Jump to content
denimdestroyedmylife

arcteryx veilance

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, CARLOOA said:

I don't know dimensions but the laptop section seems to be able to accommodate less than the 1.0 Nomin.

This was alluded to by branespload earlier, but the pocket at the top of the laptop compartment is actually fixed to the frame sheet via velcro, and can be detached so that the pocket can be pushed forward, providing more room for a laptop. In other words, laptop capacity is the same or greater than the old Nomin.

A couple of other thoughts about the current season, having handled all the new pieces pretty extensively (except for the Mionn Pullover):

1. Where I am, the star of the season has been the Haedn Jacket. It doesn't look good on me, but if you don't have a skinny neck like mine you'll probably have better luck. My biggest gripe is that the zipper pull has the "Veilance" logo on it, which kills any possibility of CPU-status. On top of that, I keep asking: who is this imaginary guy they're sizing for, with the crazy-wide hips?? The waistbands on both the Nemis and the Haedn Jacket are super-loose on me. Even my wide-hipped bros aren't filling those waistbands out.

2. It may simply be that I've gained weight, but the Mionn IS and the Graph Cardigan both feel significantly slimmer than last year. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has noticed this. One other person I know has mentioned it, but I'm not sure.

3. The Haedn Overshirt might be my favourite new piece. It's incredibly soft, looks great (like a wool chore jacket), and there's some really clever pattern-making going on there, especially around the cuffs. The buttons are blessedly not the slide-locking ones.

4. The Field Pant is getting a lot of love, but man, so swishy.

5. The Seque has had a small change in the form of a pull tab that you can hold onto while zipping/unzipping. This actually improves the usability of the pack considerably; it's a nice reminder that they're actually paying attention to the little details.

6. Wallets were supposed to come next season; not sure why they're here early.

7. The Patrol Down is stupid-warm. Like, debilitatingly warm. I live in a very cold place, and this thing will be too warm. I wish they'd brought back the Patrol IS instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, junkie_dolphin said:

This was alluded to by branespload earlier, but the pocket at the top of the laptop compartment is actually fixed to the frame sheet via velcro, and can be detached so that the pocket can be pushed forward, providing more room for a laptop. In other words, laptop capacity is the same or greater than the old Nomin.

A couple of other thoughts about the current season, having handled all the new pieces pretty extensively (except for the Mionn Pullover):

1. Where I am, the star of the season has been the Haedn Jacket. It doesn't look good on me, but if you don't have a skinny neck like mine you'll probably have better luck. My biggest gripe is that the zipper pull has the "Veilance" logo on it, which kills any possibility of CPU-status. On top of that, I keep asking: who is this imaginary guy they're sizing for, with the crazy-wide hips?? The waistbands on both the Nemis and the Haedn Jacket are super-loose on me. Even my wide-hipped bros aren't filling those waistbands out.

2. It may simply be that I've gained weight, but the Mionn IS and the Graph Cardigan both feel significantly slimmer than last year. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has noticed this. One other person I know has mentioned it, but I'm not sure.

3. The Haedn Overshirt might be my favourite new piece. It's incredibly soft, looks great (like a wool chore jacket), and there's some really clever pattern-making going on there, especially around the cuffs. The buttons are blessedly not the slide-locking ones.

4. The Field Pant is getting a lot of love, but man, so swishy.

5. The Seque has had a small change in the form of a pull tab that you can hold onto while zipping/unzipping. This actually improves the usability of the pack considerably; it's a nice reminder that they're actually paying attention to the little details.

6. Wallets were supposed to come next season; not sure why they're here early.

7. The Patrol Down is stupid-warm. Like, debilitatingly warm. I live in a very cold place, and this thing will be too warm. I wish they'd brought back the Patrol IS instead.

Yeah, I saw that it was attached. I was speculating on the thickness of the compartment. I'll bring my Nomin to the Arc store to settle size tomorrow! 

