arcteryx veilance

Firstly, congrats. chamotte monitor is flames

I asked Lars about the YKK Excella zipper on the Monitor coat vs the coated watertight one on the Monitor Down, and he said the YKK excella is still functionally waterproof from the construction of the jacket/goretex behind it itself. And that the inclusion of the YKK Excella (as well as the fishtail) are more to keep the design rooted in traditional silhouettes, like throwback details, and not necessarily the most 'optimal'.

Anyway, the monitor does completely hold up, it's my main shell for the harshest conditions because of the storm hood, room to layer, and more protection from the added length. I am wearing it a lot now that it's colder actually. And yeah, the Theta AR is gonna be similar.. monitor has awesome pocket placement and capacity though. nobody asked but here's a fit pic of me wearing mine recently lol

73C966A9-4CB0-40CC-9106-DB889E6B9D89.thumb.JPG.eddfc94e542285c7ae7a5a4186fa9009.JPG

Thanks Branespload.  I've got 90 days to return but will probably end up keeping it.  I tried it on with an Atom LT and AR so this has some versatility as an all season layer.  The Monitor has been on my list for quite some time and I guess I can justify it based on the fact that it's not black and it's the only piece of Veilance I've bought since I got the Conduct in the summer.  The pockets are nice and this doesn't scream outdoors like the Theta.

Appreciate the fit pick. Looking good!

Edited by Jolek

I just walked home in the pouring rain and have to say that I have renewed faith in my AV gear. I find that DWR on the Arris lasts longer than my other Gore pieces. The Voronois dried quickly and the Nomin kept my laptop and books safe. The only problem I have is find good looking GTX  shoes to wear with my AV pieces, anyone have some recs.

Also, what are people's opinions of the Conduct, might pick one up 

16 hours ago, johngalt said:

I just walked home in the pouring rain and have to say that I have renewed faith in my AV gear. I find that DWR on the Arris lasts longer than my other Gore pieces. The Voronois dried quickly and the Nomin kept my laptop and books safe. The only problem I have is find good looking GTX  shoes to wear with my AV pieces, anyone have some recs.

Also, what are people's opinions of the Conduct, might pick one up 

adidas-stan-smith-gore-tex-grey-one-BZ02

gtx stan smith, but they're grey not white so idk

update with nomin v2. i had a full pack with my laptop and walked to a cafe to get some work done and for the most part, there isn't rattle. but i swear i can feel a tiny tap on my back if i walk fast or on uneven terrain for a bit or something. it's a stark contrast to my outlier uhqz which feels really stable. it's a result of the dyneema's stability i think. that might change over time if the tweave stretch laptop insert stretches irreversibly loose.

re; conduct

I got it but as someone who loves the Arris, i dont really like the conduct as much. The use case to me seems pretty limited and isn't as everyday wearable because of the cut/fit on me. It's really long on the body and sleeves (looks great on my taller friends, but not on me where AV stuff is already long to begin with). It was hard to work it into my wardrobe since it was rarely rainy enough to warrant goretex, but also hot enough to need to be a trim SS shell, and on-off enough to need to pack and repack the shell often where the Arris wouldn't suffice. I like the storage on the Arris a bit better since it's hard to access the interior pocket on the Conduct, and the kangaroo pockets look kinda ugly when full compared to the more low profile side pockets on the Arris. That said, it does provide better coverage especially around the thigh area and sleeves. It's also pretty comfy when it's on since it's roomier. All of this makes me think it's really good for traveling as a just-in-case piece, or if you dont own an AV shell and really like anoraks

Re. shoes:

Recommendations you might not get easily, but I've come to really like (and not just - full disclosure - because I have a kind of relationship with those brands: got shoes from them to test thoroughly): Icebug and Naglev.

Icebug are Swedish, best known for their obstacle course racing and similar outdoorsy shoes, but they also make (imo) great sneakers. NOW4 look great to me, with a bit of an asymmetric cut to the laces, white sole on black leather upper (in the model I have) - and the sole is a proprietary rubber of theirs which has great grip, plus they come with "Bugweb" which adds extra studs for walking on ice.....

Naglev is an Italian startup, their Unico shoe is light hiking-inspired (so, a bit stronger, heavier), with a light sole similar to a Salomon Speedcross and a black Kevlar upper, among other features.

