arcteryx veilance

I think they purpose of the "bloat" is to enable you to lean forward. I've found that lots of the insulated AV jackets have a similar cut at the hem.  When you you lean forward or are sitting down it provides a little more volume for movement, making the garment less constricting 

i received my repaired voronois today. expertly executed by their swiss repair centre, with fresh seam taping (visually different but who cares). honestly if i had known they'd just repair it straight away i would've mailed and asked if they could put in a beefier seam.

After washing there are a number of very obvious glue or paint marks on the front of the pants that don't come off. Taking it up with the warranty department again..

the repair was free of charge, and interestingly stamped "NO WARRANTY - goodwill repair". I don't know whether this means "we don't feel like this is a warranty issue but in this case we feel bad for you cause it's the second time this happened", or whether veilance has a policy of allowing certain non-warranty repairs due to the nature of the brand.

Edited by Inkinsurgent

first post, first ask for advice.:blush:

i have the problem with the loosening "baconcollar" of my nemis jacket and want to send it in for  repair/replacement.
has anybody an idea if av solved the problem with the elastic meterial or am i going to have the same thing with the new one?

thx 

Multiple people here, including me, have been able to send in Nemis jackets with wavy collars from 2016 and earlier to get the new 2017 versions. IIRC the issue was caused by skin oils breaking down the elastic a little so it would loosen out, the SS2017 ones shouldn't do that (my replacements have collars that look new still). Granted, I wore my Field OS a ton more than my Nemis this season, so maybe someone else with more wear on theirs can chime in.

I don't think they have solved the wavy collar issue on the SS17, I just sent mine in for warranty couple weeks ago.

Contrary to what @branespload said about the skin oil, one of the guys from arcteryx warranty told me it is the stitching needle that punctures the elastic while sewing them together. After couple washes, the elastic gets loosen and that is why the collar deforms.

On 11/7/2017 at 2:18 PM, branespload said:

Closed: oh im bloated now

Now I don't know what temp ranges make sense for the Haedn stuff…

Could you expand more on your Haeden thoughts?

I don't think the short thick insulated Veilance jackets look good, especially those with thin/no hoods. Also I don't like the sleeves that long

Not sure about the nemis in specific, but a common cause of wavy textiles (like in the hem or cuffs of a sweat) is the elastic material loosening up at a faster rate than the adjacent material. Basically the amount of fabric in between stitches increases faster in one textile than in the other, causing the faster stretching material to bulge. 

the nemis problem wasn’t fixed this ss17 but heard that the elasticated collar and cuffs issues with the nemis has been resolved this coming ss18. will be picking one up next year, apart from that problem it’s a really nice jacket and looking forward to grabbing another.

oh wow ok i'm probably wrong about it being fixed on the ss17 thing, but i can tell you they did at least replace mine under warranty. thanks @matthewcng and @scamsterfor pointing that out. i wonder if it's related to moving terratex stuff overseas for next season

5 hours ago, SuE said:

Could you expand more on your Haeden thoughts?

I don't think the short thick insulated Veilance jackets look good, especially those with thin/no hoods. Also I don't like the sleeves that long

Yeah all veilance sleeves are pretty long on me except for terratex stuff that I can shrink down in the dryer, unfortunately. But on a taller person with longer arms the body would look even more cropped lol

As for the Haedn line, I just haven't had a good chance to test them out. I think that'll change today. It's been abnormally hot in NYC, and the times it was in the 50-60 range it was raining, so I didn't want to take out the wool stuff. It's a dry 45-50 tonight so I will give it a go.

1 hour ago, Alexi12345 said:

Any fit pics of the arris ? size reference and size of the jacket. Im looking to use it for winter shell with my down jacket under, looking to see how it fit before and if you guys also use it in the winter with a coat under ?

So you gave up on trying to finesse an achrom from the warranty department?

Edited by Toilettebun

20 minutes ago, Toilettebun said:

So you gave up on trying to finesse an achrom from the warranty department?

They told me I have to pay the difference. The thing is I am in Canada. And I checked in the US and the difference beetween both (Arris :850usd and acrom 1000$usd) is 150$USD but in canada the difference is 375$CAN (925$CAN for the arris and 1300$CAN for the acrom). So I am asking if I could maybe get it for 150$USD since if I was in US I would have it for 150USD$ more. And the difference on the price make no sense since 150$USD is more like 190$CAN. It's complicated because I want the Arris but they don't have it in stock in medium black :( so I have to try getting annother one (the acrom) but I don't want to pay that much.

