arcteryx veilance

On 9/25/2017 at 4:45 PM, junkie_dolphin said:

If what I’ve heard is true, my goodness, you’re not going to like what’s coming next year...

Personally I find the Patrol Down way too warm, even without the shell on. It actually feels warmer than the Monitor Down... not sure if that’s just subjective though. And I really don’t like the cut of the shell—the hood is weirdly small, and the length is in this weird in-between... not the Node, but not the Monitor either. I much prefer the Patrol IS.

Made in Canada?

Finally got to handle a few more pieces in Japan. 11 days there, 9+ days wearing the Field OS. Only time I didn't wear it was when I was on a trail, not in a city. Liked it before (well, or I wouldn't have bought it), love it now. Passport in upper left pocket, notebook in upper right, smartphone (and JR Pass) lower left, camera lower right - all set.

Maybe I should go for one of my video reviews of it, but they are so few and far between for fashion/Veilance, given how little I can afford of it...

Long time veilance fan here. Have owned the Nomin Pack since inception (due for 2nd zipper replacement soon), Node IS (outstanding jacket, almost warmer than my Canada Goose x Wings + Horns decade parka), the green seque tote and a landaq hat. Definitely gonna pick up that card case in the very near future after seeing photos on this forum.

Now, I just got word from a retailer that carries veilance that they're moving all production over to China next season. As a long time fan I'm upset about this, not sure if I'll purchase any "made in china" veilance. 

Anyone else feel the same about veilance forgoing Canadian production all togther?

Next season as in, SS18? That doesn't align with what I learned at Liberty Fairs earlier this year, only terratex softshell pieces (Nemis, Blazer LT) and the like will move. As of this season pants have moved already though.

Gotcha. The retailer I spoke with recently visited the Vancouver HQ, they most likely exagerated the news. 

I had trouble believing it as well after reading recent interviews with the Veilance team and their connection with the brand, a few pieces makes more sense

I understand the reasons a company moves production to China, and I have no doubt they can make Veilance items just as well as the Canadian made stuff. But what I can't jive with is the already insane pricing not getting any kind of relief (let alone a likely increase) when they move production abroad. Not sure how I will feel about this going forward. Disappointing. 

Edited by jacktru

2 hours ago, jacktru said:

I understand the reasons a company moves production to China, and I have no doubt they can make Veilance items just as well as the Canadian made stuff. But what I can't jive with is the already insane pricing not getting any kind of relief (let alone a likely increase) when they move production abroad. Not sure how I will feel about this going forward. Disappointing. 

I think this goes hand in hand to how Veilance is the epitome of minimalist technical wear for the city and that people are willing to pay the price, take this statement with a grain of salt.

Been wearing my new Achrom IS a little more frequently, now that it's getting a bit colder. Branespload has already championed it pretty heavily, so I won't say too much—only that it's a pretty weird jacket, but I'm warming up to it. One strange thing about it is the way that the front sort of sticks out; there's no waist-adjustment system at the bottom of the jacket (unlike the Mionn IS Jacket, or the Node Down), and the stiffness of the waterproof zipper causes the jacket to stick out in a way that can allow wind to go up into the jacket a little bit. This isn't necessarily a bad thing—for a jacket with this kind of insulation, it's not the end of the world that you'd get a bit of ventilation—but it's odd that there's no option to tighten it around your hips. I also imagine that my lack of hips probably makes this issue more pronounced.

Curious to hear your thoughts Branespload.

On 11/3/2017 at 4:20 AM, cybersushi said:

Just wanted to echo similarly poor experience with Cruvoir. Ordered Indisce pants during their sale last month thinking they were in stock. Received multiple "progress" emails like "awaiting stock from our Canadian supplier" and "your order is clearing customs and will be mailed out next week". Then 3 weeks after ordering, I received an order cancellation due to being "out of stock" and was given online store credit...which I quickly contested. 

Did you successfully get refunded?

5 hours ago, Toilettebun said:

I think this goes hand in hand to how Veilance is the epitome of minimalist technical wear for the city and that people are willing to pay the price, take this statement with a grain of salt.

As in, the fact that Veilance seems to be as popular as ever (as prices continue to rise) only proves that it's fulfills a much-demanded niche as the premium minimalist tech wear option? This is probably true, and by moving to China they can probably produce even more garments and continue to ride their success. Maybe it's just the clothing-equivalent of being priced out of a neighborhood others can afford. 

Nonetheless it's frustrating, especially when the garments themselves are so 'industrial,' i.e. it's not like it's hand-woven ultra fine cashmere, the pricing is very arbitrary (or rather, you're paying for the design/execution and god damn if it's not frustrating that no other company seems to be able to make as quality of stuff as Veilance does). Maybe it's just the market working as it should, I guess. 

