so, i'm having a pair of jeans made . . . .

mizanation

Great thread! so glad i subscribed to this :D

and I loved the tidbits about denim construction/ history

I just noticed some selvage peeking out the sides of the coin pocket on my SEXSC06 but unfortunately I don't think there is any puckering haha

keep the pictures coming, this is a great photo-documentary on great jeans in the making

ok, let's talk zippers.

here is the selvage zipper i was telling y'all about. these are made by waldes which was one of the factories that made the vintage made-in-japan talon zippers. they are using the same methods, materials and designs for these zippers.

DSC_0262.jpg

with this zipper, you are actually zipping the two selvage ends together!

DSC_0265.jpg

DSC_0266.jpg

the zipper tape on these waldes zippers, which are the two pieces of cloth, are made out of 100% cotton, just like the old days. these days, zipper tape is usually made out of polyester which does not age over time--while your jeans fade, your zipper tape still looks brand new.

these zippers will age as your denim fades.

ok, so here's the ishigaki cowhide patch. it's very smooth and has a pinkish tint. i might ask kamida-san if he has any ideas for a cool patch. maybe he has some interesting leathers...

incidentally, a lot of kobe beef actually starts off as ishigaki beef. they raise them here because it's cheaper and then when they get to a certain age, they ship them off to kobe.

DSC_0270.jpg

kuniyoshi-san was very impressed with the sufu 660's. in fact, he says that he hasn't bought a pair of jeans in 10 years but for a good pair of warehouse, he might make an exception. he tooks some time to explain some special details about the jeans...

DSC_0272.jpg

first he showed me the belt loops. notice that the middle of the belt loop is raised. he said that warehouse was the first guys to notice that the belt loops on some old jeans had a bump in the middle. what this bump does is reduce the friction on the stitching. warehouse made a custom made sewing machine attachment to reproduce this raised middle.

DSC_0275.jpg

he showed me a pair of jeans with flat belt loops. doesn't have the same visual and textural impact...

DSC_0280.jpg

next, he pointed out the type of thread they use.

on the waistband, they use a very thick thread. on the yoke they use a slightly thinner thread and on the pockets they use a thin thread.

what this does is add the visual appearance of contour on the jeans. if you use the same thickness of thread all over the place, the jeans look flat, but when you vary the thickness of the thread, you get a slight 3D effect. it's a small detail and most companies don't use so many different types of thread, but it makes an aesthetic difference, albeit a small one.

DSC_0279.jpg