arcteryx veilance

20 hours ago, damagedroid said:

Thanks buddy, I would actually if it wasn't because of the shinning logo.. Also, I would actually go for a lot of mainline 24 series pieces if they didn't put the logo on the garments, but I guess that's their strategy to differentiate the lines.

that is exactly what puts me off the atom and other mainline items but people here who own the atom sing it’s praises so thought i’d post the suggestion.

2 hours ago, scamster said:

that is exactly what puts me off the atom and other mainline items but people here who own the atom sing it’s praises so thought i’d post the suggestion.

Then you should try the LEAF pieces from Arc’teryx, maybe the COLD WX HOODY LT in black. the logo is black on black

Cold-WX-Hoody-LT-Black.jpg

@scamster Same here man, I just really don’t like any logo on my clothes - I don’t need people to know. Quite often I saw mainline items and thought wow this would make a great mid layer but then always ended up disappointed by the presence of logo.

Edited by damagedroid

8 hours ago, damagedroid said:

So I’m gonna get Patrol Down Coat in black / XS and would like to sell the down mid layer (brand new of course); anyone interested?

Why wouldn't you just wait until ss19 comes out, there are normally unlined patrols then for much cheaper than the down

17 hours ago, shifty said:

Why wouldn't you just wait until ss19 comes out, there are normally unlined patrols then for much cheaper than the down

I actually didn't know know they had this before for Spring / Summer, thanks because that's good news! Save me some trouble selling the mid layer. That said, I usually prefer heavier face fabric, and S/S Patrol will probably come with a 40D face fabric?

Edit: Quickly checked past collections but didn't spot any, did I miss anything?

https://veilance.arcteryx.com/collections.aspx?country=gb&language=en

Edited by damagedroid

1 hour ago, damagedroid said:

That said, I usually prefer heavier face fabric

Then you should look out for a Field Jacket (without any extension in the name like IS or LT) from previous seasons. That one had a quite tough face fabric. 

53 minutes ago, droffen said:

Then you should look out for a Field Jacket (without any extension in the name like IS or LT) from previous seasons. That one had a quite tough face fabric. 

Yeah man I love the fabric they chose for Field Jacket! I had it for a while but sold it because I also have the LT version, and thought I'd go for a bit of variation and eventually land on Patrol (I remember Field Jacket fabric has a 80D weight and it seems to be 70D for Patrol).

3 hours ago, scamster said:

please someone correct me if i'm wrong but there hasn't been a patrol released during the spring/summer collection. @damagedroid for variation maybe go for the monitor? patrol and field are somewhat similar. monitor is constructed with gore-tex® pro and with the extra length would offer better protection in the rain.

You're correct and I mixed up patrol and monitor.

Update: They also changed the logo font for ss19

Edited by shifty

they rebranded veilance as a standalone brand. interesting move. can't say i'm a fan. the logo seems decidedly uninspired compared to their previous efforts and the website is even more generic and sloppily laid out than the previous one.

edit: not making the component overshirt in the same poly textile as the field overshirt is baffling. 

Edited by Inkinsurgent

4 hours ago, Inkinsurgent said:

they rebranded veilance as a standalone brand. interesting move. can't say i'm a fan. the logo seems decidedly uninspired compared to their previous efforts and the website is even more generic and sloppily laid out than the previous one.

edit: not making the component overshirt in the same poly textile as the field overshirt is baffling. 

Can't agree more with you. I was SHOCKED to see the logo font change. The original is kind of elegant and poetic which translates the design philosophy and the language well (quiet, confident and sturdy). The new one looks just lacks character and feels a bit "wannabe".. I simply couldn't associate the new logo design with the design aesthetics of Veilance garments.. Huge disappointment about this identity change..

7 hours ago, scamster said:

please someone correct me if i'm wrong but there hasn't been a patrol released during the spring/summer collection. @damagedroid for variation maybe go for the monitor? patrol and field are somewhat similar. monitor is constructed with gore-tex® pro and with the extra length would offer better protection in the rain.

It might sound a bit annoying but I actually also just got rid of my Monitor.. I owned it for about one month only, love the design and patterning, and the face fabric (rip-stop grid?) is tough enough and stronger than the standard LT ones, but also quite packable. I also think the internal structure of Monitor is one of the most impressive pieces Veilance has ever done.

