arcteryx veilance

I'll be honest. For me, the choice between the V1 and V2 is clear. There are just so many things wrong with the V1. The straps are uncomfortable, pull into your pits, and the ladder lock slips easily. The zippers are cumbersome around corners. The front pouch takes up almost the entire front compartment. The bag collapse on itself and has a terrible sag. I'd get terribly fatigued with just a laptop in it.  The bungee cord can get caught and becomes difficult to fasten. In retrospect, I was never happy with the bag and tried my hardest to like it because it was Veilance. I would buy an Arro 22 or Velaro over the V1 Nomin any day.

@branespload is right. As a high capacity travel bag, the V1 is much better than the V2; however, I would elect to get another bag if you really want a bag to dump stuff. There is very litter organization in the V1. I've never really felt the rattle that everyone talks about. I travel with just a 13" MBA and both the bag and laptop stay firm planted on my back. Then again, I'm not sure what this magnetic feature talking about is. I don't notice it at all.

All in all, if you want an everyday work bag with a plethora of organization features, get the V2. The straps are unreal, and shape sleek and understated. If you want a high capacity travel bag, don't bother with the Nomins. Let me know if you have any questions about what the Nomin can fit. 

4 hours ago, matthewcng said:

I believe it is another fake Veilance listing on ebay. Beware everyone!

lol when you move production of your pants to china and the factory you contracted starts cranking out their own copies pretty much right away

8 hours ago, johngalt said:

Does anyone have any AV layering systems they'd recommend? As easy as it is for me to pair a jacket with pants, I struggle to do much layering. So far I've only liked wearing the Field OS under my Arris.

which outerwear/layers do you have? visually i really like nemis under arris or isogon. graph cardi works well under just about anything, looks best under indisce 3/4. quoin vest is nice under doeln. mionn IS under monitor coat. that sorta thing. a lot of the ecomm and lookbook pics are layered/styled as intended anyway and it usually looks pretty good.

the one unorthodox way i like to layer is conduct anorak under stuff like the indisce 3/4 and field overshirt for that more streetwear hood-under-hoodless-jacket layered look. i prob have posted fits with these layers at some point and i can do it again i just dont wanna spam the thread with my own fits lol

22 hours ago, johngalt said:

I'll be honest. For me, the choice between the V1 and V2 is clear. There are just so many things wrong with the V1. The straps are uncomfortable, pull into your pits, and the ladder lock slips easily. The zippers are cumbersome around corners. The front pouch takes up almost the entire front compartment. The bag collapse on itself and has a terrible sag. I'd get terribly fatigued with just a laptop in it.  The bungee cord can get caught and becomes difficult to fasten. In retrospect, I was never happy with the bag and tried my hardest to like it because it was Veilance. I would buy an Arro 22 or Velaro over the V1 Nomin any day.

@branespload is right. As a high capacity travel bag, the V1 is much better than the V2; however, I would elect to get another bag if you really want a bag to dump stuff. There is very litter organization in the V1. I've never really felt the rattle that everyone talks about. I travel with just a 13" MBA and both the bag and laptop stay firm planted on my back. Then again, I'm not sure what this magnetic feature talking about is. I don't notice it at all.

All in all, if you want an everyday work bag with a plethora of organization features, get the V2. The straps are unreal, and shape sleek and understated. If you want a high capacity travel bag, don't bother with the Nomins. Let me know if you have any questions about what the Nomin can fit. 

I just want to chime in my own personal experience with the V1 & V2 nomin since it's mostly opposite of what you've felt. Disclaimer: I like the nomin V1 much more than V2 but I'll do my best to be unbiased.  

