canada :: vancouver :: general

effohbeee

I'm going to Vancouver, BC Canada for a long weekend. Where should I go (eat, drink, shop)?? I'm especially fond of pizza and beer.

Vancouvers a big place my man.

But pizza - Megabite Pizza on granville and Steveston Pizza in richmond are dope

Beer - Whineo's on tuesdays has 6.50 pitchers!!

shopping, what are you into?

i haven't been there but i hear from everyone that Incindio's pizza is the shit. Megabit pizza is not that good imo, it's just standard pizza you have after stumbling out onto granville stret, but it is definitely not something to write home about.

As for beer, six acres in gastown has a crapload. Nice little place, problem is it gets full quickly.

• 2 months later...

Are there any members here living in Vancouver BC?

I'm considering relocating from Seattle to Vancouver BC (for work), and was hoping to hear some opinions on the city from locals.

More specifically, I'd like to know:

- What are some of the interesting neighborhoods for someone in their 20's?

- What's considered a decent annual salary for being able to live comfortably in the city?

- Is it feasible to live in Vancouver without a car? (I currently have a car, but would prefer to not drive)

- Are there tax deferred savings plan like the 401k? (where I would be able to keep the money when I leave canada).

Area's of interest for someone in there 20's to live: Kitsilano a.k.a. Kits, Yaletown, Coal Harbour, False Creek, South Granville, West End. All of these places I have mentioned are expensive with Yaletown and Coal Harbour being the most on average. False Creek was rated the #1 neighbourhood in North America to live in, #2 was East Village in NYC. Kitsilano is home to the "3rd sexiest beach in North America". If you're looking to pay less than around $900/month than you might try something on the east side of Van. Our public transit system is already quite good and we'll have two new skytrain systems finished very soon (hopefully by the Olympic Games in Feb).

One more interesting fact, Business Week just rated Vancouver at #4 on the list of the best cities to live in the world.

• 6 months later...

My gf and I will be in Vancouver for the Olympics, from the 20th - 25th. We're staying at a B&B on Cambie St. and 13th Ave in Mount Pleasant.

I checked out the supertravel reviews, but I was wondering if anybody had personal recommendations for the following:

1. Shopping (mens and womens clothing)

2. Where to eat

3. Where to grab a drink/nightspots

4. Sites worth checking out

5. Events

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I like roden gray and two of a few (next door to one of a few). too bad komakino isn't around anymore. Shopping isn't great in Vancouver, but there are some little gems (mostly the ones you've listed).

For food though, there are a lot of awesome places. Try Guu in Gastown,

Japadog on the corner of Burrad/Smithe, or Burrard/Pender St...

Sophia's Books on 450 West Hastings Street has an awesome collection of foreign fashion magazines. A block away from that is Dressew (337 W Hastings St) which is a huge fabric store with really random stuff (rows of wigs, masks and bizarre items). It's always fun to go into.

loden over opus.

if you going in june, hang out in gastown at night. the diamond, pourhouse, 6 acres, revel room and chill winstons are awesome in the summer. yaletown is plastic as fuck but always busy. granville is too much of a shitshow.

^thanks for that NESK, much appreciated..

love my beer so ill definte be checking out 6 acres to go with chambar.. u recommend salt tasting room and irish heather for a drink?

food looks to be ridiculouly cheap in vancouver... even at the nicer restaurants the prices are piss weak

last question (& sorry to hijack the thread)... skiing in early june, worth heading up to whistler or not bother at all?

i went to kirin for dim sum and it wasnt as good as places on kinsway.

theres a new place in china town called bao bei or somethign like that and its supposed to be great. jbone, by june, you might be bale to ski the glacier in whist but not sure. i think its mostly camps. you should still go to whistler in the summer because the drive form vancouver is the most amazing scenery youll ever see.

all good clothing stores have already been mentioned. and i dont know what the olympicnnightlife will be like but i imagine its hectic as fuck.

Haven opened a new location in Vancouver and has a decent line up of brands. As for Kirin, dimsum isn't all that great there but definitely consider having dinner there. Kingyo Izakaya on Denman Street for Japanese with a twist.. Oh and my favorite ramen place is probably Kintaro just down the street from Kingyo.

• 5 months later...

Hey, so I'm going to be in Vancouver for a day for my Birthday with some friends.

Already know where to go to shop, but I need to know a good place to celebrate.

Can anyone recommend good bars and clubs?

Also a good place for Dinner? Something Chinese would be great.

And a good place for breakfast? Gotta get rid of the hangover.

My wife and I have 2 weeks and a GTI. We love shopping (Self Edge is the only place i have loaded on GPS so far), great food/drink/music and the beach. Affordable boutique hotels would be nice, but clean bed to rest heads at night is all we really need. If you know of any spots along the way, recommendations for shopping, eating, sleeping...please share. We leave on 18th.

Clubbing Wise- Hit up Fortune sound club in China town. Best sound system in a club in Canada.

http://www.fortunesoundclub.com/about/index.html

Roxy is always a good choice, Venue is pretty decent.

Dinner- Kirin Chinese food is pretty good. Down Robson you could probably find several solid Chinese joints.