HOWEVER, I simply couldn't fit my head under the storm hood without looking weird (the hood just does't sit nicely, it always leaves awkward empty spaces hanging around my ears, even tighten it up with the drawcords doesn't help much. So after Field and Monitor, I decide to give Patrol a try..

Edited by damagedroid

27 minutes ago, damagedroid said:

HOWEVER, I simply couldn't fit my head under the storm hood without looking weird (the hood just does't sit nicely, it always leaves awkward empty spaces hanging around my ears, even tighten it up with the drawcords doesn't help much.

The hood is my only real gripe with my Arris. Kinda whack.

7 hours ago, damagedroid said:

Can't agree more with you. I was SHOCKED to see the logo font change. The original is kind of elegant and poetic which translates the design philosophy and the language well (quiet, confident and sturdy). The new one looks just lacks character and feels a bit "wannabe".. I simply couldn't associate the new logo design with the design aesthetics of Veilance garments.. Huge disappointment about this identity change..

Honestly man if you have successfully built up your visual identity around the pairing of an A and a V and you willingly let that go, you're just beyond help. Then again the outdoor brand has also moved into an incredibly generic and uninspired direction (seriously who directs their model photography?) so who the fuck knows what's going on in Vancouver these days. 

22 minutes ago, Inkinsurgent said:

Honestly man if you have successfully built up your visual identity around the pairing of an A and a V and you willingly let that go, you're just beyond help. Then again the outdoor brand has also moved into an incredibly generic and uninspired direction (seriously who directs their model photography?) so who the fuck knows what's going on in Vancouver these days. 

Right on mate, you summed it all up. Who knows if they will lay their eye on rebranding the mainline as well; is this direction shift ordered from high up, like Amer Sports? Now it all feels like very noisy, like trying very hard to get attention, like someone who doesn't understand Arc at all suddenly jumped onboard, presented this idea of refreshing and here goes the brand reborn.. Kind of sad really if they themselves don't understand who they are.

I remember a few visuals from several seasons ago, the identities are so strong that I cannot forget:

arct.jpg

arcteryx-veilance-ss-12-jackets-22.jpg

ARCTERYX SARAH SPREAD 1_1270.jpg

I understand the interest in the new direction, and the concern if you don't like. Some of the more vocal fans of Veilance have been designers and brand directors; this is basically what they do for a living. However, as long as there's no visible branding on the items, it'll barely factor in my purchase decisions

15 hours ago, damagedroid said:

It's hilarious to me that people are freaking out over a website logo change. The old logo (which included "Arc'teryx") does look old, bordering on "dad" aesthetics. They need to further differentiate from mainline, especially 24. Yes, of course I miss the days of Conroy et al and "experimental" Veilance, but in case you haven't seen FW19, let me tell you: those days are over.

15 hours ago, damagedroid said:

It might sound a bit annoying but I actually also just got rid of my Monitor.. I owned it for about one month only, love the design and patterning, and the face fabric (rip-stop grid?) is tough enough and stronger than the standard LT ones, but also quite packable. I also think the internal structure of Monitor is one of the most impressive pieces Veilance has ever done.

HOWEVER, I simply couldn't fit my head under the storm hood without looking weird (the hood just does't sit nicely, it always leaves awkward empty spaces hanging around my ears, even tighten it up with the drawcords doesn't help much. So after Field and Monitor, I decide to give Patrol a try..

Oh my god dude, either buy it or don't. This is some Princess and the Pea shit. The idea that you're going to try to sell the liner of the Patrol is hilarious, especially considering there is a jacket coming this fall that is basically a standalone Patrol liner (the Conduit AR).

52 minutes ago, junkie_dolphin said:

Oh my god dude, either buy it or don't. This is some Princess and the Pea shit. The idea that you're going to try to sell the liner of the Patrol is hilarious, especially considering there is a jacket coming this fall that is basically a standalone Patrol liner (the Conduit AR).

What? Fit is absolutely a legitimate reason to not purchase/return something. People return $20 pants because they don't fit well; you don't think that would apply with garments in the several-hundreds; especially considering this crowd is much more keen to these things than the general public?

21 hours ago, damagedroid said:

What about the Partition AR Coat? It appears to be a simpler hood construction that still functions pretty well, plus 80d tricot Gore for that structured feel.

