arcteryx veilance

Arc struggles to make composite pieces as most machine operators highly specialized and and you can image an insulated crew is made and cut drastically different from a jacket. From the way the the baffles lay on top of your skin as opposed to another layer to the way insulation has to be mapped for a next to skin fit, the process is very difficult and sensitive.

The way these look books work is that they first feature the whole forecasted line up (2 years in advance) and as the season approaches, revisions are made and items are finalized or scrapped. If you look at the actual sharedrive copy of these look books you'll see they're full of sticky notes denoting changes. Items get cancelled all the time (mostly composite pieces like the Geom and Scend in FW 14). 

looks like it.. i dont think i like that collar shape or the baffles or the color lol. but brown monitor looks cool. curious to see what the rest of the color palette is like. this must be fw19?

Anyone have feedback re: Frame shirt vs. Outlier's Ultrafine Merino offering? Or general comparison in Veilance sizing vs. Outlier (I'm much more familiar with Veilance stuff and how it fits, not at all familiar with Outlier). 

Looking to get a couple for some traveling and am a bit worried the Frame might not be hefty enough. 

And has anyone put the Isogon through its paces in a lot of rain? Love it as a casual jacket, and would love to bring one as my go to jacket since it's got great handfeel and pockets and isn't overly warm (I'll be in Asia, including SE Asia). Not sure how much wear and tear it can take, as well as how it fares for rain beyond a drizzle. 

On 10/20/2017 at 12:50 PM, branespload said:

would love to see fit pics of going true vs sizing up one, since my true size (28) isnt even an option

i've heard some voronoi AR owners having a hard time with busted seams.. so i wouldn't be too confident with trying to warranty if it doesn't affect functionality. still, it's an unintended visual defect. maybe you can call them and ask before sending it in?

@SuE yea i'll try to get some photos in here later today

i somehow missed this reply! sorry no pics of the TTS 29 as i've returned them already. here is what the sized up 30's look like on me. 5'6ish average build, weight no idea prob 140

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

8 hours ago, digitalmountain said:

Any info on when S/S 2018 is coming out and if there will be Apparats in gray? I thought I saw a pair in one of the preview pics.

probably early/mid feb. i think apparats only come in like, khaki (true khaki iirc, not playa or utility) and black. the grey (ash) you mightve seen was the dyadic comp pant, which is like a merino/nylon blend + terratex + merino jersey inner construction

Edited by branespload
clarity

2 hours ago, branespload said:

probably early/mid feb. i think apparats only come in like, khaki (true khaki iirc, not playa or utility) and black. the grey (ash) you mightve seen was the dyadic comp pant, which is like a merino/nylon blend + terratex + merino jersey inner construction

TELL ME MORE

5 hours ago, branespload said:

i'm pretty sure there was another grey pant in that weird zombie show they did. Maybe the skinny voronoi cousin.

10 hours ago, johngalt said:

TELL ME MORE

mannn i am so excited for the dyadic comp revamp. 

pics from metropolitan society: http://www.metropolitansociety.co/blog/arcteryx-veilance-ss18

IMG_0591.jpg?format=1000w

IMG_0562.jpg?format=1000w

59f230779c5b0_1(3).thumb.jpg.d6fc7e69c4265b652d0a1f8e4a864168.jpg

top two pics are the pants. much easier to see in the ash/grey version, but it's terratex construction in the upper portion, then parts of the leg have a merino/nylon blend i think similar to the body and sleeves of the graph cardi. then, on the inside, like in the seat/crotch/thighs and all that it's a merino jersey, like the frame shirts. im not sure if it has nylon content in it for added burst strength though. the paneling was crazy. i believe it snap buttons at the hem, like the same hardware used on current haedn OS. inseam i think is set at 30" and can't really hem them.. the waist also i think doesnt have belt loops or anything, just more snap button adjustors to bring the waist from +/- 1", presumably at .5" intervals

bottom pic is the dyadic comp hoodie and pullover. also come in ash or black. very similar concept, a revamp of the dyadic sweater but with terratex paneling. i think they look really cool and fit the veilance hoody i've always wanted. the mionn IS comp jacket is a bit much, i think this will be perfect

Edited by branespload
just looked closer at the pics, no buttons. maybe you can hem yay

I really do like the patterning there, especially that low thigh/knee patch, wonder if that's a small cargo pocket.

