arcteryx veilance

2 hours ago, shoreman said:

Arm length will feel long if you size up, though.

I think it will also depend on what version of the jacket it is, as well. (They tweaked the cut before they did away with the model altogether.)

Thank you for your input! I was curious about the arm length as well. I may pull the trigger and resell if it doesn't work out.

Anyone here have insight on veilance pants patterning? I can't understand what the pattern entails in any veilance pants when they always feel so restrictive even after sizing up. the mobility is always so restricted to anything more than a casual stride. The fit is also questionable (or this might be my bias of how pants should fit) in regards to how it sits on the wearer. If all veilance pants were made of the same fabric and colour you wouldn't be able to differentiate them based on fit because there's no distinction without "gimmicks" such as the apparat's cobraX snap hem adjusters (imo sucks as well) or composite fabric construction. These are my personal opinion after owning the majority of the pants and either returning it or selling it after a couple weeks of wear. 

3 hours ago, Toilettebun said:

Anyone here have insight on veilance pants patterning? I can't understand what the pattern entails in any veilance pants when they always feel so restrictive even after sizing up. the mobility is always so restricted to anything more than a casual stride. The fit is also questionable (or this might be my bias of how pants should fit) in regards to how it sits on the wearer. If all veilance pants were made of the same fabric and colour you wouldn't be able to differentiate them based on fit because there's no distinction without "gimmicks" such as the apparat's cobraX snap hem adjusters (imo sucks as well) or composite fabric construction. These are my personal opinion after owning the majority of the pants and either returning it or selling it after a couple weeks of wear. 

I was going to say "you'll get along great with Toilettebun," and then I realized you were Toilettebun. Man, small world.

I think a lot of the bellyaching around Veilance can be traced back to misconceptions about what Veilance is "about." People put Veilance in the same box as Acronym, but that's really not what they're going for. Acronym is more like mainline Arc'teryx without any of the restraint; if you took away Arc'teryx's emphasis on weight reduction and added a willingness to explore gimmicks, you'd basically have Acronym (this is, of course, a dramatic simplification, but you get me).

Veilance, as far as I can tell, is more about reduction and transposition of values. The procedure is something like: 1) take technical fabrics used in mainline; 2) take a relatively ubiquitous form from menswear (field jacket, fishtail parka, car coat...); 3) combine with emphasis on menswear rather than performance. Hence the lack of articulation, the lack of adjusters and self-sealing zips on many pieces... They're still producing new pieces with tricot for god's sake. The emphasis isn't on cutting-edge performance (for that you have to go to Ascent).

1 hour ago, junkie_dolphin said:

[...] 3) combine with emphasis on menswear rather than performance. Hence the lack of articulation

That's why I just can't deal with the brand anymore. I'll take a chance on something 70 % off from time to time just to see if MAYBE it's cool...I'm always disappointed. 

I think it it is still cool as long as you are willing to take a compromise on functionality for the style. :)

anyways, I got a convex lt and a Voronoi, both in 32, yesterday... and they are nice. Both. The Voronoi is probably my favorite pant. I just like the fit. It looks great... My personal opinion tough. The fabric seems improved. This was one of the main downsides of this modes. I hope it holds up well. It seems much tougher and more rigid than my AR’s which disintegrated within two months in average.

I wasn’t too sure about the Convex at first... but after one day of wearing it feels like an ultra comfy and soft version of the Indisce (which I really love) although the fabric soft “falls” differently and therefore looks slightly different. However, quite a good amount of stretch and a very “light” feeling when wearing. So probably nice in summertime here.

But! I think it’s quite obvious that I like Veilance. However, I - to a certain degree - understand opinions like @Toilettebun ‘s (I don’t agree on the fit), but all I can tell is... if you look for a really functional pant, try mainline Arc. I’ve got 2 A2B chinos for example and they they feel like doing exactly what you’re looking for. They are really awesome pants. Ultra comfortable, nice fit, properly articulated.  But the feeling when I’m wearing them is not even a bit as extraordinary as when wearing Veilance.

I hope you get my point. :) Anyways... if you like it or nor, or if you’re willing to spend the money on V or not, is your decision.

Not every pant can fit like the P23. If you want unrestricted movement, you either have to use a voluminous cut or a stretchy fabric which looks/feels bad or stretches out over time. 

The idea of Veilance is simple: ordinary clothes with a technical minimalist approach which is city sensible. I live in my Voronois, Aligns and Fields which are distinctively different cuts. The Voros have a knee dart which dramatically improve comfort when sitting. The Aligns have a slimmer cut than the Field which are more appropriate for formal settings. I do hear your point on the reuse of patterns. Fuck the Convex. If you work in a office, Veilance pants are a gods send. I use to wear trousers which would get uncomfortable sitting down.

I get that there are certain things in the pattern that could be improved but understand that they work within various constraints. Add too many panels and they get overly technical. Widen the cut here, then they won't retain the clean look. I would like to hear recommendations on pants of a similar silhouette which you believe fit better.  The OG Classics maybe?

