arcteryx veilance

I've tried browsing 4 chan for the occasional snippet of green text gold to repost to Reddit/Imgur, but I would never venture into the true quagmire of that site. I would especially never read too much into a conversation those sociopaths and shut-ins are having.

Used to browse /b/ pretty hardcore years ago. I enjoyed it for the surprising moments of hilarity and occasional brilliant wit that would emerge from the otherwise deafening background noise of misanthropy.

Would never take anything anyone says on there seriously though.

That William Gibson quote about the New Mitty Demographic is completely on target. It's just not about tech or tactical per se, it's simply how fashion works. The only thing that changes in time or between subcultures is the intended association.

Well, it's also a bit out of context, that quote in the book was related exclusively to mallninja, tacticool, military obsessed folks. Of course it's true to certain extent about fashion subcultures too (including techwear) that "Customers don't buy products so much as narratives". 

Funny thing is that Gibson himself is heavily immersed in techwear world himself, last time I spoke to him he was wearing at least two Veilance pieces and an Acronym jacket. :D

That discussion is pretty much what I would expect from 4chan, I just find it funny because it's about us.

#techfags

Edited by Brainboy

i think the bit about buying a story or narrative is tied more strongly to high fashion especially the collection format (culture references and inspirations, making a statement) because it's almost entirely about selling that narrative and how the consumer feels when wearing it.

quality / cut / fit are still factors of course but aren't as relevant as in techwear because that's more product focused thinking.

just thought i'd try to put my opinion into words

bit of a longshot here but does anyone know if the geom bomber jacket is still available anywhere in a size small?

http://veilance.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&category=jackets&subcat=Waterproof&model=Geom-SFT-Jacket

This might be your best chance. It's a medium but I'd check the measurements with the seller. It might work out for you.

I'm actually a bit let down now that I get a closer look at the Nomin. It's nice, but the interior sleeves look completely un-padded. The hardware for the shoulder straps is just a plastic tri-glide that they probably pulled from the mainline, and the straps are a bit thin.

The patterning and shape look great, but I think a 550 price tag is a bit steep for it.

Edited by firstdoorontheleft

I'm actually a bit let down now that I get a closer look at the Nomin. It's nice, but the sleinterior sleeves look completely un-padded. The hardware for the shoulder straps is just a plastic tri-glide that they probably pulled from the mainline, and the straps are a bit thin.

The patterning and shape look great, but I think a 550 price tag is a bit steep for it.

actually it looks like a cleaner version of the blade variations but yeah, 550 is kind a steep. if i imagine the 1 to 1 conversion to euro in their european online store....damn

Edited by frankie_four

I wear w28 in climbers, w29 in slim dungarees and went for w28 in voronoi. high waist, many room around the hips and slimmer than slim dungarees at the calves.

you get the best measurements from veilance site or japanese shops like mindtrive or silver and gold

Edited by frankie_four

I'm actually a bit let down now that I get a closer look at the Nomin. It's nice, but the interior sleeves look completely un-padded. The hardware for the shoulder straps is just a plastic tri-glide that they probably pulled from the mainline, and the straps are a bit thin.

the Nomin seems very light with a minimalist/futuristic/waterproof design 

if it is functional and durable (any experience with the seque tote?) my 3a-1 may have a competitor ;)

I hope theres a decent explanation as to why they decided to change the pocket layout, considering the old one looked so much better (imo).

that's not a bad thing that they try new thing

never like the lt version anyway...but the field jacket is my preferred three-season jacket, the fw13 version is awesome with a singular version of gore-tex and (at last) a very useable hood ;-)

still on sale i saw somewhere, jump at it

There's a Spec Pant on Y!JP and bidding is already fierce. How warm are these pants? Warm enough for below 0°C?

Let's just say that I'm currently using a Phase SV shirt below a Windstopper Softshell to go snowboarding, and the Spec Pants are made of a comparable kind of Windstopper material... The real question I have with them is how to get through some of the warm rooms, trains, etc. I often also find myself wearing them in ;)

Thank you very much Franky!

the thing is that I am 33" waist /39" thights and have great calves , so based on the measurements I Am supposed to be a w33 in voronois. But my Outlier OGs and ultralights fits me perfectly in a w32.

I found myself needing exactly the waist I am - only that my calves were like in my compression tights when in the Voronois of that size. Just didn't work.

Functionally the apsis seems weird to me (long coat coverage but not wpb or insulated) but the silhouette looks great.

I just have to ask, because I can't get over this. Does the windshell blazer (actually the material) has any functionality in real life or is it just a fashion gimmick? Packable and easy to carry if it's getting chilly in summer nights?

[/looking for a reason to justify this coat in front of my wife, as long as the womens line is still under construction]

I just have to ask, because I can't get over this. Does the windshell blazer (actually the material) has any functionality in real life or is it just a fashion gimmick? Packable and easy to carry if it's getting chilly in summer nights?

[/looking for a reason to justify this coat in front of my wife, as long as the womens line is still under construction]

yes it is packable+wrinkle free, wind resistant/water repellent and very very light and durable