arcteryx veilance

9 hours ago, Inkinsurgent said:

As someone who makes a living doing rebrands i can tell you that a rebrand is never 'just a rebrand'. As CB pointed out, a rebrand is the function of a strategic repositioning. So, yes, people will conclude things from rebrands because visual identities have the express purpose of making consumers conclude things about brands.

We may disagree as to the degree to which this specific rebrand "speaks of" vs. "leads" a change in Veilance as a set of products—but otherwise, I think we're basically saying the same thing. Arc is, ostensibly, a "design-lead" company; product comes first (as opposed to a lifestyle brand). Obviously this is simplifying it somewhat, but when I say "it's just a rebrand, and at most a symptom of something deeper that's going on" the emphasis here is on "symptom."

Quality of the rebrand aside (and for the record, I'm not crazy about it—but I was never crazy about their website), that it somehow reflects current trends in anything is hardly a hanging offence. See my previous post. It is an all-caps, bolded, sans serif typeface. My god guys.

15 hours ago, suprastar said:

If I was to pickup my first pair of Veilance pants, which would you guys recommend?

I'm relatively short and stocky (big thighs from gymming), so was looking at something that is a bit more cropped..

Align MX. Or Align. 

19 hours ago, suprastar said:

Thanks.

The only stockists for Veliance in Australia just happens to be 5 mins from my office. And just happens that they have a last pair of ALign MX in my size... hmmmm

The Align MX has the best-designed pockets in a pair of veilance pants, Cannot recommend them enough

@suprastar agree the align is the best entry level trouser, it also has a looser fit than the others so should fit you a little better as they have a slimmer cut. you'll also be easily able have a tailor shorten them if need be without much issue. if you do shorten them take them to a good tailor who will notice the slight taper and makes sure to keep that shape.

one issue you may have is that you may find the burly weave material of the mx a little warm and maybe not conducive to australian weather even during autumn/winter other than that highly recommend the align.

Edited by scamster

• 2 weeks later...

Component Overshirt vs. Isogon Hoody vs. Isogon MX Hoody

I just received the component Overshirt in XL as all my Veilance stuff.

It seems a little tight compared to the Field Overshirt. Especially in the shoulder area.

How is the Isogon Hoody sized with respect to the Component overshirt? I have the Isogon MX Hoody which is a very good fit, is the Isogon Hoody similar?

I'm looking to offload a pile of Veilance pieces, all brand new with tags:

- Field LT, Black, Medium

- Mionn IS, Black, Medium (Made in Canada version from a few seasons ago)

- Field Pants, Black, 30

- Field Overshirt, Black, Medium

Probably more on the way as well. PM if you're interested—I'd rather sell here than on Grailed.

Fabric care instructions are there to provide guidance for the proper and safe care of garments . There's allot of laminations and taping in the garments and many fabrics , but not the two styles you mention, are laminates themselves. This means they use adhesive glue in their creation. Glue will become weaker as it reaches the melting point. Adding agitation in a dryer at the same point- is not a great idea. As well, some fabrics can shrink and deform with high enough heat or have their face damaged while being tossed around in a dryer under high heat when  they come in contact with other materials.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up my first AV pieces in the Mionn and Voronois, and basically lived in them during my recent trip to Japan. The Mionn + a single heattech long sleeve in 40F kept me surprisingly warm.

Any recommendations for a second pair of AV pants? Also, if I wear a L in the Mionn, should I do the same with the Isogon? 

21 hours ago, alavkx said:

My Mionn gets absolutely abused during winter. With a long sleeve underneath it’s good in to the negatives.

Assuming you're talking Celsius and not freedom units

Edited by wexler

Fahrenheit (including wind chill). It’s a bit of an exaggeration but humor me. Typically I’d commute with a frame and mionn and almost every day in February had a “feels like” temp sub 10 degrees. Most days I unzipped by the end of the walk to avoid sweating.

Not to say you can go out with cargo shorts and a mionn and be good. Sub 30 degrees I wear long underwear and a neck gaiter if the wind is kicking. Add a shell or heavier mid layer to taste and you’re good from (actual temperature not including wind chill) 0-55 degrees F. 

There was probably 2 days this winter in Boston that I thought it may be nice to have a down jacket. On those days I just walked faster.