15 hours ago, junkie_dolphin said:

It's hilarious to me that people are freaking out over a website logo change. The old logo (which included "Arc'teryx") does look old, bordering on "dad" aesthetics. They need to further differentiate from mainline, especially 24. Yes, of course I miss the days of Conroy et al and "experimental" Veilance, but in case you haven't seen FW19, let me tell you: those days are over.

It's good to see that the new logo resonates with someone who's been along for the ride, obviously taste factors heavily into things like this.

My reasoning from a brand perspective is that the old identity (not just the logo, but all visual materials like damagedroid posted) was very sovereign, seemingly less influenced by other fashion brands and closer to the aesthetics of industries like architecture and art galleries. It conveyed values associated with those industries that reflected on their own design approach and values.  At the same time they managed to integrate it with the mother brand (which is probably one of the strongest brands in the outdoor world) in an aesthetically interesting way. To be able to achieve those things simultaneously, and condense them into a logotype that also makes use of a memorable and aesthetically pleasing device like the AV, is something to hold on to.

The current logo and visual language are very obviously inspired by things that are big right now in the fashion world, and appears to be following trends rather than communicating their own values. 

Edited by Inkinsurgent
grammar

16 hours ago, chopstixx said:

What about the Partition AR Coat? It appears to be a simpler hood construction that still functions pretty well, plus 80d tricot Gore for that structured feel.

Indeed, I use it a lot and found both Partion and Field (including LT) Jacket's hood construction works better for smaller heads. I feel like the fit of Monitor's Storm Hood is like the one from mainline Alpha, which leaves room for wearing helmet underneath. 

8 hours ago, Inkinsurgent said:

...... It conveyed values associated with those industries that reflected on their own design approach and values.  At the same time they managed to integrate it with the mother brand (which is probably one of the strongest brands in the outdoor world) in an aesthetically interesting way. To be able to achieve those things simultaneously, and condense them into a logotype that also makes use of a memorable and aesthetically pleasing device like the AV, is something to hold on to.

The current logo and visual language are very obviously inspired by things that are big right now in the fashion world, and appears to be following trends rather than communicating their own values.

I really like your explanation; I feeI the same but don't know how to express.

It's like how they started including the naming scheme like LT, SL, AR, etc., these along with the same (or even more refined) design approaches are so deeply bound in Veilance's DNA and it's contradictory to me that the new identity is trying to burn the bridge.

If I borrow your example, Veilance is like Zumthor and Ando in architecture. If one day I saw them start showing drawings in Hadid style – even if the building is built with the same attention to detail – I would start questioning whether they still believe in the same thing. The same feeling applies to Veilance's change (including the FW19 preview that junkie_dolphin mentioned). It is true that I wouldn't really mind as long as the branding doesn't appear on their clothes, but I do have some doubts now about their direction as a whole which used to resonate with me.

Edited by damagedroid

Anyone has sizing info on Haedn Blazer and Anode pants? Trying to pair them together to use as a suit for work. I’m usually a sz M in ACRNM (straight fit, loose, etc) and sz L for profile fitting tops. I’m a sz M as well on ACRNM pants that are regular fit.  Thanks in advance. 

7 hours ago, damagedroid said:

Indeed, I use it a lot and found both Partion and Field (including LT) Jacket's hood construction works better for smaller heads. I feel like the fit of Monitor's Storm Hood is like the one from mainline Alpha, which leaves room for wearing helmet underneath. 

I really like your explanation; I feeI the same but don't know how to express.

It's like how they started including the naming scheme like LT, SL, AR, etc., these along with the same (or even more refined) design approaches are so deeply bound in Veilance's DNA and it's contradictory to me that the new identity is trying to burn the bridge.

If I borrow your example, Veilance is like Zumthor and Ando in architecture. If one day I saw them start showing drawings in Hadid style – even if the building is built with the same attention to detail – I would start questioning whether they still believe in the same thing. The same feeling applies to Veilance's change (including the FW19 preview that junkie_dolphin mentioned). It is true that I wouldn't really mind as long as the branding doesn't appear on their clothes, but I do have some doubts now about their direction as a whole which used to resonate with me.

I very much agree, funny thing is that long time ago Conroy Nachtigall in one interview mentioned Zumthor as his favourite architect and somewhat dissed Hadid... Now I realize how much I miss that time...