On the Haedn iterations, am I the only one who finds the Haedn subline lackluster? They're a super graph cardigan/field overshirt for me. The technical heritage outerwear foray doesn't feel "right" to me and I don't think it's Veilance's lane to be honest. I'd like to see a more adventurous design like a proper full length trench. I really liked the Sinter, I wish they perfected that design, the shawl collar 3/4 length coat was a unique piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, junkie_dolphin said:

This was alluded to by branespload earlier, but the pocket at the top of the laptop compartment is actually fixed to the frame sheet via velcro, and can be detached so that the pocket can be pushed forward, providing more room for a laptop. In other words, laptop capacity is the same or greater than the old Nomin.

A couple of other thoughts about the current season, having handled all the new pieces pretty extensively (except for the Mionn Pullover):

1. Where I am, the star of the season has been the Haedn Jacket. It doesn't look good on me, but if you don't have a skinny neck like mine you'll probably have better luck. My biggest gripe is that the zipper pull has the "Veilance" logo on it, which kills any possibility of CPU-status. On top of that, I keep asking: who is this imaginary guy they're sizing for, with the crazy-wide hips?? The waistbands on both the Nemis and the Haedn Jacket are super-loose on me. Even my wide-hipped bros aren't filling those waistbands out.

2. It may simply be that I've gained weight, but the Mionn IS and the Graph Cardigan both feel significantly slimmer than last year. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has noticed this. One other person I know has mentioned it, but I'm not sure.

3. The Haedn Overshirt might be my favourite new piece. It's incredibly soft, looks great (like a wool chore jacket), and there's some really clever pattern-making going on there, especially around the cuffs. The buttons are blessedly not the slide-locking ones.

4. The Field Pant is getting a lot of love, but man, so swishy.

5. The Seque has had a small change in the form of a pull tab that you can hold onto while zipping/unzipping. This actually improves the usability of the pack considerably; it's a nice reminder that they're actually paying attention to the little details.

6. Wallets were supposed to come next season; not sure why they're here early.

7. The Patrol Down is stupid-warm. Like, debilitatingly warm. I live in a very cold place, and this thing will be too warm. I wish they'd brought back the Patrol IS instead.

1: Wide hipped and big butt bro here the haedn jacket is a blessing from the gods themselves. It fits fantastic for us big bottom folks and long torso folks. After trying this with a friend the haedn jacket looks much better on long torso folks such as myself.

2: Felt the same way about the Mionn IS but not too much on the graph cardigan, I've always felt it fit tight so I can't comment too much on the fit.

3: The haedn overshirt on the other hand is also an amazing piece but works better for people with shorter torso. However I still felt the price points for the haedn line is a tad bit excessive granted they are amazing pieces.

4: Love the field pants but they are quite noisy. I was surprised of how thick it is was expecting along the lines of indisce pants thickness but it felt a tad thicker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the full lineup for the season? Would've been cool to see the anode in grey heather for a full setup look

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone familiar with the fw16 anode pants? Im thinking about grabbing one but I haven't had the ability to see one in person and Im also unsure about the washing process...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrpi56 said:

Is anyone familiar with the fw16 anode pants? Im thinking about grabbing one but I haven't had the ability to see one in person and Im also unsure about the washing process...

I can double check the washing instructions later but I haven't had any issues with mine. I am pretty sure they're machine-washable on delicate; will report back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think the anode pants are a good purchase and do you think its a better purchase for colder climate over the voronoi ar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mrpi56 said:

Do you think the anode pants are a good purchase and do you think its a better purchase for colder climate over the voronoi ar?

 

yupp. In my experience the Anode kept me warm, even if I tend to freeze quickly. On the other hand, entering heated rooms from a cold outside caused no problems at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anode will be warmer than Voronoi AR, but it isn't a pant I'd recommend buying sight unseen. It has a very particular fit. I personally love my Voronoi ARs but they are prone to fading, have little stretch, and that causes some premature rips for a lot of customers. They might block wind to an extent but are by no means inherently warming.

That said, I'd also suggest the new FW17 Anode comp because I find the new wool softshell to provide more visual interest and I think it's better performing overall (although I'm not 100% on what performance changes the new blend has).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone interested in the field shirt?  i have a blue and black in size large.  just didn't work out for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, branespload said:

Anode will be warmer than Voronoi AR, but it isn't a pant I'd recommend buying sight unseen. It has a very particular fit. I personally love my Voronoi ARs but they are prone to fading, have little stretch, and that causes some premature rips for a lot of customers. They might block wind to an extent but are by no means inherently warming.

