arcteryx veilance

3 hours ago, rogerhuangxj said:

While veilance moving production to China, they still trying to charge twice as much in China. Thinking we’re dumb or what?!

smh

The costs on their end are so similar either way that it doesn't make sense to adjust the retail price. The major reason to move manufacturing out of Canada is volume, not cost; Arc One (Arc'teryx Canadian factory) simply doesn't have enough staff to manufacture pieces at the volume that Veilance is now reaching for. It's very hard to find people with the right skillset to make this stuff; China, on the other hard, is full of factories with highly skilled workers that are happy to produce these garments at a larger scale.

It's not longer that cheap to manufacture in China; you'll note that many mainline Arc'teryx garments are now made in other countries—Myanmar, for example.

The Gore-Tex pieces from Veilance are still manufactured in Canada, but I expect they're looking to switch that over as well.

17 minutes ago, junkie_dolphin said:

The costs on their end are so similar either way that it doesn't make sense to adjust the retail price. The major reason to move manufacturing out of Canada is volume, not cost; Arc One (Arc'teryx Canadian factory) simply doesn't have enough staff to manufacture pieces at the volume that Veilance is now reaching for. It's very hard to find people with the right skillset to make this stuff; China, on the other hard, is full of factories with highly skilled workers that are happy to produce these garments at a larger scale.

It's not longer that cheap to manufacture in China; you'll note that many mainline Arc'teryx garments are now made in other countries—Myanmar, for example.

The Gore-Tex pieces from Veilance are still manufactured in Canada, but I expect they're looking to switch that over as well.

You are right, actually sometimes I prefer made in China cause the quality is guaranteed. maybe not top notch but good enough most of the time.

But my point is that Arc’teryx set the price too high in China since the beginning, both mainline and veilance.

They need to embrace globalization and do something about it, cause the majority of consumers who can afford Arc’teryx are not stupid. We just buy from foreign retailers.

Why pay 1000 usd for a Mionn IS when you can pay just 585 usd? And I can’t remember the last time I saw Arc’teryx on sale in China, if it ever goes on sale here. I believe somehow they decided to make it more of a luxury brand than outdoor brand on Chinese market.

7 hours ago, rogerhuangxj said:

You are right, actually sometimes I prefer made in China cause the quality is guaranteed. maybe not top notch but good enough most of the time.

But my point is that Arc’teryx set the price too high in China since the beginning, both mainline and veilance.

They need to embrace globalization and do something about it, cause the majority of consumers who can afford Arc’teryx are not stupid. We just buy from foreign retailers.

Why pay 1000 usd for a Mionn IS when you can pay just 585 usd? And I can’t remember the last time I saw Arc’teryx on sale in China, if it ever goes on sale here. I believe somehow they decided to make it more of a luxury brand than outdoor brand on Chinese market.

My mistake, I misunderstood your initial post! Yes, prices over there are insane. Not sure why that is at all... A number of Arc'teryx designers have spoken out about this—it does seem like in Asia, Arc'teryx is positioned alongside LV or something. Very strange.

Edited by junkie_dolphin

Just want to chip in say, the prices over at Korea are indeed insane as well. I don't know if it's the case for other Far East Asian countries, but in korea it's generally thought the more expensive an item is, the better it sells because the society in general has a snob effect and ppl buy things not for one's taste/values but to 'impress' others. 

that being said, there are a couple of arctyerx outlet stores where they have some older veilance merchandise on sale but for never more than 40% off. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, dtradish said:

For those of you who own Graph sweaters - would you recommend them? I'm looking for a sweater and like merino, but am worried about its durability given its price. I wear sweaters a lot so I was wondering if anyone could give their experiences on these? 

If you mean the pullover, I don't own one because I've always found the top opening really weirdly big. It doesn't work unless you have the right shoulders, from what I can tell.

As for durability... it's merino, so if you're wearing a backpack or a sidebag, you'll likely experience pilling around the area where the straps make contact with the merino. I have three Graph Cardigans, and they all do this (though the shoulder panels help prevent this in the most obvious places).