@Alexi12345 I can throw some up tomorrow. I've been wearing the Arris daily. Though I was rather ambivalent about it at first, I love this jacket now. The large pocket is so useful and the laminated pocket inside makes storing and accessing keys so easy. If you live in any part of Canada outside of Ontario you will probably struggle to use it as a winter shell. The jacket is rather slim and layering is limited. I can fit a hoodie or squeeze a Mionn IS Comp underneath. The real challenge are the slim sleeves. 

Can I ask for what reason the jacket was warranted for? IMO you're getting a pretty sweet upgrade from your pervious jacket and I wouldn't take advantage of Arc's generosity. I'm guilty of it too, but I'm afraid with everyone trying to swing a deal from Arc that one day they're going to get stricter with their "warranty" program. It doesn't make sense to me trying to negotiate the price difference between regions. That's like trying to buy a BMW in China for the German MSRP. I get that the Arris isn't in stock and you'd like a replacement right away but trying to haggle on something that you're already getting a deal on isn't the right approach. I recall the Factory store having some Align jackets not too long ago. Try asking if they'd make an exception and go through the effort of getting you one from there. Otherwise ask to see if they have any "factory seconds" Arris jackets. I was in a similar position as yourself when I warrantied my Galvanic and gladly took a second. There is absolutely no difference in quality. 

2 minutes ago, johngalt said:

@Alexi12345 I can throw some up tomorrow. I've been wearing the Arris daily. Though I was rather ambivalent about it at first, I love this jacket now. The large pocket is so useful and the laminated pocket inside makes storing and accessing keys so easy. If you live in any part of Canada outside of Ontario you will probably struggle to use it as a winter shell. The jacket is rather slim and layering is limited. I can fit a hoodie or squeeze a Mionn IS Comp underneath. The real challenge are the slim sleeves. 

Can I ask for what reason the jacket was warranted for? IMO you're getting a pretty sweet upgrade from your pervious jacket and I wouldn't take advantage of Arc's generosity. I'm guilty of it too, but I'm afraid with everyone trying to swing a deal from Arc that one day they're going to get stricter with their "warranty" program. It doesn't make sense to me trying to negotiate the price difference between regions. That's like trying to buy a BMW in China for the German MSRP. I get that the Arris isn't in stock and you'd like a replacement right away but trying to haggle on something that you're already getting a deal on isn't the right approach. I recall the Factory store having some Align jackets not too long ago. Try asking if they'd make an exception and go through the effort of getting you one from there. Otherwise ask to see if they have any "factory seconds" Arris jackets. I was in a similar position as yourself when I warrantied my Galvanic and gladly took a second. There is absolutely no difference in quality. 

True, my jacket was warranted because of the performance of the fabric of the jacket ( the gore-tex and the face fabric pre-delamination). And yes, I know it's a great uprade :). I'm really happy that they took it under warranty and their service is really great. And damn, I need to wear something under it for winter like my down jacket.

5 hours ago, Alexi12345 said:

Any fit pics of the arris ? size reference and size of the jacket. Im looking to use it for winter shell with my down jacket under, looking to see how it fit before and if you guys also use it in the winter with a coat under ?

The Arris is cut really trim, especially in the shoulders and sleeves, to accommodate an insulator like that. I have some fit pics, size XS and I'm 5'6" 125lb but they're usually just over a tee or one layer at most. In the winter you can get it over a sweater or cardigan, or be uncomfortably snug with a 80gsm coreloft piece. But for a down midlayer you probably want something roomier like the Monitor Coat.

ROGYOXz.jpg VaI9sR4.jpg 

also sry hope ur not tired of my pics but i did try the haedn OS and surprisingly i was able to barely get it under the indisce 3/4. It was plenty warm for 50F without sun actually. I like that I can totally unbutton it to dump some heat and it still works well thanks to the shirt-jacket silhouette. Good midlayer

ETi1nc0.jpg

those of you w/ Haedn pieces, how are you guys using them? temps/conditions, styling, etc

Edited by branespload

1 hour ago, branespload said:

ROGYOXz.jpg  

Are those the Japanese TNF pants? If so, tell me more.

