Vintage/Inspired Military & Workwear Clothing Center

technicolor

Good find Paul, under $50 is a steal!

$5.00 is a steal.. $50 is a purchase....

good looking piece of denim/chambray history though. Not sure I could pull it off to wear it to work, but still a cool find.

• 2 weeks later...
found this in my attic.pretty old but quality.any info on the actual name of these types of jackets i remember seeing them somewhere a lot but cant remember.

4855220790_1df19ffc08.jpg

4855220816_6ae9b12836.jpg

4855220808_3ae8c698dc.jpg

just a carhartt jacket. probably from the 90's.

• 2 weeks later...

Cross-posted w/the vintage denim thread. Trying to get some knowledge thrown at these pants.

I bought these denim trousers on eBay. I assumed they were Buzz Ricksons or some other reproduction, due to the apparent similarity to BR Officer Chinos.

IMGP6586.JPG

But now that I got them, I think they may be the real deal. There is no label besides this, sewn above the back right pocket:

IMGP6597.JPG

And these sewn-on metal buttons:

IMGP6593.JPG

As per this website, 1941 was the last year that denim work uniforms were used in the army (phased out by HBT). The tag has two dates: "Dated Aug. 8, 1941" and "Dated 8/8/40." So that adds up.

Additionally, the back pockets have selvedge edges:

IMGP6598.JPG

Which led me to notice the significant gray cast to the denim. It seems that the weft threads are either pure gray or marled gray/white.

IMGP6602.JPG

This reminded me of two vintage denim aprons from my collection, both of which have gray or marled wefts. Dungaree selvedge on left; apron on right.

IMGP6612.JPG

Dungarizzle on left, apron on right. Note the broken weft thread, obviously quite gray.

IMGP6615.JPG

I'm not suggesting that the trousers' denim was milled by the same people as the aprons', just that grayish denim was common in the period. (Is it still? I don't know.)

So it seems like these could actually be from 1941. That would be pretty cool.

On the other hand, they are in such good worn condition that I find it hard to believe they're 70 years old. In my experience, vintage pants are either deadstock or worn to pieces; much rarer to find blue jeans gently used. Also, the date on the tag could obviously be fabricated; and gray-weft denim could be much more common and contemporary than I know.

Any experts care to weigh in? Did these pants fight nazis?

One last picture. These are the right front pockets. The side pocketbag is on top, watch pocketbag on bottom. The watch pocket is so big! If you look at the first picture, you can even see its outline through the front of the pants. What did GIs need to fit in there? Also note the indigo stains on the white cotton.

IMGP6604.JPG

In any case, they fit me like spanish boots of spanish leather, so I'm'a wear them out to buy groceries right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have a clue about the age of either, but they're by no means new. the pants have a label with a brand from chicago's name on it and has suspender buttons inside the waist.

DSC_0955.jpg

DSC_0956.jpg

DSC_0957.jpg

DSC_0958.jpg

DSC_0962.jpg

DSC_0963.jpg

DSC_0964.jpg

Just thought I'd post these admittedly shitty fit-pictures in order to get some judgement on the sizing. I'm about 80% sure I'm going to keep it (it's a 42), but I feel like it's borders on being too big. I'll try and get a better picture soon. The extra room may be nice for layering with a sweatshirt in the winter.

IMG_3639.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

Here are some of my military coats:

59528_1451424840121_1068247015_31129576_1868903_n.jpg

M1909 swedish winter coat, a stamp inside says 1944, so that is probably the date, although the type was in service for quite some time after.

58198_1451424680117_1068247015_31129574_4775352_n.jpg

US Navy Pea Coat, WWII era

59528_1451424800120_1068247015_31129575_6993735_n.jpg

USAF MA-1 flight jacket, third revision (MIL-J-8279B)

The quality on all is pretty amazing when you compare them with modern day clothing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm looking to purchase a N-1 Deck Jacket and stumbled upon a jacket made by "Houston". Anyone familiar with the brand? If not I'd appreciate some suggestions. I'd really like one with the hook/clasps.

I'm perfectly happy with my Buzz Rickson deck jacket, best jacket I've ever owned!

• 3 weeks later...

stumbled over the ll bean site today, since sufu was dwon. i am sucker for shawl collar coats. and ll beans seams to jump the american band wagon. does anyone know more abot the LL bean signature line ? how is the quality?

here is the link

http://www.llbean.com/llbeansignature/llb/shop/794?&subrnd=1

they have the cotton duck jacket shown in this old life mag pic ( the cuffs are odd, but i get the idea )

5d7eda74d002a4cb_large

here is the rest of the ll bean life pics

http://www.google.at/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&channel=s&hl=de&q=ll%20bean%20source%3Alife&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Sorry, not vintage. Within the last ten years, at the oldest. AIMD is "Aviation Intermediate Maintenance Department", but it just got that name within the last 5-7 years. Those flight deck jackets are the property of the individual ship (Hence the CVN 68, USS Nimitz) and issued/turned in as sailors check onboard or check out of the command; as they're not authorized for normal uniform wear. Though, like any military gear/clothing, sailors "acquire" and hoard them as individual property. They'll probably start popping up a lot in thrift shops and surplus stores soon, as we've just completed a massive uniform change from the old style utilities that those jackets were worn with.

Also asked in the Small Questions Thread:

Does wool soften over time, or is the roughness mostly permanent? I'd wear my Buzz Rickson Tanker jacket more often if it was comfortable with a t-shirt, but it's kinda rough on my bare arms.