The V1 flaws you've listed I haven't either experienced or I think is actually an advantage. The ladder lock slipping easily I haven't experienced whatsoever and while the V2 excels at keeping the straps fastened it's very uncomfortable tightening the straps and I find the straps too loose even when I tightened it up to the max point. However the straps on the V2 are comfortable especially for heavier loads as it doesn't pull much into the pits. I've experienced difficulties using the zippers in the V2 around the corners rather than the V1. The zippers travel the corner smoothly in my v1 with a simple pull motion however for the V2 i have to guide the zipper around the corner and use more force. I don't know if the zipper on my V2 was faulty or not but my V1 gave a much smoother experienced around the corners. The floating pocket for both v1 and v2 are pretty good except the V2 has a slight advantage with this portion. THE V2 floating pocket is easily implemented with the front loading theme of the V2 (pardon my jargon i might be wrong) and doesn't get in the way while the V1 side loading floating pocket does serve it's intended use as a quick access pocket (i carry cables, keys, eye glass case, calculator, pencil case, or anything that I need to store or take on a whim) it really get in the way of using the front compartment for storage due to its placement and huge size. The V1 does collapse and sag on itself and that's related to how the front compartment was constructed. The front compartment's shape is odd, its structured at the bottom to the midsection while the top section is loosely structured by darts to provide some structure when it's not loaded. This leads to that sag where the top section collapses on itself when it's unloaded. Now I actually like this.. it breaks away from the "Boxy" feel people typically get from this bag and takes up less space when its unloaded but that's just me.  I never saw the front compartment as a primary dump it all storage unit unlike the V2's front compartment but rather as a secondary dump it all unit when the main compartment is full. When loading on the V1's front compartment i like to shove objects with larger volume and odd shapes at the bottom and flatter or lesser volume objects at the top following the asymmetrical like construction of the front compartment. The bungee cord isn't really that hard to fasten or provides that much difficulty I think you exaggerated on that portion, I carry a laptop on the laptop sleeve, a textbook and some notebooks on the compartment ontop of it and I didn't experienced that much difficulty but I did experienced slight resistance from the bungee cord when fastening and that's pretty much it. I haven't felt fatigue in both bags with a laptop inside of it however I felt greater fatigue with the V1 when I'm carrying it using the top handle; the V2's top handle is better. Being a daily commuter often taking the bus and subway the V2 was uncomfortable to place on my lap as it protrudes greatly on any orientation due to it's length. Laying it flat on my lap sideways, along my lap, and even standing upright it felt inconvenient in smaller spaces as it reaches upwards to my bottom lip  The V1 however i could easily place upright on my lap and is right under my chin and placing it sideways doesn't protrude greatly to the other seat. For some people this is a minor inconvenience however for someone like me who takes the bus and train 7 days a week it's a major inconvenience. 

Again I did my best to write this as impartial as possible however i believe some parts came out biased..

Edited by Toilettebun

1 hour ago, Toilettebun said:

I just want to chime in my own personal experience with the V1 & V2 nomin since it's mostly opposite of what you've felt. Disclaimer: I like the nomin V1 much more than V2 but I'll do my best to be unbiased.  

The V1 flaws you've listed I haven't either experienced or I think is actually an advantage. The ladder lock slipping easily I haven't experienced whatsoever and while the V2 excels at keeping the straps fastened it's very uncomfortable tightening the straps and I find the straps too loose even when I tightened it up to the max point. However the straps on the V2 are comfortable especially for heavier loads as it doesn't pull much into the pits. I've experienced difficulties using the zippers in the V2 around the corners rather than the V1. The zippers travel the corner smoothly in my v1 with a simple pull motion however for the V2 i have to guide the zipper around the corner and use more force. I don't know if the zipper on my V2 was faulty or not but my V1 gave a much smoother experienced around the corners. The floating pocket for both v1 and v2 are pretty good except the V2 has a slight advantage with this portion. THE V2 floating pocket is easily implemented with the front loading theme of the V2 (pardon my jargon i might be wrong) and doesn't get in the way while the V1 side loading floating pocket does serve it's intended use as a quick access pocket (i carry cables, keys, eye glass case, calculator, pencil case, or anything that I need to store or take on a whim) it really get in the way of using the front compartment for storage due to its placement and huge size. The V1 does collapse and sag on itself and that's related to how the front compartment was constructed. The front compartment's shape is odd, its structured at the bottom to the midsection while the top section is loosely structured by darts to provide some structure when it's not loaded. This leads to that sag where the top section collapses on itself when it's unloaded. Now I actually like this.. it breaks away from the "Boxy" feel people typically get from this bag and takes up less space when its unloaded but that's just me.  I never saw the front compartment as a primary dump it all storage unit unlike the V2's front compartment but rather as a secondary dump it all unit when the main compartment is full. When loading on the V1's front compartment i like to shove objects with larger volume and odd shapes at the bottom and flatter or lesser volume objects at the top following the asymmetrical like construction of the front compartment. The bungee cord isn't really that hard to fasten or provides that much difficulty I think you exaggerated on that portion, I carry a laptop on the laptop sleeve, a textbook and some notebooks on the compartment ontop of it and I didn't experienced that much difficulty but I did experienced slight resistance from the bungee cord when fastening and that's pretty much it. I haven't felt fatigue in both bags with a laptop inside of it however I felt greater fatigue with the V1 when I'm carrying it using the top handle; the V2's top handle is better. Being a daily commuter often taking the bus and subway the V2 was uncomfortable to place on my lap as it protrudes greatly on any orientation due to it's length. Laying it flat on my lap sideways, along my lap, and even standing upright it felt inconvenient in smaller spaces as it reaches upwards to my bottom lip  The V1 however i could easily place upright on my lap and is right under my chin and placing it sideways doesn't protrude greatly to the other seat. For some people this is a minor inconvenience however for someone like me who takes the bus and train 7 days a week it's a major inconvenience. 