That said, I'd also suggest the new FW17 Anode comp because I find the new wool softshell to provide more visual interest and I think it's better performing overall (although I'm not 100% on what performance changes the new blend has).

Okay good to know, I'm moving to Madison, Wisconsin this fall and I need to really gear up on the warm clothes I have so I might just go with the anode over the voronoi especially since ive found one for a good price. That said, would the fit between the fw16 anode and fw17 anode comp be similar? I have an arcteryx near me but they just switched to the new season...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fit should be the same on fw16 and 17, only difference is fw17 has an improved heathered wool softshell. On the FW16 anode, you can barely tell it's composite construction unless you're wearing them and can feel the difference. With the FW17, the visual interest from the heather effect makes for a better contrast against the cotton/nylon paneling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mrpi56 said:

Okay good to know, I'm moving to Madison, Wisconsin this fall and I need to really gear up on the warm clothes I have so I might just go with the anode over the voronoi especially since ive found one for a good price. That said, would the fit between the fw16 anode and fw17 anode comp be similar? I have an arcteryx near me but they just switched to the new season...

maybe you should consider a third pant: Indisce. I love my Voronoi AR from AW2012 (no rips so far) and added the Anode a few years later. It was a good addition, considering living near the Alps. However, after getting my hands on the Indisce it became my most universal pant.

 

Also keep in mind that Anode is very slim fitting. All my Veilance pants are w28, even when I am in between the sizes, because w30 was way way too big. Anode w30 fits pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Veilance pants just don't fit me! I've tried the Liminal pants, Apparat and Voroni. The top block is always nice and fits well but it's always too tight in the calf area. Oh well!

I have a pair of Liminal sz. 32 for sale. $150USD Worn about 5 times!

Listing

vsco-photo-2.jpg

Edited by Marw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone else think it's odd AW17 hasn't hit any retailers yet? i think end has two voronois and that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI: As of yesterday, the Arc' outlet in Parndorf (Austria, EU) had two Mionn IS Comp pullovers (green in M, black, iirc), a Field Jacket (which wasn't yet brought out, still expensive, black, maybe an IS going by how the outlet price was said to still be 840 Euro). Still quite a few Component shirts (black or greyish-blue) and a few shorts.

Can only second the fit issue of pants. Spec pants was the last one that me (my calves) well and lasted, summer Voronoi in nylon barely work in the calves (fortunately, it's a hot-and-humid-summer favorite of mine).

Operand LS shirt really is (basically? completely?) the same material as the Stealth shirt from way-back-when. The way the pockets are made, over the whole front, it's rather warmer (more protective) than even that had already been, since there are two layers of textile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Inkinsurgent said:

anyone else think it's odd AW17 hasn't hit any retailers yet?

Odd yes, as some (most?) already have it sitting in the back. My impression from Arc' PDX SA convo. was that everyone would be putting it on shelves in Sept. Arc' gauging reaction to keeping it as webstore exclusive for the time being?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an email from the DC store saying the first delivery was here the other day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, drgitlin said:

I got an email from the DC store saying the first delivery was here the other day.

Yeah I actually stopped by the DC store on monday and they said they were receiving their stuff later that day and everything should be out and ready to try and buy later this week, so probably around now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting - I can't imagine why PDX would keep it off the shelves for another 2/3 weeks unless HQ had made the request. Would love to see everything out in the larger marketplace so I can see measurements for the new pieces....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's odd, the store in London has the new collection out. I was actually hoping that they would still have SS in stores so I could try on a field shirt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Yoshiii said:

That's odd, the store in London has the new collection out. I was actually hoping that they would still have SS in stores so I could try on a field shirt

get the field shirt it's fucking great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017/8/10 at 5:55 PM, Inkinsurgent said:

anyone else think it's odd AW17 hasn't hit any retailers yet? i think end has two voronois and that's it.