7 hours ago, junkie_dolphin said:

Been wearing my new Achrom IS a little more frequently, now that it's getting a bit colder. Branespload has already championed it pretty heavily, so I won't say too much—only that it's a pretty weird jacket, but I'm warming up to it. One strange thing about it is the way that the front sort of sticks out; there's no waist-adjustment system at the bottom of the jacket (unlike the Mionn IS Jacket, or the Node Down), and the stiffness of the waterproof zipper causes the jacket to stick out in a way that can allow wind to go up into the jacket a little bit. This isn't necessarily a bad thing—for a jacket with this kind of insulation, it's not the end of the world that you'd get a bit of ventilation—but it's odd that there's no option to tighten it around your hips. I also imagine that my lack of hips probably makes this issue more pronounced.

Curious to hear your thoughts Branespload.

That’s actually my only critique of the jacket and why I prefer how it looks when worn open. It gives your silhouette a phantom belly in that it sticks out towards the front a little bit even if you’re pretty slim. I guess it doesn’t offer much waist adjustment because the jacket is meant for a west coast/less severe climate, which is also why it doesn’t have a dedicated hood or full coverage collar.

In real wind + rain I opt for Mionn IS + Monitor, so the Achrom is a bit of a narrow use case for me. But my brother in SF for example, gets by with the Achrom as his only coat

Edited by branespload

6 hours ago, jacktru said:

As in, the fact that Veilance seems to be as popular as ever (as prices continue to rise) only proves that it's fulfills a much-demanded niche as the premium minimalist tech wear option? This is probably true, and by moving to China they can probably produce even more garments and continue to ride their success. Maybe it's just the clothing-equivalent of being priced out of a neighborhood others can afford. 

Nonetheless it's frustrating, especially when the garments themselves are so 'industrial,' i.e. it's not like it's hand-woven ultra fine cashmere, the pricing is very arbitrary (or rather, you're paying for the design/execution and god damn if it's not frustrating that no other company seems to be able to make as quality of stuff as Veilance does). Maybe it's just the market working as it should, I guess. 

I think you're severely underestimating the production process of Veilance considering the complexities of each pieces' pattern. The garments aren't as industrialized as you may think it is, 1 Patrol Down jacket takes about 15 hours to make (my memory might be hazy but it's within this estimated time). 

34 minutes ago, Toilettebun said:

I think you're severely underestimating the production process of Veilance considering the complexities of each pieces' pattern. The garments aren't as industrialized as you may think it is, 1 Patrol Down jacket takes about 15 hours to make (my memory might be hazy but it's within this estimated time). 

not to mention they need to engineer their own manufacturing equipment to reach the execution they do for some of the stuff. i think the patrol takes 18 hours actually lol

2 hours ago, branespload said:

That’s actually my only critique of the jacket and why I prefer how it looks when worn open. It gives your silhouette a phantom belly in that it sticks out towards the front a little bit even if you’re pretty slim. I guess it doesn’t offer much waist adjustment because the jacket is meant for a west coast/less severe climate, which is also why it doesn’t have a dedicated hood or full coverage collar.

In real wind + rain I opt for Mionn IS + Monitor, so the Achrom is a bit of a narrow use case for me. But my brother in SF for example, gets by with the Achrom as his only coat

Yeah, it looks sick worn open. I find when it gets really brutally cold out I'm fine layering a Graph under it—that seems to fill out the body a little more. Interesting that it's not coming back next year—they're really moving away from Coreloft for Veilance.

4 minutes ago, branespload said:

not to mention they need to engineer their own manufacturing equipment to reach the execution they do for some of the stuff. i think the patrol takes 18 hours actually lol

It's those buttons—they tuck away into their own little pockets. Each of those pockets supposedly takes at least an hour to do.

Re. China and pricing: Head of a factory in China that does high-end stuff is an acquaintance; they market themselves by their skill and are able to produce to the standards of a Veilance. Cheap production has been moving away from China for a while now, actually.

Also, if you wanted to know what's going on, you should look towards the corporation that owns Arcteryx (and Suunto, Wilson, Precor, iirc... lots of sports brands). Digitally connected devices (i.e. Suunto sports watches) and Arc/Veilance are/were supposed to be major foci for them. Suunto hasn't been working out so well recently, but Arc/Veilance seems to be. And that being a publicly traded corporation, it's easy to find some info, very hard to get other, but very clear that they are looking to maximize shareholder value.

So, if people are willing to buy at the prices they ask, there ya go.

14 hours ago, Toilettebun said:

Na. I think people will come to their senses sooner rather than later. There's a point where you have to step back and say to yourself, "what the hell am I doing spending $2000 on a jacket and $700 for a pair of pants?"