Also those shoes.. are those the Arcteryx Acrux without that ugly heel branding? If so, that will be another pickup for me.

I am a little concerned about the busted crotch. I hope Veilance has taken care of such a prevalent and repetitive issue.

2 hours ago, AnomalousTautology said:

I am a little concerned about the busted crotch. I hope Veilance has taken care of such a prevalent and repetitive issue.

i'd have to see the material up close but if it's merino jersey as mentioned, simply sitting in an office chair will eat through it. merino is great stuff but its one big weakness is abrasion. 

imho the thing with the voronois is the crotch gusset geometry. the angle at which the seam sits seems to concentrate shear forces (from walking, sitting with your legs apart, etc) on a very small section of seam, which eventually gives way. once something pops there, the seam integrity is compromised and the tear widens under the same shear forces. it either needs a ruggedized seam (just flat lock it or whatever) or a complete redesign of the gusset.

Edited by Inkinsurgent

6 hours ago, Inkinsurgent said:

i'd have to see the material up close but if it's merino jersey as mentioned, simply sitting in an office chair will eat through it. merino is great stuff but its one big weakness is abrasion.

oh, i should've clarified. the merino jersey is only skin-facing, it's terratex on the outside, wool on the inside. something like that. that would be weird if it were just a jersey crotch through and through, like wearing merino underwear as pants lol

3 hours ago, branespload said:

oh, i should've clarified. the merino jersey is only skin-facing, it's terratex on the outside, wool on the inside. something like that. that would be weird if it were just a jersey crotch through and through, like wearing merino underwear as pants lol

gotcha. that does sound good. did they bond the merino to the terratex or is it like a liner?

5 hours ago, cktenders said:

Has anybody used the Seque tote that could provide some feedback? Anything interesting design wise that sets it apart, or just your run of mill tote with cooler aesthetic/material? 

i wouldn't call it run of the mill, but it's not mindblowing either. i have and use both the arc blanca 19 and the old seque. while they're both totes and the same material i like them each for different reasons. The Seque's big draw is the dual handle lengths. It just makes it easy to change how you carry it during the day depending on the load and whatnot.

It's also more of a 'closed' tote. Traditional totes are totally open from the top, and even the Blanca feels more open the way the zipper/shape of the bag work together. The Seque just has that one zipper along the top, and the shape of the bag is more rectangular. So even when unzipped, it doesn't really open up that much. This can be useful when you're stuffing it full, like taking it traveling. But for day-to-day stuff, it might be kind of annoying to access.

I know you can probably get a good deal on the old Seque, but if I were you, I'd just try to spring for the new version because it addresses some of the biggest usability problems of the old one. Namely the dual zipper, meaning you can open the bag from either side in either direction and only as much as you need it to open, as well as the finger notches to anchor the bag material while you apply tension to pull the zippers.

Feel free to ask specific questions, but we did touch on the Seque a few pages back I think.

2 hours ago, Inkinsurgent said:

gotcha. that does sound good. did they bond the merino to the terratex or is it like a liner?

i didnt get to check that, only caught them briefly at the liberty fairs show in nyc and weren't my size so didn't try them on or anything…

14 minutes ago, johngalt said:

So I've had a few people reach out to me asking for more in-depth AV reviews after I did the Nomin V2 review. Let me know if there are any items in particular you would like. I currently have the Arris, Field, Field OS, Voro and Align pants with me. 

If possible the Arris and Field OS I've felt it on hand but always been on the edge about buying it and could never really pull the trigger on those two items.

not to be an enabler but those are my two respective favorite releases from ss16 and ss17. not to mention they layer perfectly together (well, the front of the field OS sticks out a little, but the notched hems line up perfectly)

jkt5vd9.jpg

im curious to hear john's opinion on those too and if they differ from mine. also i think it would be useful for some folks to do a comparison between field IS and field OS (i dont own a field IS so cant say, but have seen many people ask about the two)

Cool I'll start with the Arris and do the Field OS in due time. 

Arris Review

I've had the Arris for a little while now and been using it as my daily shell. Though it is designed is a next to skin shell, I have been able to layer a litte under it. I mostly wear Reigning Champ sweatshirts and hoodies. For those unfamiliar, the Arris is an amalgamation of the Actuator and Composite jacket. It merges the pattern of the Composite with the full GTX construction of the Actuator. However, the Arris does not have a dedicated self pack pocket. 