Mr. Porter UK site has some already, and it seems they are ready for some items. (From the model picture, Patrol Coat has arrived too)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017/8/10 at 3:33 PM, frankie_four said:

maybe you should consider a third pant: Indisce. I love my Voronoi AR from AW2012 (no rips so far) and added the Anode a few years later. It was a good addition, considering living near the Alps. However, after getting my hands on the Indisce it became my most universal pant.

 

Also keep in mind that Anode is very slim fitting. All my Veilance pants are w28, even when I am in between the sizes, because w30 was way way too big. Anode w30 fits pretty good.

I have an Indisce too, I think the material and cutting is better than Anode. I don't know about the new Anode, but I had a previous version, the spiral cutting over the knee just a bit annoying. Sometimes the seam line rubs my knee or the culf region just twisted then it became tighter which is quite uncomfortable...

 

On 2017/8/10 at 5:51 PM, Marw said:

Veilance pants just don't fit me! I've tried the Liminal pants, Apparat and Voroni. The top block is always nice and fits well but it's always too tight in the calf area. Oh well!

I have a pair of Liminal sz. 32 for sale. $150USD Worn about 5 times!

Listing

 

I would like to echo that Veilance pants doesn't fit to those who have bigger calfs. I have an Align pants in 30W, which fits perfectly on the waist, but very tight in the calf. And Voronoi AR is something that not my pants. Another minor thing I would like to share is Veilance adjusted the Voronoi SS size a bit bigger from 17 SS. I bought one 17 SS (01/17) Navy blue version which fits me perfectly then I purchased another black one on MR PORTER. Then I got an last year version (08/16), which is like one inch smaller than 17SS version. I had to return it and buy it again from another website. Before I bought it, I repeatedly confirmed the version and sizing from the retailer. Thanks to Capsuletortoronto, I got what I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to my local bird store and tried on a bunch of stuff

HAEDN jacket is cut kinda weird, really boxy, tbh not my thing. Fabric seems SUPER cozy

I feel like the HAEDN overshirt is the better choice. I still don't think either is worth the price tag.

Operand is a must for me, looks and feels INCREDIBLE (it just got this sheen  to it)

Anode fits me PERFECTLY, well articulated in the thighs for my big rower legs. (sorry? calves? who needs those?) also super cozy, but they wouldn't do well in rain, so I just would almost never use them.

the Field pants are also very well articulated, but they look a little too Hikercore for me.

Like most insulated jackets, the Feild IS makes me feel like a marshmallow. I've always preferred mid-layers and a shell 

Has anyone tried this season's indisce pants? they didn't have any in stock. 

 

Thanks guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the pockets on my Field SV jacket is coming loose on the inside(lower pocket). I'm guessing I can fix it easily myself? 

I've emailed with Arcteryx and they'll fix it for free, but I'd rather do it myself and not have to wait for weeks. I use the jacket often. 

Sny recommedations on glue and technique? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AnomalousTautology said:

Like most insulated jackets, the Feild IS makes me feel like a marshmallow. I've always preferred mid-layers and a shell 

It's worth noting that the Veilance insulated shells do sort of "deflate" over time. My Mionn IS is somewhat flatter than when I first bought it, and most of the aged Monitor Downs I've seen are also considerably less puffy than brand new ones; I expect the Field IS would flatten a bit with time. That being said, I also prefer to layer, so in the end I'm not sure it makes much difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wide hipped big butt bro here I retract my previous statement about the Haedn jacket's fit after trying it on multiple times, it does not fit good whatsoever. It fits huge and I have wider features (broader shoulders, beer tummy,  and essentially a wider frame) and I cannot fill it in. The shoulder and waist are pretty loose especially for a medium. I haven't tried sizing down yet but going tts on the haedn jacket seems to be a nono.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, the Haedn is a bomber made with a fairly structured fabric. I can see why it's a little boxier. It fits a little big on me but I'm already an XS.

If you want something slimmer that's kinda similar, the graph cardi fits great.

also @Toilettebun my Achrom IS has also slightly delofted, I suspect it's after washing and drying. I don't know if its compromised the warmth of the jacket at all though.

its weird, some stuff looks/fits better after a wash for me (apparat, nemis) but insulated stuff not so much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Luisa via Roma (US)
    Brand - 125 x 125