Again I did my best to write this as impartial as possible however i believe some parts came out biased..

Thank you! Very useful to read a review favoring the v1.  Unfortunately it is becoming rather difficult / impossible to find a v1 brand new at this point. Im going to try to keep my eyes out for a nice conditionin v1 on the second hand market. 

If if anyone has a lead on a v1 send them my way!

6 hours ago, matthewcng said:

My thought exactly. More and more fakes are coming out since the beginning of 2017.

I wonder how the bird (or any company really) deals with this on a corporate level. Do they investigate to prove it came from the same factory? do they hit them with a cease and desist but stay with the factory or move to a new factory altogether? Maybe the cost of dealing with it is higher than the cost of whatever problem the existence of fakes introduces and they don't bother dealing with it at all? It makes me curious as hell.

2 hours ago, Inkinsurgent said:

I wonder how the bird (or any company really) deals with this on a corporate level. Do they investigate to prove it came from the same factory? do they hit them with a cease and desist but stay with the factory or move to a new factory altogether? Maybe the cost of dealing with it is higher than the cost of whatever problem the existence of fakes introduces and they don't bother dealing with it at all? It makes me curious as hell.

2 of my good friends (both IP lawyers) worked in LVMH legal department so we talked about this quite a bit. Essentially, the common thinking is the best way to combat counterfeiting is to focus effort on the selling channels (ie. eBay, Taobao, etc) rather than on the the counterfeiters themselves. As long as China continues to turn a blind eye to massive IP fraud and counterfeiting, you have to assume that fakes will be produced one way or another so it's a lot more effective trying to prevent these fakes being imported / sold. So LVMH has an army of (mostly intern) lawyers combing the web and taking down listing of fakes, getting fakes sellers banned, etc. It's time consuming and not terribly efficient, but it's the best that can be done in today's environment.

It's not like no one knows the trade offs of producing in China; you'll get thing done much more efficiently and cheaply, but at the serious risk of losing your IP / manufacturing expertise, trade secrets, etc. Now that Arc'Teryx has moved a lot of production to China, it's unfortunately inevitable that fakes are starting to appear. 

10 hours ago, branespload said:

which outerwear/layers do you have? visually i really like nemis under arris or isogon. graph cardi works well under just about anything, looks best under indisce 3/4. quoin vest is nice under doeln. mionn IS under monitor coat. that sorta thing. a lot of the ecomm and lookbook pics are layered/styled as intended anyway and it usually looks pretty good.

the one unorthodox way i like to layer is conduct anorak under stuff like the indisce 3/4 and field overshirt for that more streetwear hood-under-hoodless-jacket layered look. i prob have posted fits with these layers at some point and i can do it again i just dont wanna spam the thread with my own fits lol

I have the Arris, Partition, Actuator, Field shell, Field OS, Haedn jacket and OS, Isogon terratex, Blazer LT, Galvanic and Frame LS. I know its mostly outerlayers but any recs for pieces I should buy would be welcome. 

I champion utility and am not a fan of the Conduct under other items. Feel free to post new fits or revisit old ones. -

Edited by johngalt

1 hour ago, johngalt said:

I have the Arris, Partition, Actuator, Field shell, Field OS, Haedn jacket and OS, Isogon terratex, Blazer LT, Galvanic and Frame LS. I know its mostly outerlayers but any recs for pieces I should buy would be welcome. 