1 hour ago, branespload said:

also sry hope ur not tired of my pics but i did try the haedn OS and surprisingly i was able to barely get it under the indisce 3/4. It was plenty warm for 50F without sun actually. I like that I can totally unbutton it to dump some heat and it still works well thanks to the shirt-jacket silhouette. Good midlayer

ETi1nc0.jpg

those of you w/ Haedn pieces, how are you guys using them? temps/conditions, styling, etc

Agh the collar pop. I personally can't wear the Haedn stuff as a midlayer. The cuts are restrictive enough on their own and under a shell or coat, they get impossible to move in. I couldn't really work either the OS or jacket into my life and will be selling both. They really only work as individual pieces. All of the lookbooks with the Haedn stuff layered under are viscerally great but constricting and defeat the purpose of AV. It was also difficult to wear the Nomin with either jacket as pilling would be guaranteed. I also ran hot in both. 

I will be keeping the Anode Comps. These pants really deserve more attention 

nice fits @branespload would like to try something similar with an indisce 3/4 if (i can find one) but suffer the dreaded sleeve length problem if I move up a size to accommodate a something like the os.

tried the haedn overshirt and found the jump between sizes too great, medium is a touch too small and found movement a little constricting, large and i'm swimming in it. trying to loose a few kilos so will revisit the medium again in couple of months. hope to grab the os and pair with my field. the store unfortunately doesn't stock the haedn jacket, does this fit slim or a little more boxy?

13 hours ago, scamster said:

the nemis problem wasn’t fixed this ss17 but heard that the elasticated collar and cuffs issues with the nemis has been resolved this coming ss18. will be picking one up next year, apart from that problem it’s a really nice jacket and looking forward to grabbing another.

13 hours ago, branespload said:

oh wow ok i'm probably wrong about it being fixed on the ss17 thing, but i can tell you they did at least replace mine under warranty. thanks @matthewcng and @scamsterfor pointing that out. i wonder if it's related to moving terratex stuff overseas for next season

tough decision. living with the cheap looking collar or wearing made in china stuff:wacko:
think i'm going to give it a shot and try to get the ss17 version. 

7 hours ago, johngalt said:

Agh the collar pop. I personally can't wear the Haedn stuff as a midlayer. The cuts are restrictive enough on their own and under a shell or coat, they get impossible to move in. I couldn't really work either the OS or jacket into my life and will be selling both. They really only work as individual pieces. All of the lookbooks with the Haedn stuff layered under are viscerally great but constricting and defeat the purpose of AV. It was also difficult to wear the Nomin with either jacket as pilling would be guaranteed. I also ran hot in both. 

yep they're the Accel Light pant, very good pant for the price and my body type imo. Slim, short inseam, almost everything is bonded and the logo is barely visible from a distance. Integrated belt, bonded zip thigh pocket, back pocket, etc. very lightweight with plenty of stretch, DWR works well too http://www.goldwin.co.jp/tnf/ec/pro/disp/2/NB31601

and lol yeah the collar pop I like wearing the indisce 3/4 with the collar up especially when it's colder.

As for the Haedn stuff, I see what you mean. Looking back, the Haedn OS isn't 1:1 exactly the same as the Field OS which I like more. I don't really like how large the collar is on the Haedn OS since I have a small head as it is. I want it to work well as an individual piece, but the lack of lower pockets makes it hard, especially in the winter when I want my hands someplace warm. I actually haven't tried to wear either of these with a pack now that I think about it, I don't think the face fabric would handle straps under heavy load either.

I wish I could wear them more as individual pieces, but it's hard to get the temperatures right for that (I might just be overthinking everything). Even though AV styles the Haedn Bomber under the Node Down, I think 1. that would be overkill, warmthwise 2. it would be very hard to move around since both of those are boxy and cropped as it is. The Haedn fabric is so structured it's pretty thicc unlike the Field OS fabric, and it's definitely boxier fitting than the Graph cardi. Also, idk how I feel about layering two of those stand collars, like a Quoin vest + Haedn Jacket or Graph Cardi + Headn Jacket.

