arcteryx veilance

On 12/7/2018 at 12:27 PM, Every1HatesChris said:

I see some terratex pants on steep discount, but they are in the Duoro/red colorway. Do you think it would be possible to dye the terratex black?

Did you end up experimenting with this? It seems like a no-go, nylon will take acid dye with heat, but the required heat will weaken, if not remove, the seams. Thinking about trying to dye it warm, for a long time, but unsure if its worth the investment given that the fabric might get compromised (or shrunk). 

Second note, really WTB size 28 voronoi terratex in Black (so I don't have to through all that)...please let me know if you're thinking about selling.

Managed to pick up SS19's new Rhomb jacket. It's a shakedry running shell, similar to the Norvan SL from Arc'teryx's mainline. Here are some thoughts:

- Whoa, this thing is light. Handling the Norvan SL should have prepared me for how light it is, but somehow this is more mindblowing, probably because this thing has actual pockets—it definitely feels more like a "proper" jacket.

- Reflective panels at the peak of the hood, the triangle at the yoke, and the hem; surprisingly neutral when no direct light is shining on them, but any sort of bright light (camera flash, headlights) makes the paneling very noticeable. You can tell they really put some time into finding the best balance for a Veilance piece specifically.

- There's a really neat hidden pocket in the right hand pocket—it's closed with one of those ultra-thin snaps used on the Incendo hoody. Large enough for even a larger smartphone (though it tends to weigh the whole jacket down in that one spot).

- Comes with a washbag to protect the jacket during laundering. The washbag feels heavier than the jacket.

- Insanely packable. It takes up about half the space in the larger external pocket of my 3A-1.

- Not bad for layering, actually. I was able to fit a Conduit LT underneath (Node FL anyone?)—the only issue is that the front of the Rhomb is a little shorter than most of the Veilance midlayers. As such, I'll likely end up wearing it as an emergency shell/windbreaker in the summer, and not at all in the fall or winter.

- Already has one scuff—I think it may have arrived that way. A very small skid of white showing through near the zipper. I'm going to beat the crap out of this thing, and see how much it can handle. Should be fun.

Edited by junkie_dolphin

On 1/25/2019 at 12:01 AM, gcartelli said:

Did you end up experimenting with this? It seems like a no-go, nylon will take acid dye with heat, but the required heat will weaken, if not remove, the seams. Thinking about trying to dye it warm, for a long time, but unsure if its worth the investment given that the fabric might get compromised (or shrunk). 

Second note, really WTB size 28 voronoi terratex in Black (so I don't have to through all that)...please let me know if you're thinking about selling.

Say, how would one recognize the Terratex vs. the older material? There are a bunch of Voronoi (and Anode and... something else, Align?) in the Arc'teryx Outlet here in Austria, and I keep wondering. They feel/look like the older material that disintegrated badly to me, but I'm not sure.

Also, re. SS19: Darn it. ;)

8 hours ago, szg said:

Say, how would one recognize the Terratex vs. the older material?

You can tell online by the grainier texture of the piece, and in person immediately because of the weight and feel (lighter, more crinkly), and then also the tag; 96% nylon 4% lycra/spandex.

On 1/26/2019 at 7:47 AM, WiseFool said:

Would you say that the new ny/co versions of the voronoi are more durable than the terratex iterations? Also, how prone are they to fading (and do they fade evenly or will the cotton panels stick out like a sore thumb?)

the Ny/Co feels more substantial for sure, but I did have an incident at a party in a friend's backyard where I accidentally bumped a rock wall and it left a small hole in the pants. I've had bigger scrapes than that in terratex pants and have never gotten holes from it.

never noticed that but just looked at my casing card wallet and at the fold the bonding has started to every so slightly separate. rarely take the wallet out of my pocket as i tend to use apple pay via my watch/iphone for making payments, something for me to keep an eye on!

has anyone else had this issue?

just seen the frame polo, very nice. can't wait for the official drop.

On 12/7/2018 at 1:27 PM, Every1HatesChris said:

I see some terratex pants on steep discount, but they are in the Duoro/red colorway. Do you think it would be possible to dye the terratex black?

If anyone is interested, this does indeed work. Was going to use acid dye, but had a rare period of calm so just went out and got some RIT synthetic dye (green, to counteract the red, and 2 graphite). Tried just keeping it 'warm' (around 120F) but the color wasn't taking. Upped the dye bath to 140-150 and the black came in, checked the seams throughout the process (as i was worried) and they didn't loosen under that heat. Stayed around that temp for 10 minutes, then turned the heat off and kept it in for roughly 30 minutes while the temp was between 120-130. Set the dye with vinegar and salt and they're now drying on the rack. 

Only thing that is still "duoro" are the stitches on the belt loops and the zipper runner, which are either poly (i didnt go high enough, 200F, to dye poly) or cotton. As far as how well these will hold up is anybody's guess...but it is possible if anyone is interested. Total cost was 86$.

On 1/24/2019 at 6:01 PM, gcartelli said:

Pics here: A little hot topic vibe with the stitching... I did end up double dying them with an acid dye (that produces richer color on nylons), but unfortunately due to a slightly higher dye temperature this caused a little bit of lifting of a few of the seams, only on the outer tape––not the inner glue––notably the segment between the ripstop patch on the front crotch and the reinforcement at the end of the fly. Given the redundancy there, I'm not sure if this will cause blow-out in the long run but fair warning this process did slightly compromise integrity

IMG_9825.JPG

IMG_9824.JPG

IMG_9823.JPG

IMG_9822.JPG

9 hours ago, outbrk said:

I have a pair of Liminal's from 2014. They faded pretty quick and just wondering what dye I should use to make them a deep black again.

Is Dylon a good solution here? Any other dyeing brands/colours recommended?

What's the fabric content? If its just cotton you'll have a much easier time, as you can apply dylon via a washing machine. 

Has anyone tried to layer Mionn IS underneath the Patrol Down Coat's shell? I'm not a big fan of down and am thinking to get the Patrol, sell the mid layer (the down jacket) and pair the shell with Mionn IS, but wonder if the shell would be too roomy for doing such?

P.S. Anyone interested in Monitor Coat (black / XS)? I'm thinking to sell mine (got it a couple of weeks ago and didn't like how it looks on me; only used a few times on my way to office..)

2 hours ago, damagedroid said:

Has anyone tried to layer Mionn IS underneath the Patrol Down Coat's shell?

i’ve done this! the shell is by no means too roomy and it works quite well. you have a bit more room than just the standard midlayer but it’s nothing particularly notable. 

36 minutes ago, 1i1i1ii1 said:

i’ve done this! the shell is by no means too roomy and it works quite well. you have a bit more room than just the standard midlayer but it’s nothing particularly notable. 

That's great to know mate, thanks a lot! Wish there's a beefed-up version of Mionn (like 120 g Coreloft insulation or so)

On 2/7/2019 at 5:18 AM, scamster said:

@damagedroid if you need that cosy warmth get the atom ar for coreloft™ 120 (120g/m²) insulation.

Thanks buddy, I would actually if it wasn't because of the shinning logo.. Also, I would actually go for a lot of mainline 24 series pieces if they didn't put the logo on the garments, but I guess that's their strategy to differentiate the lines.