arcteryx veilance

Been wearing my Align SFT for almost a year now and it's been great. I only have one problem with it -- the lining (I think 100% polyester?) is incredibly uncomfortable on my arms, espcially around the inner elbow. Feels like I'm being poked by needles, so I always have to wear a long sleeve layer when wearing the jacket.

Anyone else experience this or have tips to fix? 

Yep, that's your primary option if the lining irritates too much; wear long sleeves, arm warmers etc. Veilance sold some 3/4 sleeve  shirts a few season ago too. Too bad Veilance doesn't use a merino lining. Most techwear companies cheap out on the lining because they expect many people to wear a middlayer.

Yep, that's your primary option if the lining irritates too much; wear long sleeves, arm warmers etc. Veilance sold some 3/4 sleeve  shirts a few season ago too. Too bad Veilance doesn't use a merino lining. Most techwear companies cheap out on the lining because they expect many people to wear a middlayer.

merino isn't used as a backer because it sucks at being a backer, not because anyone's 'cheaping out'.

merino isn't used as a backer because it sucks at being a backer, not because anyone's 'cheaping out'.

huh?! how does it suck? Anyway it can't suck any worse, as a lining, than the polyester fleece in the Align SFT. fwiw, I don't think Veilance is opposed to a merino lining e.g. the Wool insulated jacket had a partial merino lining (only at the armpits though)

the align is a shell jacket. in addition to protecting the membrane from damage and contamination, the function of the backer fabric is to efficiently pass moisture through. merino retains up to 30% of it's weight in water, making it inherently unsuitable as a backer. also, using merino will reduce the lifespan of the fabric package as it's inherently more fragile than poly based grid backers. i suspect it also doesn't laminate very well to begin with, but maybe larsss or someone else who actually works with laminates for a living can confirm that. last but not least, even really fine merino can be prickly or uncomfortable to some people, so using it in a product can limit your sales. 

i love me some merino, in fact i haven't bought non-merino underwear in years, but it's just not suited for use in shells. which is why companies like arc'teryx reserve it for products like baselayers and sweaters that benefit from merino's specific qualities: odor control and warm-when-wet.

Mover combines goretex + merino wool. It won an ISPO award this year: "This GORE-TEX® ski jacket best embodies the Mover Wool System©. With wool inserts strategically placed on the outside, inviting you to discover the wool filled interior. Lined with pure merino wool, a renewable fiber issued from the finest virgin sheep wool, this jacket offers unsurpassed comfort, performance, and breathability." (via Woolmark)

I agree with @inkinsurgent. I've developed 6 new multi layer fabrics for our SS16/FW16 seasons and I can tell you that Merino is exactly the opposite of what you would want in a fabric backer.

The best choices are something in 100% poly so it can accept dyeing and match to color standards. And you would want to stay in the realm of gridded wovens, tricots (both brushed and smooth), and lo-pile fleece backers so that it can still be seam taped and waterproofed.

There are actually a few fabrics made by GORE that have fleece soft-shell backers that while they feel amazing when worn, are incredibly hard if not impossible to waterproof. You would need to skiv the backer @ the seams and essentially mow down the fleece to allow it to accept the seam taping.

Merino is best kept to base and mid layer pieces where it is next to skin. You are wasting your money using it as a backer because no one is going to wear a shell next to skin.

And to @SuE's point about companies cheeping out on linings. It is true that a tricot backer is by far the most affordable one (or just leaving the membrane exposed). But a lot of the time, fabric mills only offer a few options for backers because of the limitations of the adhesives used to bond them together. Limiting the backer options also ensure that the fabric can be waterproofed and achieve it's intended end specific use. 

Edited by firstdoorontheleft

Merino is best kept to base and mid layer pieces where it is next to skin. You are wasting your money using it as a backer because no one is going to wear a shell next to skin.

I agree "most people don't wear a shell next to skin" but some people here do want to.

