canada :: vancouver :: general

effohbeee

Thanks gannonyu.

I noticed Heaven's Playground was mentioned in the original post, I get the impression that their items tend to be overpriced after talking to a few people. I also heard the denim is not that great. What does everyone think?

Heaven's playground = Gsus, which is basically almost the same as Diesel with some minor differences. The denim quality is actually worse than Diesel, way worse, other stuff is the same I guess. I wouldn't shop there though, it's just not my style.

Thanks gannonyu.

I noticed Heaven's Playground was mentioned in the original post, I get the impression that their items tend to be overpriced after talking to a few people. I also heard the denim is not that great. What does everyone think?

I won't say overprice because when I was in LA, the price was about the same. But they were having a 50% on denim and 60% for cloth sale last few weeks. And they have their new Spring today. Their denim is ok but I picked up a skinny jean, i think its very good, the cut, fit and everything. Other style they were ok. But definately worth a visit because this is the only heaven's playground store in n america. and plus the workers are very friendly.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys I'm going to Vancouver in a couple weeks, actually going to whistler to go snowboarding but i'll be in vancouver for about a day, day and a half,and was wondering if anyone had the heads up on good food in the city, preferably near the airport? i hear chinese food is really good there, any good dimsum spots? tanx.

Someone will rip my head off for suggesting this, but if you're by the aeroport, try Sun Sui Wah. I love their egg tarts and mango crepes. Go early though, it fills up quickly. For cheaper ds, try Spicy Court on Cambie and 41st (it's ok for the price). Don't know if they still do the discount before 11.

Are you trying to tell me that you're from Vancouver? :eek:

i went to that sale but only for the two last days of it...wish i knew about it earlier as well. didnt pick up alot of stuff t just a crewneck and shirt, undoubtably all the good stuff ie tiger fleeces, thermals etc were gone before i got there. :(

There were very few tiger fleeces... and I mean very. Plenty of thermals though... Overall definitely a nice sample sale.

Also: Komakino has moved to 18 Water St, in case anyone is interested. Not too far from their previous location and definitely easier to find now. Still underground. They've got plenty of Number Nine Spring stuff in stock (crazy expensive though, imo) and the rest (raf, rick owens, ann d, etc.) is arriving within the next few weeks.

may i ask what you ended up buying there if anything?

Hmm, let's see... a pullover, the same w&h hoodie as the one with the skull print on the back except without the actual print (afaik prototype, but I might be mistaken), plenty of t-shirts, and a jacket, oh and I picked up some plain hoodies for some of the SuFu/SF members. That's about it, I think.

Hmm, let's see... a pullover, the same w&h hoodie as the one with the skull print on the back except without the actual print (afaik prototype, but I might be mistaken), plenty of t-shirts, and a jacket, oh and I picked up some plain hoodies for some of the SuFu/SF members. That's about it, I think.

wow really good haul you got there, nice job.

if they have this next year, i hope i know about it beforehand and go to it on the first couple of days it starts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

search up on Google,

Chura <- cheapest, $28 for cut+shampoo, easy to talk stylist *note though their english is not the best, so try to keep it simple

Air <- around 30 bucks for cut and shampoo, they have a few stylist who speaks pretty good english, but i do not like the smell of the place :-/

Zeal <- located in Richmond, price is around 35 bucks, they got japanese and taiwanese stylist. I never been there, but i heard they are mostly new stylist so they MIGHT have a trendier style that suits your taste.

I go to chura a lot, not the E-hasting one, but the one on howe st.

where did you move from? there's a few good places (barbarella, beehive, propaganda, rain, satellite), but for me there is only one person: Nicole Lefaivre. She used to work at Barbarella and now owns and operates Moustache & Darling by herself. She is unquestionably the best stylist in town (she cuts the hair of every good touring band if they're in town and need haircuts -- the Beta Band, Blonde Redhead, Vetiver, Joanna Newsom) and she isn't even expensive. I pay $35. She's been cutting my hair for seven years now and I've never had a complaint.

Moustache & Darling is pretty much invisible from the street, but it's at 110-22 East Cordova Street and the number is 604-715-5725. You have to book 2-3 weeks in advance.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm going to be in Vancouver for a week near the end of the summer, visiting my dad whose commuting back and forth between here (San Diego, California) and Vancouver to work on a movie.

I'm not planning on doing any really extensive shopping, but are they any stores out here that are worth seeing just to see? Richard Kidd looks pretty cool, but sounds pretty fucking expensive, but I might go by just to check out the store.

Anywhere else like that? Anywhere carrying the really high-fashion stuff (CdG, Owens, etc...)?

Or anything that's just in a nice area to hang out, or by any good restaurants you guys know of. Basically I'm looking for good ways to kill a couple of spare days in Vancouver, not looking for the whirlwind tour, more for places to wander around and see some neat stores / museums / whatever and maybe stop and eat a leisurely meal.

For just hanging out and the SuFu style high fashion, only Richard Kidd and Komakino, with Komakino being the better one out of the two.

If you want to do some light shopping, you could add Jonathan + Olivia (Acne, Opening Ceremony, Obedient Sons, S2A, Umbro by Kim Jones, etc.), Goodfoot, Lark, Eugene Choo, Livestock, and maybe a couple more.

And then there's Leone and Holt Renfrew which carry the usual GQ stuff.

As for food and museums, I'm having hard time coming up with any of those... we've got a lot of nice restaurants, but I doubt you're interested in the ones that range from $50+ for one person. Cheap and good eateries are a slight problem. In any case, if you want, PM me and I'll try and give you some suggestions based on what you like...

• 2 weeks later...