Caught a shoplifter...persue it?

Orion

I wasn't in today, but I guess the guy brought 'em back and left this note:

apologyletter.jpg

It says (probably too small to read):

"Dear Greg

I'm writing this letter to you hoping you will forgive. I stole these jeans from you and I myself can't believe I did something like that. It is something that has eaten at my heart for the last couple of days and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me of my stupid mistake. I respect you and all the hard work you put into the amazing store you own. I want you to know that I'm writnig this because I couldn;t live with myself for what I did and I want to be forgiving. I'm truely sorry for what I did and I promised myself I would never do it again. You have an amazing gift to run such a ligit store and I hope it is successful for a long long time."

First things first, if I was there I would've had a serious discussion with him about his poor spelling and grammar. I guess he was too nervous to come in so he had his friend bring the jeans and the letter in for him. I doubt he'll be back in the store.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in a few shops where i live (in rougher places). when people walk in the shop, the assistant takes all the customers shopping bags, and belongings from them, puts them in a basket, and then puts them all in a safe place behind the till. when the customer has finished doing their shopping, they get their bags etc back......this way people wont steal stuff, because they would leave their belongings behind. also, if peoples come in with no belongings or bags......its probably best to keep an eye on them......

that is procedure in a lot of the stores around here. much more common in the malls though.

L-O-motherfucking-L just got to a local highschool football game and that motherfucker and his buddy are here. Saw 'em through the entry gate when we bought tickets to get in. I'mma find him hopefully sitting with his parents and say what's up.

I know he robbed you Orion, and should be appropriately stoned to death in the town square, but he sounds recalcitrant man, give the kid a break,

I used to steal rock candy from this old man. I always thought I was so slick getting away with it. Until one day he saw me on the street, alone, he told me "you're the little fucker who steals from me, you think you're so smart don't you?" so I took off running and never did it again.

lesson learned.

but with no snitches, cops, or parents. don't be that guy.

lol, note to self: to own store, must be in top physical condition to run after thieves.

Sam, you should open a store and hire me since i'm in dire need of a job right now :D. For the last couple months i've been training to run in a marathon in fresno on sunday. I'm sure i can chase after whoever decides to steal things. Heh

Nah, I wouldn't bring it up in front of his parents... I saw him at the snack counter and he came up and apologized. Dude looked like he was gonna cry. I told him I was pleased that he was man enough to come talk to me and that we were cool.

BUT SERIOUSLY.

I'm actually really touched by a thief that realises that he done wrong. I've delt with a lot of grimy thieves in my short lived retail job-life and they were all assholes.

This guy is still an asshole but I'm glad he's not a bitch. or sometinhg.

suo Orion

Yeah, it was kind of cool that he realized he had made a serious mistake and wanted to correct it. I want to take this kid under my wing, mentor him. Some Dangerous Minds white suburbia edition shit.

Hapsical - Shoplifting happens at almost all retail stores. It sucks, but it's just a part of it. We can write off some of the loss (inventory shrinkage), but it really comes down to establishing a reputation that you don't put up with shit and will kick a kid's ass if needed. Macy's used to get taken hard all the time until they decided to lay down the law. People know now if they get caught lifting from there they're fucked. They'll wreck lives, like for the long haul. I've seen Macy's loss prevention tackling people so hard...

I knew that shoplifting is epidemic in large chain stores, supermarkets etc. but I had sort of thought that people would have the decency not to steal from independent stores, where the livelihood of the owner is directly affected.. obviously overestimated the state of humanity... It's incredible how many young people (even from respectable backgrounds) think that shoplifting is not just perfectly acceptable, but also funny and something that's boast-worthy.

Guest on-display

i worked with a girl who was said she needed money because she got caught shoplifting. told me she stole over $10,000 of shit and offered to steal shit for me

my brother used to work at media play when it was still open and he worked with this girl that jacked hella shit, pretended to ring stuff up and just demagnetized the items and bagged it up. he got hella shit out of it, but the girl got caught up and he got out of it free just returning the stuff.

yeah this shit happens at UO big time. I see people just grab and run everyday I work. well not as much around me, since they gotta be extra sneaky. UO has higher in house theft though, talking about someone selling inside right now too. i may not be UO's biggest fan but i ain't stealing nothin neither.

i used to shoplift quite a bit, until i got caught for trying to jack some video game from best buy. way too nerve-racking. i never fucked with any mom & pop shops though, strictly big chain stores and what not.

friends of mine now have upped their retail-jacking game to "forgetting" to give receipts from the places they work at, "returning" the item, and pocketing the cash. straight doubling their paychecks every other week. kinda fucked up.