If I were in the market for a merino sweater, I'd look to Outlier's Hard/co pullover (and forthcoming hoodies). You get the durability of cotton on the outside, and the functionality of merino on the inside. Great stuff, and super cozy.

I have a peat graph sweater in the old style and a new one in the alloy color. I prefer the older one because of the nylon shoulder panels that give it some visual appeal and help with bag straps and rain or whatever. The new one looks much more plain, I end up using it with no undershirt either because as junkie mentioned the neck opening is really big. So it's hard to justify as just essentially a thicker merino longsleeve. I don't own outlier hardco but I did have their doublefine stuff and it's really really nice. Feels really good next to skin compared to graph and even dyadic sweaters imo

Have graph in black and blue from fw17. Love these sweaters to death. Very cozy, haven't noticed any pilling and I wear them a lot. As branespload mentioned, the nylon shoulders do add a visual complexity that is lacking from the latest iteration. Would recommend.

Also have one in peat from FW17, definitely one of my favorite sweater. The merino / nylon blend is very durable, I've used mine quite a bit, gone hiking quite a few times with backpack and stuff and there's zero pilling. It's really warm though and depending on your personal preference, it might be a bit much to wear indoor in place where the temperature is on the high side (although this season's version seemed much thiner when I handled it in store, but I didn't wear to compare so others might opine). 

Edited by Kasper

Thank you all for the suggestions and comments, will definitely check out the Hard/Co stuff as well. Since Outlier's been mentioned a couple of times, does anybody have sizing suggestions for their bottoms relative to Veilance? I like that Outlier keeps a lot of their sizing stuff online, but when I compare the waist on my Veilance pants, they seem like they'd correspond to a 32 or 33 in Outlier's sizing?

I've only ever owned almost every voronoi AR iteration but i've always gone size 32, which might not be that helpful of info since theyre not the same pant (pattern wise). I do know if you call up veilance customer service (there is only one true veilance customer service rep iirc, i'm blanking on their name) they can pull up patterns for you and give you any measurement differences.

Edited by shifty
clarity

• 3 weeks later...
On 2018-10-19 at 9:15 PM, dtradish said:

Also another sizing question. Do most people here take the same size in the new Nylon cotton Voronoi as the previous stretchy Voronoi (94/6 material), or do they size up 1 or 2 for the newer Voronoi?

It depends on your leg proportions. Waist measurements seem to be quite generous in the new Voronois but there is reduced stretch and more stiffness in the nyco fabric. If you have slim thighs, definitely go with the same size. Otherwise, it's hard to say. 

On 4.10.2018 at 5:13 AM, droffen said:

Sneakersandstuff.com have a good Sale currently.

some of Last seasons FW pieces for 50% off from last years lower prices

Used it to get an Arris in Rust. Really happy to have done it. Really a good commuting shell when it’s above 0 degrees Celsius 

Does anyone else have trouble keeping the hood on the Arris properly over your head when its just a little windy, or am I not tightening the drawcords enough? Aside from that, mine is doing great today. It's pretty nasty outside where I am and I'm only getting wet because I decided to wear non-technical jeans...

looking to pick up a pair of the align mx, went to the store to try on but they didn't have in stock. are they slim like the voronoi/anode or little more generous? also what is the burly™ double weave like? being water/wind resistant looks to be a good time to buy now the cold has started to arrive.

25 minutes ago, scamster said:

are they slim like the voronoi/anode or little more generous? also what is the burly™ double weave like? being water/wind resistant looks to be a good time to buy now the cold has started to arrive.

slightly more generous than the voronoi or indisce but not enough to change sizes on them. the double weave is quite stretchy and comfortable. most similar to the fabric used on the mainline “gamma”. it won’t be as good at handling the cold as a gore-windstopper pant but will be better than a cotton or terratex pant. 

4 hours ago, 1i1i1ii1 said:

slightly more generous than the voronoi or indisce but not enough to change sizes on them. the double weave is quite stretchy and comfortable. most similar to the fabric used on the mainline “gamma”. it won’t be as good at handling the cold as a gore-windstopper pant but will be better than a cotton or terratex pant. 

