arcteryx veilance

I'm super sceptical with the method of construction used in the pants shown in the photos. For a shell a single needle and tape might work great, in pants it looks like a poor design choice for durabilty. You can see in the photos that the fabric edge has frayed from the stitches ripping through the fabric's unfinished edge.  The low seam allowances necessary to allow for taping risks leaving the seams too close to the fabric's edge. This in combination with the lack of a finished edge on the fabric, creates the risk of tearing and fraying of the edge overtime and stress. Crotches take a beating (you may not want to google that) and usually have construction that goes the extra mile to address this.

The construction finishes super clean and flat when done this way, too bad it looks like it is weaker in practice that regular old ugly construction. Sadly, there always seems to be some tradeoffs when pushing the edge. I hope they do warranty it as that sounds like a pretty short lifespan. 

19 hours ago, nimo112 said:

anyone know if the apparats will be coming out in peat (olive color) for ss18?  from the previews so far ive only seen black and playa.

i think its just black and khaki, which is less yellow and more desat/grey than playa. peat is usually a FW color.

On 25/11/2017 at 8:26 PM, CB200 said:

I'm super sceptical with the method of construction used in the pants shown in the photos. For a shell a single needle and tape might work great, in pants it looks like a poor design choice for durabilty.

this. i've communicated this very point to AV in the past. also the angle at which the seam sits concentrates shear forces on a small spot in the seam. however, while AV says they're aware of this issue, it seems like they don't actually get that many warranty claims related to seams popping. 

1 hour ago, Inkinsurgent said:

this. i've communicated this very point to AV in the past. also the angle at which the seam sits concentrates shear forces on a small spot in the seam. however, while AV says they're aware of this issue, it seems like they don't actually get that many warranty claims related to seams popping. 

I've personally heard from customer service that at least ten failed Voronoi ARs have been sent to the studio for analysis, at the request of said studio. They're looking into it, but it probably won't be addressed till FW19.

14 hours ago, junkie_dolphin said:

Word on the street is Conroy's back on Veilance. Big if true.

I'd be really excited to see Conroy return. His approach to pants was excellent. Some of my favourite AV pieces were designed by him.

I'm interested to know if he's working full time for AV or just consulting. He's been operating his own company Nachtigall exploration for the past 4 years and it would make sense AV just picked him up. 

Dyneema recently commissioned Conroy to design a jacket for them.

Conroy's return would be interesting. To my eyes, he set the design vision and built the blocks for the line. Other's have had to colour inside the lines that were set by his legacy to keep a through line for designs. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but could be a challenge for other designers to stick to a vision that someone else set. I'd hope to see more interesting pieces, and materials if this is true. 

SMU Monitor Down is also available at Haven as well. I guess this is not that special after-all.

https://shop.havenshop.ca/products/arcteryx-veilance-smu-monitor-coat

According to intelligence Magazine, it is available at select elite retailers.

https://www.intelligencemagazine.com/arcteryx-veilance-smu-monitor-coat/

Edited by matthewcng
added more

21 hours ago, matthewcng said:

I was visiting SSENSE.COM and came across the Special Make Up Monitor Down. FW18? Already?

https://www.ssense.com/en-us/men/product/arcteryx-veilance/grey-down-monitor-coat/2821398

5a1fa1a0b79a8_ScreenShot2017-11-30at2_12_51PM.thumb.png.3d92b612a26898c05ac5766a878d5a51.png

Those things are still floating around all over. I know a guy who managed to customer request one at an Arc'teryx store. It's true though, they'll be getting a proper release FW 2018.

11 hours ago, CB200 said:

Conroy's return would be interesting. To my eyes, he set the design vision and built the blocks for the line. Other's have had to colour inside the lines that were set by his legacy to keep a through line for designs. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but could be a challenge for other designers to stick to a vision that someone else set. I'd hope to see more interesting pieces, and materials if this is true. 

It was always his baby. It'd be great to see him pick up where he left off—not that I didn't like what Lars brought to the table.

the old days of all new items every season and wild textile experiments are not coming back with conroy (or anyone), guys. veilance is big now, and the mother company has been consolidating the line and scaling it's production process for a while now. 

lars did a goddamn amazing job navigating that process and still keeping every new season fresh, the new guy will have to play by the same rules.

Edited by Inkinsurgent

I have a (also? mainly? ... it's been a while... video) review of Spec Shirt and Stealth pants online.

The Operand shirt is similar in material, but quite a bit less unique. Zippered cuffs?

Similar (and why I mention) with the Stealth pants: One of the earliest Windstopper pants, quite an ordinary look, and then the "cargo" pockets over the front of the upper legs. Already a very Veilance design in angularity, but also a rather useful design. (This F/W Field Pants are quite close to the material and looks, though. Would love to have them, but I'd need a sponsor :-p )

Hi.

I got an field pant in peat. It's one of my favorite pants. I'm still struggling with myself to get another one in black. The field feels quite different to all my other veilance pants as it has a quite straight fit without any articulation but still it goes very well with all the other AV pieces.

I can only recommend you to get one.

11 hours ago, bouncingsoul said:

Hi.

I got an field pant in peat. It's one of my favorite pants. I'm still struggling with myself to get another one in black. The field feels quite different to all my other veilance pants as it has a quite straight fit without any articulation but still it goes very well with all the other AV pieces.

I share very similar experience with you. I got a peat field pants and already bought another black one. So don't hesitate. And it looks quite differently from the color. I would say you can use the black one as a semi-formal trousers in some circumstances.

Edited by Chiels

49 minutes ago, bouncingsoul said:

Hi.

May I ask what does your tag say in regards to the fabric composition of the pants, mine for some reason says 94% nylon 6% elastane which is quite different than what AV has on the site

Mine says exactly the same as yours... and it’s the same with my Indisce pants (and blazer) which according to the AV site is also supposed do be 52% polyester, 45% nylon and 3% elasthane as it is the same fabric as the field pants, but the label says 94% nylon and 6% elasthane.

Anyways, the pants are great - both of them - and they do exactly what they are supposed to do! :-)

I’m still not 100% sure, how to proceed... either waiting for the SS18 pants lineup, or going for another FW17 field pants. I‘d love to see a SS18 field pants in the same material as the Voronoi AR, but I have doubts that this is going to happen...

SS18 pant lineup won't have a nyco field pant, but it's still pretty solid/interesting. a goretex cknit pant, terratex/merino/nylon composite sweatpants, a new terratex pant that looks like an indisce mixed with a voronoi sort of, voronois in a new nyco, just to name a few. 

On 5.12.2017 at 2:40 PM, branespload said:

SS18 pant lineup won't have a nyco field pant, but it's still pretty solid/interesting. a goretex cknit pant, terratex/merino/nylon composite sweatpants, a new terratex pant that looks like an indisce mixed with a voronoi sort of, voronois in a new nyco, just to name a few. 

Holy shit - I’ve been waiting for years for waterproof goretex pants to come. If you have seen any pics - how does the fit/ silhouette look like?