For Breakfast- My hangover spot is the Mariana Grill, its under the second narrows bridge. Breakfast 8:30- 11:30

http://marinagrill.com

Try the Yachtsman

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Main Street:

-Lark: Lots of LVC, Barbour, and similar stuff. Some original knitwear. Good place to go if you want to dress "gentlemanly".

-F as in Frank Vintage: Never seen anything worth buying in here, but they have good visual merchandising I guess.

-Ark: Some reworked vintage leather jackets, lots of "quirky" silkscreened t-shirts and sweaters.

Solid Threads Vintage: The proprietor is really nice and my female friends have found some great dresses in here, but it's overall not a very great selection of clothes.

-Eugene Choo: Cool little boutique. Carries APC, CREEP, Pendleton among others.

-Umeboshi Shoes: Nice selection of shoes.

-Front & Company: Consignment store, actually gets in a lot of good stuff. Last time I was there there was a lot of Burberry and Wings + Horns, all of it in giant sizes though.

-Vincent Park: Carries Cheap Monday, Fred Perry, Dr. Denim. Men's selection isn't the best.

-Woo Vintage: Probably the best vintage place in Vancouver. Well-curated selection of stuff, most of it a recognizable brand.

Gastown:

-Two of a Few: Carries Folk, Penfield, Scotch & Soda, Shades of Greige and others. It's in the pointy part of a flatiron building with glass on both sides which is pretty cool.

-Nouvelle Nouvelle: Carries Cheap Monday, Kai- Aakman, Shades of Greige and other lines. Some interesting obscure jewelry. Men's selection isn't very big.

-Dutil Denim: The go-to place for jeans in Vancouver.

-Block: Carries Fred Perry, Rogues Gallery, Spiewak, Filson bags and other stuff.

-Obakki: Locally designed (and made I think?) clothes.

-Roden Gray: The place for upscale menswear. Recently moved onto Water Street. Probably the best selection of Wings + Horns stuff in the world.

Haven: The building it's in used to be a jail which is cool but it also makes it super hard to find.

Other Places:

-Gravity Pope (Kitsilano): Amazing store. This, Zulu Records and The Eatery are really the only reasons to ever go to Kitsilano.

-Hill's of Kerrisdale (Kerrisdale): Really out of the way but has some interesting stuff.

The only stores on Robson Street with men's clothing that aren't in every mall in North America are Bang-On (silkscreening store), El Kartel (Sneakers and mid-market streetwear), Plenty (this store doesn't really know what it wants to be, carries Fred Perry, Cheap Monday, Nudie and skate brands) and Boy's Co.

• 4 weeks later...

Paul's Boutique in surrey (near guildford) carries nudies and naked & famous. I haven't been there but a friend told me so.

Apparently theres this deal on the 13th of the month/every month where you'd get 13 or 30% off of the purchase by flipping a coin, but still i've never been there so my post is about as useless as not posting at all.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Check out Mr. Pickwick's Fish N Chips. Pretty obvious what to get here.

http://www.mrpickwicks.bc.ca/

Check out Chambar. Order their congolaisse (mussels with tomato and coconut sauce. BOMB). Try their Belgian beers.

http://www.chambar.com/

Check out Fritz for their Poutine after drinking (get chipotle mayo dip)

http://www.fritzeuropeanfryhouse.com/

right next door to Fritz there's this pizza place called Numero Uno, which is decent when you're drunk.

There's some surprisingly good Chinese food in Vancouver too, in Richmond... Some of the places are better than in the motherland (0). I suppose it's because local Canadian ingredients are just better, and also some pretty decent chefs immigrated to Van.

If you want steak, I liked Hamilton Street Grill

http://www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com/

Goldfish Pacific Kitchen is supposedly a really good Asian fusion restaurant, ran by some Canadachink. I never had the chance to try it, but read lots of good reviews about it

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=goldfish+pacific+kitchen

There are lots of good restaurants in Yaletown, actually. You can just check Yelp or Urbanspoon. There were a couple of oyster bars that I didn't have the chance to visit.

If you want tonkotsu ramen, there's this place called Kintaro that ALWAYS has a fuckin queue outside of it. It was because of this queue that I never bothered to try it. I'm guessing that it should be decent.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=kintaro#sclient=psy&num=10&hl=en&safe=off&source=hp&q=kintaro+ramen&aq=f&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=d6a9f1ad724581c8

If you like Italian, I've heard some of the best Italian in Vancouver is at Don Francesco. This is coming from the advice of an Italian Italian friend in Vancouver. It's more $$$$ though.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=don+francesco+ristorante+vancouver

And yo, I cannot stress this enough, but you really must must visit STEPHO'S on Davie Street for their roasted lamb platter. It's in the heart of Vancouver's gay district, but you really gotta get over it because it's probably going to be the best lamb you've ever had in your life.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=stepho's+vancouver

Their other food might not be as good, but I wouldn't know because I always just ordered the roasted lamb platter, and a couple of sides.

And since you're Korean, I will just tell you that you can find all the kimchijigae, soondubu, bulgogi, and kalbi on Robson St.

Maybe it's cus I was a tourist, so I didn't expect it to be so good. I know there are tons of chinks in Van, fuckin LA too, but lots of Chinese restaurants in LA don't make my cut.

There are more Taiwanese in the part of LA that I live in, than anywhere else in the world outside of Taiwan. Tons of HKers too, and nope, not making the cut.