I'll still give them a few more wears to see if I can make the use case 'click' for me. I think they're going to be warmer than I thought they'd be and might be just-right for where I think my 80gsm coreloft is too hot.

6 hours ago, scamster said:

nice fits @branespload would like to try something similar with an indisce 3/4 if (i can find one) but suffer the dreaded sleeve length problem if I move up a size to accommodate a something like the os.

tried the haedn overshirt and found the jump between sizes too great, medium is a touch too small and found movement a little constricting, large and i'm swimming in it. trying to loose a few kilos so will revisit the medium again in couple of months. hope to grab the os and pair with my field. the store unfortunately doesn't stock the haedn jacket, does this fit slim or a little more boxy?

The Haedn bomber is definitely more on the boxy side for me, but it might be my body type. It's a shorter cropped jacket with plenty of structure so it'll appear wider. It's definitely cut to accommodate layering underneath, and much slimmer than the Graph cardigan. Here's a fit pic https://i.imgur.com/XG1zqa1.jpg

18 hours ago, johngalt said:

Anode comps are my first Veilance pants - they are such incredible pants. Kept me warm in 20F, and the cut is perfect. I'm tempted to buy another two pairs and wear them exclusively.

I didn't really like the Anode Comps at first and didn't give them any attention. I was bored last week and decided to try a pair on while picking up some ski gear and loved them. At first I was a little hesitant as the price is a little out of my comfort zone but these are my only true winter pants. 

@rjbman if you like the cut, try the Voronois. They're similar in pattern, save the contrasting hem. The fabric won't be nearly as beefy but great summer and fall options

14 hours ago, branespload said:

Even though AV styles the Haedn Bomber under the Node Down, I think 1. that would be overkill, warmthwise 2. it would be very hard to move around since both of those are boxy and cropped as it is.

lol, i was so wrong. it dipped to below freezing in nyc with some wind and i didnt want to take any chances so i just went with a Frame LS, Haedn Jacket, Node Down and Anode pants

The Haedn worked well here as a midlayer, but I can't really tell if it's any better than a Graph sweater or even a mainline Arc Covert Cardigan. It definitely wasn't overkill, not at 26F anyway.

The Anode pants I had always written off because they aren't that good for wet conditions and they're a little too slim for my tastes, but maybe the Anode Comp will have a different drape and silhouette given the new fabric and sizing. Anyway, I'm glad you guys are mentioning the Anode because it impressed me. I was wearing cropped jackets and my seat area was still comfortably warm. I worried about wind chill but it's not that bad. In fact, I think the Windstopper Indisces might feel even colder just because of how conductive the fabric is against skin. So now for when it's really cold and still dry, I'll opt for the Anode.

must try the anode comp trousers didn’t realise that the fit has been reworked from the last a/w version which I found incredibly slim. @branespload you mention the lack of water resistance/proof does anyone know if it would it possible to apply a wash in dwr treatment using nikwax tx direct or grangers equivalent? maybe a spray would be better after a wash? although this could affect the breathablilty of the material and no one likes sweaty balls.

Oh oops I didn’t mean to imply the actual cut/fit of the Anode has been deliberately changed on the Comp, I am speculating it might be different only slightly because it’s a different material. Also for me it would be a size up (28 to 29) and that might alleviate some of the slimness.

as for water resistance you’ll probably want to do a spray for best results, I’ve heard the wash in stuff is harder to control consistently but I’ve not used both to compare.

the reason I mention it’s not as weatherproof is because relative to the indisce it has less nylon content and it isn’t windproof. DWR bonds to nylon stuff better, and the comp has cotton and wool content so those obviously dry slower and stuff. Lastly, I don’t think you’d be sweating in anodes, they don’t seem to run that hot for me

So I ended up buying the Monitor Chamotte from the Nordstrom Rack sale and just got it today.  A few surprises when I tried it on.  I really like the colour.  Pretty much all my Arc'teryx and Veilance is black so this is a nice change.  Second surprise is that the zipper isn't a waterproof zipper.  Does anyone have experience with the Monitor?  How does it hold up with the non-waterproof zipper and do you find it gets a lot of wear?

I always wanted the Monitor but the practical side of me is now thinking that I already have a Theta AR and they cover a lot of the same ground.