (or something like that).

• 3 weeks later...
Quote:

Pretty ironic how their slogan is "dont believe the hype." Other than the songs that were already available online months ago, the album isnt anything special. Oh well...

--- Original message by dnnsmanace on Jan 29, 2006 09:06 PM

I'm not sure that could be any further from being ironic. Not bothered with the album yet myself.

you know... i really wanted to like it, but i dont. i got the album, thought it was great the first time i heard it, then liked it less and less untill i gave it away.

simplicity we use to survive, do what you doing properly, thats the way thru life

^REALLY!

no man i still like it very much.

i dont know what you guys mean by hype. i listen to whatever i like and i very much like the arctic monkeys. then again i just like indie rock in general. where im from no1 listens to that kind of music so what would the hype be about? i thoght the arctic monkeys werent that popular.

Wanted:money

^ in england they are being referred to as the 5th best british band ever.....i'd call that a hype....still a good album though

''I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm/i'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb/I am the world's forgotten boy/The one who searches and destroys''...James Jewel Osterberg

• 1 month later...

^libertines are better because pete is the best songwriter of last decade and maybe longer

but alex turner is a brilliant lyricist to! if you listen to the lyrics they are really good and they describe the ordinary life in a great way