I would have to disagree about size. The waist and thigh are cut quite generously on the Align MX. When trying them my usual 34 made the pants look much more like something fitted for LEAF, but with a 33 it was back to the slim cut of Veilance. I would go down half a size

In regards to the material Burly was of course designed for ice climbing and should provide significant protection from wind. It is also very abrasion resistant (and holds DWR like nothing else).

53 minutes ago, AnomalousTautology said:

I would have to disagree about size. The waist and thigh are cut quite generously on the Align MX. When trying them my usual 34 made the pants look much more like something fitted for LEAF, but with a 33 it was back to the slim cut of Veilance. I would go down half a size

In regards to the material Burly was of course designed for ice climbing and should provide significant protection from wind. It is also very abrasion resistant (and holds DWR like nothing else).

I disagree on the waist sizing down, veilance is pretty consistent on waist sizing and I've bought almost every pant they've released in the past 4 years save for the field pant. The fact that it's an align is misleading though because of how much larger it is from the knee down than the nyco align.

I used mine all through Iceland so I could look moderately better than everyone who looked like they were hiking everywhere. With regard to the "burly" fabric, it's the same as the gamma rock pant abrasion panels so I'm very confident it'll last a long time.

Edited by CARLOOA

For owners of the terratex Voronoi's and Convex LT pants : did you end up taking the same size in both? I recently purchased a pair of Convex LT's but they are a LOT bigger than my Voronoi's in the same size throughout the pant (calves, thighs, and top opening). I wear a 33 in Voronoi's and a 34 in the Field Pant and both seem to fit tighter than the 33 Convex LT. I think I might need to size down one or maybe even two in the Convex.

2 hours ago, dtradish said:

For owners of the terratex Voronoi's and Convex LT pants : did you end up taking the same size in both? I recently purchased a pair of Convex LT's but they are a LOT bigger than my Voronoi's in the same size throughout the pant (calves, thighs, and top opening). I wear a 33 in Voronoi's and a 34 in the Field Pant and both seem to fit tighter than the 33 Convex LT. I think I might need to size down one or maybe even two in the Convex.

I found that the waist and trunk region are more spacious than their counterparts, but I think this is for articulation. Don't be afraid to use the snaps on the side to since down the waist :)

3 hours ago, dtradish said:

I’m opposite. I’m wearing 30 in Terratex Voronois for regular fit (28 for ‘skinny jeans’ fit) but had to size up to 32 for the Convex LT as the thighs were too tight for 29-31 although the leg opening was good. I have to wear the 32 as high waist pants with the belt cinched tight for a decent look :unsure:

2 hours ago, AnomalousTautology said:

I found that the waist and trunk region are more spacious than their counterparts, but I think this is for articulation. Don't be afraid to use the snaps on the side to since down the waist :)

Yeah I definitely agree with this, the Convex seems more spacious in every regard. I kind of wonder if I got an abnormal size just because of how roomy it is. What snaps are you talking about? As far as I'm aware, the only snaps on the waist opening are on the Sequent LT/AR?

2 hours ago, SuE said:

I’m opposite. I’m wearing 30 in Terratex Voronois for regular fit (28 for ‘skinny jeans’ fit) but had to size up to 32 for the Convex LT as the thighs were too tight for 29-31 although the leg opening was good. I have to wear the 32 as high waist pants with the belt cinched tight for a decent look :unsure:

I think I'd echo the 2nd statement with wearing a belt if I decide to keep this. 

I really really wish Veilance would come out with some lighter palettes for their pants. Does anyone know where to find a list of all Veilance's lookbooks? I was able to find a few on issuu.com, but some of them are in Korean.

1 hour ago, dtradish said:

What snaps are you talking about? As far as I'm aware, the only snaps on the waist opening are on the Sequent LT/AR?

These ones on the hips. They are there to replace a belt

IMG_7939.JPG

Edited by AnomalousTautology