I champion utility and am not a fan of the Conduct under other items. Feel free to post new fits or revisit old ones. -

The Graph Cardigan has been a big suprise for me, in terms of versatility. It’s slim enough to fit under a lot of stuff (my Mionn vest and jacket, my Achrom...) but warm enough to be worn on its own even in pretty cool conditions. Also looks sharp af.

yup. i really like the visual interest the collar provides, on hooded jackets or notched lapels too. the merino nylon blend on the main body is actually pretty tightly knit too.. does a good job at blocking wind IME

10 hours ago, Kasper said:

So LVMH has an army of (mostly intern) lawyers combing the web and taking down listing of fakes, getting fakes sellers banned, etc. It's time consuming and not terribly efficient, but it's the best that can be done in today's environment.

That's unexpected. I figured companies would have a more... principled stance on the matter. Thanks for the insight!

5 hours ago, junkie_dolphin said:

The Graph Cardigan has been a big suprise for me, in terms of versatility. It’s slim enough to fit under a lot of stuff (my Mionn vest and jacket, my Achrom...) but warm enough to be worn on its own even in pretty cool conditions. Also looks sharp af.

I love it but does anyone feel like the length is a bit inconsistent on the 'graph' line of sweaters/cardigans?

17 hours ago, junkie_dolphin said:

I was interested in the graph but am worried it will be too slim for me. Aside from having pockets, any intel on additional changes? If you can't share publicly, feel free to PM me.

On 10/15/2017 at 3:13 PM, branespload said:

for purely traveling, the v1's 26L might be more useful compared to V2's 18L. you also get a briefcase mode in the V1. if your V2 is packed/stuffed, it might be enough to keep the magnetic flap divider in place so there's no rattling. i haven't had to take my laptop anywhere recently so i havent tested a full pack. maybe @johngalt can chime in

fwiw my last trip to japan i used the v1 and seque tote for luggage duty, then switched to outlier uhqz for edc duty once i got there. as much as i dislike bungee cordage and velcro in the v1, it worked well in the usecase of "just get everything in my bag and stay put, im not going to pull anything out til we get there"

I’ve had some success tightening the pack so the back is flush against my back and it really doesn’t rattle with a 13” MBP.  This is with an otherwise empty bag. It definitely rattles when the straps are looser, though. Ymmv but it’s been working for me

Edited by cbhorsetice

I have mine cinched as tight as it goes so that the excess webbing is flush (as in, not loopy like in some of the photos I had above) and it would rattle sometimes. Just used it with a full bag and there's no rattle at all, though. For traveling, it'd be good. It's actually also very comfortable, almost inconsequential when bearing a load as johngalt mentioned.

field pants:

material is 3L windstopper and has a nice feeling textile outer layer with a similar hand to schoeller dryskin that acr uses for a number of their products.

cobrax sliding button closure is a nice touch and works well in this context. (can't say it works all that well when you're trying to do up or remove a whole placket on the field overshirt --unnecessary and not minimal at all)

construction is decent. i did find a few loose or unfinished threads, but no glaring qc problems. however i must note that over the years of buying veilance i've never seen loose/unfinished threads. this isn't particularly alarming, but for a retail price of 525usd, maybe it should be.

fit is rather slim when sized TTS and also the rise is on the lower end of normal which makes these sit a bit lower than true waist. I'm a TTS 29 and the size 29 pants fit perfectly but perhaps a bit more tight than i've been wearing lately (fit on me is pretty much the way they fit on the veilance fit model, and i'm a very average nerd build 5'7, 135lbs). the fit is not restricting at all because the elastane content in the material. Today i went ahead and also ordered a size up in 30 for comparison.
can anyone speak on whether this synthetic material will stretch out over time?

pocket config is thoughtful. the hand pockets are easily accessed due to shape and cargo and rear pockets are placed nicely. but since the pants fit me like the veilance fit model it leaves a bit of an imprint when stowing any objects (mainly the front hand pockets though). the cargo pockets do have some internal organization which is great too, but i have yet to actually test these irl.

any questions feel free to ask.

ps: some ppl have expressed confusion whether these pants are made in canada or not due various websites saying 'made in canada'. those are errors in copy and can confirm: these are made in china.