Will review both soon.

1 hour ago, szg said:

Re. shoes:

Recommendations you might not get easily, but I've come to really like (and not just - full disclosure - because I have a kind of relationship with those brands: got shoes from them to test thoroughly): Icebug and Naglev.

Icebug are Swedish, best known for their obstacle course racing and similar outdoorsy shoes, but they also make (imo) great sneakers. NOW4 look great to me, with a bit of an asymmetric cut to the laces, white sole on black leather upper (in the model I have) - and the sole is a proprietary rubber of theirs which has great grip, plus they come with "Bugweb" which adds extra studs for walking on ice.....

Naglev is an Italian startup, their Unico shoe is light hiking-inspired (so, a bit stronger, heavier), with a light sole similar to a Salomon Speedcross and a black Kevlar upper, among other features.

Will review both soon.

Wow. Really fascinated by the Naglev Unico. How are their water-shedding properties? I live in one of Europes most rainy citys, so I'm always on the look out for quality water proof shoes.

Thanks for the recs guys. I was going to pick up a pair of Solomon Black Labs but the problem is none of the runners I like come in GTX. I'll probably just wait for GTX Ultra Boosts.

If anyone has a pair of those LEAF waterproof socks for cheap, I'll buy them.

@branespload Re Conduct: yea length has been a bit of a problem for me as I'm not too tall. Have you find the cuffs to be problematic. I notice that cuffs are rather wide and do not have adjustors 

So I ended up getting the Graph Cardigan. I like how the collar works well with all my AV items and the slim profile layers effortlessly under and jacket. The body is made from a double knit merino nylon. The nylon nylon underarm and panels are pretty cool too.

I can't help but feel I overpaid for this. Even at an AV premium, the cardigan feels expensive. When first putting it on I felt as if I was wearing a Lululemon track top. In retrospect I'm not sure if I would even pick it up on sale. Maybe I bought the Graph because I see it styled with almost every AV piece. What are everyone's thoughts on it?

6 hours ago, johngalt said:

So I ended up getting the Graph Cardigan. I like how the collar works well with all my AV items and the slim profile layers effortlessly under and jacket. The body is made from a double knit merino nylon. The nylon nylon underarm and panels are pretty cool too.

I can't help but feel I overpaid for this. Even at an AV premium, the cardigan feels expensive. When first putting it on I felt as if I was wearing a Lululemon track top. In retrospect I'm not sure if I would even pick it up on sale. Maybe I bought the Graph because I see it styled with almost every AV piece. What are everyone's thoughts on it?

I love the Graph Cardigan.  It looks great with (almost :-) everything.  I have it in ash and it's very versatile.  I feel it looks best closed, since I find the large pockets push out the front sides of the cardigan when its unzipped (pockets are like big flaps on the inside of the sweater).  It's great over a merino shirt but it can "dress-up" any base layer for work.  Adds a thin, comfortable mid-layer to your winter setup.  Breathes well and helps to retain heat.  Works on its own in summer/fall and the merino keeps you cool.  What's not to like? Oh yea.....the price.  Well, it's hard not to feel like we overpaid for most AV stuff (your reference to AV premium), which is why we spend time here on the forum to rationalize.  But with the Graph I think you have a piece with lots of wearing options.  Enjoy!

i ordered a graph a few seasons back and returned it for much the same reasons. it just doesn't seem worth the price. it also sat on me weird and felt insubstansive. 

still hoping they'll do that beefy looking  fleecy cardigan lars was wearing in the leather goods article.

7 hours ago, smarquis said:

I love the Graph Cardigan.  It looks great with (almost :-) everything.  I have it in ash and it's very versatile.  I feel it looks best closed, since I find the large pockets push out the front sides of the cardigan when its unzipped (pockets are like big flaps on the inside of the sweater).  It's great over a merino shirt but it can "dress-up" any base layer for work.  Adds a thin, comfortable mid-layer to your winter setup.  Breathes well and helps to retain heat.  Works on its own in summer/fall and the merino keeps you cool.  What's not to like? Oh yea.....the price.  Well, it's hard not to feel like we overpaid for most AV stuff (your reference to AV premium), which is why we spend time here on the forum to rationalize.  But with the Graph I think you have a piece with lots of wearing options.  Enjoy!