EDIT: BTW who knows what new pants are coming for FW. If nothing exciting is coming, may just cave and buy some comfy Vis ones

Edited by johngalt

both terratex models are stupid comfortable, great looking and not restrictive at all. the apparats and cotton voronois less so, but i don't think they're more restrictive than similarily sized pants in non-stretch cotton blends. you're not getting acr levels of range of motion out of something without acr levels of bagginess and articulation. 

both my dyadic comp pants and fields have a good range of movement and comfort (i sized up on both). but my god my current season voronois are AWFUL. i have pretty big legs and am usually a 33 waist but i’ve been going with 34 and on my voronois i can’t even reach into the pockets they’re so tight up top. obviously acr is gonna allow for more movement because they don’t orient themselves to a more professional look but some models from veilance are much more forgiving than others. 

I had one pair of regular voronois and i found them much more restrictive in the seat than voronoi AR/liminal/apparat and I sent them back. At the time I spoke with a veilance rep who gave very detailed measurements as to the differences between the AR and non-AR and it didn't sound that different (maybe .5 inch of rise and some other slight changes) but it made all the difference in fit. 

As a city dweller who walks around a lot, I have had no problems with the movement/fit of veilance pants, but I think thats because I use them in the environments theyre designed for and have never really considered using them outside of that.

Not sure why you all are dissing Veilance all of sudden, but as for the Acronym/Veilance comfort and fit I think that the Knight pants from Tilak Poutnik are the perfect match if you're looking for something more smart and comfortable. 

21 hours ago, Brainboy said:

Not sure why you all are dissing Veilance all of sudden, but as for the Acronym/Veilance comfort and fit I think that the Knight pants from Tilak Poutnik are the perfect match if you're looking for something more smart and comfortable. 

Definitely, I opted for these because Voronis look terrible on me. Fit is much better on the Knight pants IMO. I have good range of motion in them, round house high kicks no problem lol. The Knight also has a lot of nice little details: knee darts, slanted pockets, gusseted crotch, low key logo. They do have a bit of a sheen to them but no big deal for me. I was surprised when I got them that they have a DWR application as well. I don't know why none of the retailer's product specs mention this. Plus thery'e much cheaper than the Voroni!

As for Veilance pants, I do quite like the field and indisce. I have been alternating between the two the of them over the winter. They've been ideal for me to bike to work in freezing temperatures and stay warm/dry. Added bonus that when I get in I don't have to change clothes as I did in the past with typical wind/waterproof cycling pants.

Edited by wexler
forgot about DWR!

• 2 weeks later...

There's a few pieces I found at Nordstrom Rack on Newbury St. in Boston that were pretty steeply discounted, for anyone in that area. Ash Graph XXL XL, and what I think was a Black Indisce pant size 33.

Edited by alavkx

Just got the Field Overshirt. Came in original plastic with dust bag. Its fairly wrinkled escpecially around the arms on both sides. 

Will it even out with a few wears like the jackets, or should I try to iron it?

• 3 weeks later...

Tried on a few of the Veilance pants from this season, here are some thoughts...

Dyadic - best fit, liked the strong taper and stretch material. Didn't like the lack of back pockets or belt loops (it drives me crazy when pants don't have belt loops). Plus the material that lines the pants make it way too warm for weather around here. I feel like I'd be sweating in them as soon as I start moving around. Price point is also really high. Can't justify it at retail, especially when a lot of the detailing feel gimmicky over functional (mainly annoyed by the replacement of the belt loops with a button system).

Voronoi AR - like others have said, they just fit very awkwardly on me, maybe it's just this season. I also found them to be extremely restrictive on the top block and not comfortable enough to my liking. I'll have to look around for the terratex version and give those a try.

Apparant - fit well, but since I have shorter legs these "cropped" pants just looked normal on me. Top block was tight like with the Voronoi too, I'm worried if I size up then the rest of the fit would look off. It was too tight to even have my phone and wallet in my pockets comfortably.

Guess I'll have to keep looking. Need something slim, minimal, and with some stretch.

5 hours ago, Method said:

Tried on a few of the Veilance pants from this season, here are some thoughts...

Dyadic - best fit, liked the strong taper and stretch material. Didn't like the lack of back pockets or belt loops (it drives me crazy when pants don't have belt loops). Plus the material that lines the pants make it way too warm for weather around here. I feel like I'd be sweating in them as soon as I start moving around. Price point is also really high. Can't justify it at retail, especially when a lot of the detailing feel gimmicky over functional (mainly annoyed by the replacement of the belt loops with a button system).

Voronoi AR - like others have said, they just fit very awkwardly on me, maybe it's just this season. I also found them to be extremely restrictive on the top block and not comfortable enough to my liking. I'll have to look around for the terratex version and give those a try.

Apparant - fit well, but since I have shorter legs these "cropped" pants just looked normal on me. Top block was tight like with the Voronoi too, I'm worried if I size up then the rest of the fit would look off. It was too tight to even have my phone and wallet in my pockets comfortably.

Guess I'll have to keep looking. Need something slim, minimal, and with some stretch.

Sounds like outlier slim dungarees to me or something similar 

20 hours ago, johngalt said:

What's up with all these fake items popping up. They're clearly all coming from the overseas Arc factory. You'd think someone at Arc would put a stop to it

yeah ever since some veilance production moved to china they've been having a field day over there. grailed is loaded with fake veilance.