I won't provide a temperature rating as warmth is subjective. Expect the jacket to perform as all other mid-weight GTX shells. 

FE1hH5g.jpgDtiiuSZ.jpg

Fit

The Arris is a slim cut GTX shell. Taking your mainline hardshell size will achieve a next to skin fit -- though sleek, possibly restricting. For reference I wear a S in the Alpha LT and SL and took a M in the Arris. I wear M in the Field OS, Haedn and Blazer LT. This jacket is a tailored option and looks considerably better than the baggy mainline garbage bags. The jacket comfortable accommodates a medium weight RC sweat or the Field OS. Those looking to layer a Mionn underneath will struggle. The only insulated midlayer that fits is the Mionn IS Comp. I do find that the storm hood is cut to fit close when worn down. This becomes problematic when trying to layer a hoodie underneath. The collar is cut to slightly towards the wearer when fully zipped and can get tight with a hoodie, making it difficult to burry your face in the storm hood collar. I do wish the chin guard was bigger. This isn't a problem unique to the Arris but I would like to see AV pieces feature bigger chin guards. 

The underarm gussets mitigate jacket ride-up up to shoulder level. Raising your arms higher will result in the jacket riding up. There isn't much articulations in the shoulder and the jackets can get constricting when reaching forward. 

The sleeves are cut slim but have ample volume to accommodate a sweater. When wearing a sweat, bent elbows can get tight. The cuff uses the iconic notched construction for extended thumb mobility. Though somewhat useful, this is more for visual interest and the tips of the cuff get dirty easily. Unlike the composite, there are no Cobrax snaps to adjust the cuff. Instead a small piece of plain weave elastic is used. Don't worry, it isn't the same as the wavy Nemis ribbing. I have yet to experience any deformation. 

Overall, at the expenses of full mobility, the Arris sits wonderfully over a t-shirt or sweat. For a sleek look, you won't another shell. 

Utility

The Arris has two clandestine features that dramatically improve functionality. Next to the right hand pocket is a larger pocket. Inside is stretchy laminated pocket. There is enough space to store a Switch or large notebook. I typically keep my wallet and keys in here. It's important to note that the Arris pocket zips are difficult to operate. Unlike the Field where the zipper is on the jacket covered by a concealing flap, the Arris pocket zips are place on the reverse of the concealing flap. This makes pulling the zippers down difficult since less force is acting on the tensile axis to keep the flap taut. 

RotS0ad.jpg

There is another stretchy pocket laminated on the left interior of the jacket. It's pretty useless as its too small for a phone or wallet and bulges too much when used to store keys.

The defining feature of the Arris that most notice is the notched hem. There is a hem offset of an inch and half, lending more weather coverage in the back. The notch lines up nicely with the slant pockets on the Align and make for easier access. The notches will not compliment top entry pockets like the Voro, Anode or Indice.  Beyond improved pocket access, the notches are purely for visual interest. Note that sitting down with the jacket fully zipped is not flattering as the front hem bends forward and looks like the hem is about to rip at the notch seam. 

Gore C-Knit composes the entire jacket. The face fabric is supple to the touch and the C-Knit backer is comfortable for next to skin wear. I have hear of cases where the backer greatly discolours to direct contact with skin. I have yet to experience this but can imagine that overtime I will notice the effects too.

Summary

Buy this jacket if you want a slim agile shell to accompany you on your daily urban commute. Layering is possible but if you're coming from a mainline shell, you'll find limited options. There are a variety of storage options but the jacket needs great refinement is most these areas. The notched cuff and hem are cool and offer some utility but don't expect them to reinvent the shell experience. Oh, I'll say this again, if you can justify this jacket, then you shouldn't hesitate to purchase the V2 Nomin. I've mentioned a lot of unsavoury elements about this jacket but am still happily enjoying it; however I found much great use and price utility in the Nomin V2. A LOT more work goes to making Nomin.

EDIT: Hats off to @larssss for making a killer shell that unequivocally replaced two fan favourites: the Actuator and Composite.  But if anyone has a Composite for cheap let me know. I want

Edited by johngalt