I think it's important to recognize that the majority of AV revenue comes from people outside this forum. It's easy to get into this insular thinking that all AV customers are the same as the SuFu hive mind. The majority of the people that I know who buy AV aren't tech nerds. They don't hunt for sales, spend hours deciding between jackets or post their questions about use case for discussion on this thread. They have a crazy disposable income and buy AV either for vanity or like the technical satorial offerings. Simply put, they don't quite understand the full features of the jackets or pants that they're wearing but buy it because they like it (for whatever reason) and just because they can. While I spends days contemplating a purchase, the people I know stop by the store weekly and pickup whatever catches their eye. A conversation with the owner of a local AV stockist reveals quite the same demographic 

Also cold here, and coincidentally wearing the Achrom, so I figured I'd take some fit pics to illustrate what @junkie_dolphinand I are talking about in case any of you are curious:

Open, so cool very swag

847F10B8-13F6-4DF9-A777-2F81597ADCF7.thumb.JPG.7224261ae94eb377dacc8ec501d301b9.JPGB2D56906-D8FB-4D96-BD39-C759D73F94C6.thumb.JPG.8fd8edbe4bf10d271d8c598627535693.JPG

Closed: oh im bloated now

4CC65EF8-73EF-4A2B-9AC4-1B63A5854E15.thumb.JPG.0cae7a7a21303cfb7ccd1f53ab2c4176.JPG057DF889-5C31-4371-BB0A-04413664B226.thumb.JPG.c2507fbe884b200e77466ccbe5529f47.JPG

F99E097B-151C-4C94-8D85-D19B1F05C7E3.thumb.JPG.bfb88eccd16d8bd49ee1e56e991f032e.JPG

that said, im wearing just this and the merino tee and my pits are still sweating in 45F cold. I guess 80gsm coreloft is warmer than I thought. Now I don't know what temp ranges make sense for the Haedn stuff…

3 hours ago, shoreman said:

Na. I think people will come to their senses sooner rather than later. There's a point where you have to step back and say to yourself, "what the hell am I doing spending $2000 on a jacket and $700 for a pair of pants?"

That's roughly acronym prices and I don't think that will deter as many people as might be expected. Veilance comes with a cost, at the current price point it's already far beyond what most people would ever consider a reasonable price for clothing, yet all of us are still here buying and wearing. I'm not saying I want to have the price go up and up, but at least price points have not changed drastically. IIRC voronoi ARs were originally $395 and now they're $375 after some fabric and production changes, the line has always been about this expensive (minus new coat designs increasing the upper limits of what you can spend on a piece).

I just receive an email from arcteryx veilance warranty. They said I could take the arris jacket wich is 925$CAN . But there is no stock in size medium black. I would like to get the acrom but it's pricier than the arris. Anybody have some kind of experience with warranty return ? I don't want to pay the difference beetwen the arris and the Acrom(1300$CAN). I would like to deal with veilance service to have it for a certain price, like 100$ or maybe 150 more or something ? Can they do this, or if I want it I really have to pay the full difference beetween the arris and the acrom if I want it? Because the arris in my size and colour is not in stock.

Thanks in advance 

29 minutes ago, Alexi12345 said:

I just receive an email from arcteryx veilance warranty. They said I could take the arris jacket wich is 925$CAN . But there is no stock in size medium black. I would like to get the acrom but it's pricier than the arris. Anybody have some kind of experience with warranty return ? I don't want to pay the difference beetwen the arris and the Acrom(1300$CAN). I would like to deal with veilance service to have it for a certain price, like 100$ or maybe 150 more or something ? Can they do this, or if I want it I really have to pay the full difference beetween the arris and the acrom if I want it? Because the arris in my size and colour is not in stock.

Thanks in advance 

I'd be surprised if they're willing to negotiate on the price being anything but the retail difference. Since it's the black you're after, I'm sure they'll have it restocked at some point. I had this happen with my Nemis, they didn't have black so I just waited until they had it in stock. Not sure how much you're willing to wait though. 

1 minute ago, jacktru said:

I'd be surprised if they're willing to negotiate on the price being anything but the retail difference. Since it's the black you're after, I'm sure they'll have it restocked at some point. I had this happen with my Nemis, they didn't have black so I just waited until they had it in stock. Not sure how much you're willing to wait though. 

Yeah it said two month they will have it in stock. The problem is I need it now since it's starting freezing here in Canada and I don't have another jacket :( 

Veilance is really popular now, I don't remeber from older season if any jacket was out of stock. 

2 hours ago, Alexi12345 said:

Thanks in advance 

You should discuss it with the veilance warranty team as opposed to us. What was the problem on your previous jacket?

5 hours ago, Alexi12345 said:

are you seriously asking if they'll give you a more expensive item than you owned under warranty?

11 hours ago, branespload said:

Closed: oh im bloated now

looks good to me, dude. the entire jacket is just canted backwards a little. look at your posture in that pic you'll see that your shoulders are further back than your hips, causing the jacket to sit at an angle.

That’s true, but when I wear a backpack it always pushes the back of the jacket flat so the front sticks out a little. Either way I don’t think it looks bad closed, I just think it looks really cool open lol. Also when you have your hands in the pockets it looks normal, which is how I’m usually walking around when it’s cold anyway