I know I'm kind of late to the party about the rebranding but here are my two cents:

When I was told that there was a rebranding happening a couple of months ago, I thought it would be moving in the same direction that Volvo took Polestar, which is very much so in the direction that @Inkinsurgent is speaking of: architectural firms and art galleries. 

Why Veilance stood out to me in the first place is that it was the embodiment of that Gibsonian idea of "wearable architecture" and this was visible in every part of the brand. Veilance was akin to architecture in its design in its peculiar and innovative patterning and functional material choices. The promotional material (like the example provided by @damagedroid) was meticulously designed to present Veilance's commitment to augment the body in a way that I find reminiscent of Arthur Erickson's commitment to augment human interaction with physical spaces. 

this new ethos feels derivative of a change made by other fashion brands like Burberry which are trying to get a little more 'with the times'. The shift just feels uninspired, like Veilance is no longer a trailblazer and has become more concerned with the muses of the fashion industry than ever before.

Veilance was important because it treated itself more like architecture than fashion. This change of branding says that this is no longer the case.

Edited by AnomalousTautology

1. It's interesting to me that it's taken a "rebrand" (and a very mild one at that) to make apparent to people that Veilance has been cutting back on the weirdness and getting more into simple, clean, blank forms. Compare the current version of the Node Down to the Anneal: the Node is loaded up with pockets, it's highly structured, and it's surprisingly full of detail; the Anneal, by comparison, is a very simple, soft, unstructured jacket with a blank face. I could point to other examples, like the old vs. new Graph Cardigan... there's a trend towards blankness and simplicity—true "minimalism" rather than geometry. I've seen what's coming, and it's largely more of that (eg. the Euler IS Jacket and Coat).

2. I'm not sure in what sense Veilance could be considered a trailblazer currently... but it's a bit hard to say when the last time was that you could have described the brand that way. Maybe very early on... But from a technical perspective, Arc reserves its most "cutting edge" stuff for mainline (especially, for some reason, Ascent and Whiteline); much of Veilance still uses old three-layer Gore-Tex ("trico" backer) for its shells—one does wonder why an additional thousand dollars doesn't buy you a Gore Pro shell. The really extreme weirdness probably peaked under Conroy—remember the Scend Jacket? Some of those experiments were terrible flops, however much one might admire the willingness to go there.

3. However tempting it may be to read into a sans serif typeface, it's ultimately just a rebrand, and at most a symptom of something deeper that's going on. It's hardly an indication that Veilance is more fashion-pwned than before—how do you even conclude that, from a logo change? Furthermore, I can point to plenty of times when Veilance drew from contemporary fashion trends—the rapid adoption and abandonment of various shawl collars when those were at their peak half a decade ago comes to mind.

4. Finally, I thought one of the major selling points for Veilance was the lack of branding. I really don't care what the brand's logo is (and, by the way, this season's products still use the old logo, typeface, etc.). I appreciate that most people won't know what I'm wearing. If it were up to me, the website would look like the Ulm School magazine.

28 minutes ago, junkie_dolphin said:

3. However tempting it may be to read into a sans serif typeface, it's ultimately just a rebrand, and at most a symptom of something deeper that's going on. It's hardly an indication that Veilance is more fashion-pwned than before—how do you even conclude that, from a logo change?

As someone who makes a living doing rebrands i can tell you that a rebrand is never 'just a rebrand'. As CB pointed out, a rebrand is the function of a strategic repositioning. So, yes, people will conclude things from rebrands because visual identities have the express purpose of making consumers conclude things about brands.

My issue is both with the positioning itself, and with the technical execution of the identity. The repositioning, as you pointed out, has been going on for a while. Nothing new there. The rebrand doesn't make people finally see that, it just drives it home. The technical execution of the identity seems (so far, haven't seen any print materials) lacklustre, not very considered from a brand family perspective and very obviously inspired by current trends. This may be wholly intentional*, or it may be the result of someone trying to 'freshen things up' but in any case it is something that is unsurprisingly going to generate feedback among their (former?) target audience. I'm not sure why that would be contentious.

*Shower thought: for a while now, veilance has obviously been moving away from a niche boutique positioning to being waterproof burberry. they might believe their original branding holds them back.