And to @SuE's point about companies cheeping out on linings. It is true that a tricot backer is by far the most affordable one (or just leaving the membrane exposed). But a lot of the time, fabric mills only offer a few options for backers because of the limitations of the adhesives used to bond them together. Limiting the backer options also ensure that the fabric can be waterproofed and achieve it's intended end specific use.

Fair enough, perhaps I should have written 'easier' instead of 'cheaper'. Veilance own their own factory (although now moving to China?) but they are more larger scale production so understandably the certain constraints you mention affect them. I might have to look towards more artisan operations like visvim or nanamica to get the different goretex liners

If a poly backer irritates your skin, merino definitely will too.

I think this completely wrong but let's just agree to disagree

Edited by SuE

There are actually a few fabrics made by GORE that have fleece soft-shell backers that while they feel amazing when worn, are incredibly hard if not impossible to waterproof. You would need to skiv the backer @ the seams and essentially mow down the fleece to allow it to accept the seam taping.

This is a good point, hadn't even considered that. 

Also, as far as N2S performance goes, i'd say poly based backers are still a safer choice than merino as they are inherently more smooth. If a poly backer irritates your skin, merino definitely will too. 

I had toyed with the idea of using a bamboo textile as a backer. But lead times for developing it are insane. Bamboo has an incredible hand feel and really good inherent AM properties.

You can also use nylon, or any other synthetic or cellulose fibre for a backer. I know a lot of people have weird reactions to poly fabrics.

There are some tech tees I just can't wear because of how uncomfortable the fabric feels. But it also varies by quality.

I agree there are not a lot of situations where I require shell/skin contact but there are definitely a few occasions where it would be nice. Either way, lots of insightful information and not a big deal if I need to wear a base layer. And yeah, unfortunately my skin is very sensitive so even a merino base won't work. I generally have to stick to cotton/cashmere, as most wool/synthetic blends irritate my skin. 

I agree there are not a lot of situations where I require shell/skin contact but there are definitely a few occasions where it would be nice. Either way, lots of insightful information and not a big deal if I need to wear a base layer. And yeah, unfortunately my skin is very sensitive so even a merino base won't work. I generally have to stick to cotton/cashmere, as most wool/synthetic blends irritate my skin. 

Try bamboo. You get the wicking and anti-microbial features of merino. You won't get the warmth tho as bamboo is typically made in t-shirt weight.

Well, I have the Align SFT and for me this is a non-issue. No scratching or any discomfort whatsoever.

Edit: A fit pic with Align, Landaq hat, Arc' Lunara bag, NTS-NG1. Never mind the oversized jeans.

Edited by Brainboy

voronois are sweet but damn they are cut close for a rigid fabric like this. gonna have to watch those squats.

edit: are the new ones cut shorter in the inseam? haven't measured yet but there's no way these are a 37" inseam, more like 32". 

Edited by Inkinsurgent

PRIVATESALE - 40% off thecorner

Won't get much cheaper for those still hunting for the Nomin

Got the pants on sale.

Black friday/cyber monday less that two weeks away. C'mon people hold on... 

*adds EVERYTHING to cart*

Edit: 

Actually thecorner code stacks on top the ongoing outerwear promo deal. Some of the veilance jackets/sweaters can be had for almost 60% off. good deal
Edited by SuE

there are people proxying for the m.porter sale @ 50% off. 

love my mionn composite, so i picked up this season's mionn jacket from porter. 

I don't see anything on Mr. Porter's site about a sale - got a link or info?

I need a better jacket for NYC winters and 50% off would tip me to a IS Field Jacket instead of the Rokkvi Neoshell 2 (esp since I've never seen a review of the later).

Thanks! Picked up the Sinter in XS. Being shipped from Italy so I expect it next weekish. Missed out on the Nomin bag though :( - sold out while I was checking out. Hopefully restock of veilance for black friday?

I don't know if restocking just to sell at discount is really the strategy of retailers. Any word on coming sales in Canada? Nomad, Haven, etc.?