I wish they made it in Ash or Soot this season. Ended up getting mine in Dark Navy. What large pockets are you referring to? The Graph as I know it is pocketless. Are you sure you're not referring to the Dyadic? I feel you on the dress up part, I work in a casual-ish office and I can get some wear out of the Graph over a shirt. 

You're right, AV is "overpriced" but there are certain items that merit a higher price as they either grant greater utility. I have no problem paying retail for the Voronoi, Nomin or Field. They're items that are labour intensive to make, use costly fabrics and simply don't have a comparable substitute. With the Graph, its hard to swallow almost $500 for a sweater. The merino knit feels super premium but at that price I could get Cucinelli or Berluti sweater. I know its almost false equivocation but the idea is that the price point approaches a totally different market and the rate of growth between price and utility simply doesn't match. 

I will probably take back my words after a few wears. Thanks. Looking forward to wearing this with more AV items

7 hours ago, johngalt said:

I wish they made it in Ash or Soot this season. Ended up getting mine in Dark Navy. What large pockets are you referring to? The Graph as I know it is pocketless. Are you sure you're not referring to the Dyadic? I feel you on the dress up part, I work in a casual-ish office and I can get some wear out of the Graph over a shirt. 

You're right, AV is "overpriced" but there are certain items that merit a higher price as they either grant greater utility. I have no problem paying retail for the Voronoi, Nomin or Field. They're items that are labour intensive to make, use costly fabrics and simply don't have a comparable substitute. With the Graph, its hard to swallow almost $500 for a sweater. The merino knit feels super premium but at that price I could get Cucinelli or Berluti sweater. I know its almost false equivocation but the idea is that the price point approaches a totally different market and the rate of growth between price and utility simply doesn't match. 

I will probably take back my words after a few wears. Thanks. Looking forward to wearing this with more AV items

Not sure I’m qualified to comment on the price—I’ll only say that we are talking about relatively sophisticated patterns, compared to, say, the merino cardigans that Outlier has done in the past (in many ways I think Outlier is doing better merino than anyone, including Veilance... but for me the pattern-making isn’t anywhere near what I’d hope for at that price).

The graph has become the single most-worn thing in closet—I own two, probably going to get a third before the reboot next year—it’s really versatile, surprisingly warm and wind-resistant, and in the weather we’ve been having where I am, there hasn’t been much call for anything much warmer. Of course it’s also great for layering.

the single flaw, for me, is the branded zipper pull, which I’ve learned to tolerate... but I hate that the name is there. At that price, I don’t want my cardigan to be googlable.

4 hours ago, junkie_dolphin said:

the single flaw, for me, is the branded zipper pull, which I’ve learned to tolerate... but I hate that the name is there. At that price, I don’t want my cardigan to be googlable.

The pseudo-CPU status that Veilance always had is starting to disappear. It's disappointing, but inevitable with growth. 

Even Gabriel Hounds, given enough time would lose its true cool factor.

17 hours ago, johngalt said:

The Graph as I know it is pocketless. Are you sure you're not referring to the Dyadic?

Ooops, you are totally right and I was totally talking about the Dyadic when I read your post about the graph.  :wacko:  

Heading to the AV website now to read up on the Graph.

Sorry about the confusion!!

Steve

On 11/16/2017 at 10:57 PM, Haackk said:

Wow. Really fascinated by the Naglev Unico. How are their water-shedding properties? I live in one of Europes most rainy citys, so I'm always on the look out for quality water proof shoes.

Sorry, hadn't been here in a while. Blog posts to write, videos to cut ;)

I've worn them in typhoons in Hong Kong and now Osaka, made sure I splashed through the water, never had any issues.

Pic isn't even completely OT, they are combined there with the summer Voronoi pants

DSC04816.JPG

1 hour ago, szg said:

Sorry, hadn't been here in a while. Blog posts to write, videos to cut ;)

I've worn them in typhoons in Hong Kong and now Osaka, made sure I splashed through the water, never had any issues.

Pic isn't even completely OT, they are combined there with the summer Voronoi pants. 

How's the sizing on those? Looking for a pair of shoes for some lengthy travel (have been looking at some Salomon trail runners) and those look pretty sweet. Good for light/general hiking, or some exercise as well?