3 hours ago, branespload said:

I have mine cinched as tight as it goes so that the excess webbing is flush (as in, not loopy like in some of the photos I had above) and it would rattle sometimes. Just used it with a full bag and there's no rattle at all, though. For traveling, it'd be good. It's actually also very comfortable, almost inconsequential when bearing a load as johngalt mentioned.

would you mind giving me an idea of what you can reasonably put in the v2  vs.  v1 in the context of a 15h flight carry on

I think that even though V1 is 26L, the difference is negligible because the actual usable packing space is better optimized on the V2's main compartment. So much so that I was surprised to even hear that the V2 was smaller in capacity, numbers wise. The front pocket on the V1 is asymmetrical, kinda like a triangular wedge, with a giant floppy rectangle in the middle of it that has no structure. It's kinda hard to pack that efficiently. The V1 will pack a lot more if you tear out the laptop divider, but I imagine you'd be using it so there's little difference there.

Out of curiosity to test the backpack rattle I stuffed the V2 with three shirts, three thick sweaters, a poofy insulator (proton AR), a flattened out tote bag, and my 15" macbook. The front was pretty much at its limit, but I also had the top access dump pocket completely empty.

Currently I’m using the Nomin V1.1 (ripstop outer material). I’m very happy with it.

I use it with the following stuff on my daily commute:

Main compartment including divider: 13” Lenovo in a Neopren sleeve, eagle creek half cube (waterproof) filled with my sport clothes and towel, flattened seque tote, knife and flashlight in flat bonded pocket, sometimes also additional a Apple iPad Pro 12” in Neopren sleeve

Front compartment: wallet, 2 phones, keys, pens, cables, other small stuff

If the Apple iPad is I included the whole bag is very tightly closed, without it it’s perfectly fine

Luckily I have a spare Nomin V1.2 (plain outer material) on stock. 

Edited by droffen

19 hours ago, chris_n said:

field pants:

fit is rather slim when sized TTS and also the rise is on the lower end of normal which makes these sit a bit lower than true waist. I'm a TTS 29 and the size 29 pants fit perfectly but perhaps a bit more tight than i've been wearing lately (fit on me is pretty much the way they fit on the veilance fit model, and i'm a very average nerd build 5'7, 135lbs). the fit is not restricting at all because the elastane content in the material. Today i went ahead and also ordered a size up in 30 for comparison.
can anyone speak on whether this synthetic material will stretch out over time?

any questions feel free to ask

ps: some ppl have expressed confusion whether these pants are made in canada or not due various websites saying 'made in canada'. those are errors in copy and can confirm: these are made in china.

Just got a Peat 30" field pants, 

What I would like to share here is, the sizing in black and peat color is different. Peat is like one inch smaller than the black. This is quite annoying to me because I tried the black 30" in store, it fits me perfectly. Since the peat color is not available in Taiwan so I ordered it from Capsuletoronto. Then after almost 3 weeks long wait, being forwarded from Canada to Taiwan, at the moment I opened the bag, I noticed the waist may not be the same size as the black one I tried in store. 

I still can put it on and okay to walk around for a day, but it's just not that comfortable as black 30", especially when I sit down. Since it has been over 7-10 business days that Capsuletoraonto shipped it. I can only keep it and thinking maybe I shall get another black one from somewhere else...

Another issue I would like to share is, it is shorter than the Indice. I think it is intended to be designed in this way and you can tell from the official website pictures.

And YES, it is made in China. A bit disappointed spending 650CAD then got something made not far away from me. 

2 hours ago, Chiels said:

Just got a Peat 30" field pants, 

What I would like to share here is, the sizing in black and peat color is different. Peat is like one inch smaller than the black. This is quite annoying to me because I tried the black 30" in store, it fits me perfectly. Since the peat color is not available in Taiwan so I ordered it from Capsuletoronto. Then after almost 3 weeks long wait, being forwarded from Canada to Taiwan, at the moment I opened the bag, I noticed the waist may not be the same size as the black one I tried in store. 

I still can put it on and okay to walk around for a day, but it's just not that comfortable as black 30", especially when I sit down. Since it has been over 7-10 business days that Capsuletoraonto shipped it. I can only keep it and thinking maybe I shall get another black one from somewhere else...

Another issue I would like to share is, it is shorter than the Indice. I think it is intended to be designed in this way and you can tell from the official website pictures.

And YES, it is made in China. A bit disappointed spending 650CAD then got something made not far away from me. 

The size discrepancy between colors is really odd and alarming tbh