arcteryx veilance

I was going to return a current season Nomin that I got on sale but after seeing the new version and price I'm going to keep this one.  The greatest feature for me was the side handle and they got rid of it.

4 hours ago, matthewcng said:

Has anyone noticed the price increase season after season.

The nomin backpack is now $980CAD vs originally $550CAD. almost doubled in price. It is harder to justify paying that much for similar pieces from past seasons.

That 2x price increase for reshaping the nomin slightly (no more corners) and removing the sideways compatibility of the nomin is unjustified. I'm surprised at the pricing of the whole haedn line it's a lot more ridiculously priced than I thought; Haedn Overshirt and field pants being the main offenders. Nonetheless the haedn collection looks amazing.

So just being curious, are all the trousers Chinese-made now, even Field Pants? And the rest of production remains in Canada? And is it for the first time ever, Field Jacket is not there for SS and FW?

Was pretty disappointed about some mainline direction change, some of climbing-specific trousers are no longer available in short inseam, probably not a profitable section of their business now.. A lot of mainline 24 collection actually looks not bad, if not for the logo and some details such as buttons.

Edited by damagedroid

1 hour ago, damagedroid said:

So just being curious, are all the trousers Chinese-made now, even Field Pants? And the rest of production remains in Canada? And is it for the first time ever, Field Jacket is not there for SS and FW?

Was pretty disappointed about some mainline direction change, some of climbing-specific trousers are no longer available in short inseam, probably not a profitable section of their business now.. A lot of mainline 24 collection actually looks not bad, if not for the logo and some details such as buttons.

All pants from FW17 onwards are made in China, even Field Pants. Rest of production for FW17 remains in Canada. Come SS18 outerwear with certain textiles (terratex, I believe) will be made in China as well. Field Jacket as a shell is being reworked to make more sense for each season instead of having a tough, middle of the road type of shell. Field LT will have a smoother N40p outer in SS18 (changed from previous Field Jacket shells with that textured outer). Field IS will be the same iirc

re: nomin -- some details you can't really see from the site are that the sliders on the straps are concealed, and the rear compartment where the laptop goes into is also refined. There's a magnetic flap, tablet sleeve, and top dump pouch pocket that can be inverted to create additional main compartment space and still be waterproof-ish. The laptop organizer is still secured by velcro but it's a lot cleaner imo than the old nomin with bungee and snap slider. It makes the sections feel more structured and usable: front compartment is high volume with one pocket for most of your stuff, back pocket is tighter with more internal organization for things you dont want loose (laptop, docs, tablet, cables, etc).

when i think about it, i rarely used the bag in briefcase mode other than just walking in the train station with it that way.. side access to the new nomin shoulds till be good if you have one strap slung and draw under that arm. i do like the new geometry though since i'm a smaller guy. we'll see. the price is still really steep tho

1 hour ago, branespload said:

All pants from FW17 onwards are made in China, even Field Pants. Rest of production for FW17 remains in Canada. Come SS18 outerwear with certain textiles (terratex, I believe) will be made in China as well. Field Jacket as a shell is being reworked to make more sense for each season instead of having a tough, middle of the road type of shell. Field LT will have a smoother N40p outer in SS18 (changed from previous Field Jacket shells with that textured outer). Field IS will be the same iirc

re: nomin -- some details you can't really see from the site are that the sliders on the straps are concealed, and the rear compartment where the laptop goes into is also refined. There's a magnetic flap, tablet sleeve, and top dump pouch pocket that can be inverted to create additional main compartment space and still be waterproof-ish. The laptop organizer is still secured by velcro but it's a lot cleaner imo than the old nomin with bungee and snap slider. It makes the sections feel more structured and usable: front compartment is high volume with one pocket for most of your stuff, back pocket is tighter with more internal organization for things you dont want loose (laptop, docs, tablet, cables, etc).

Thanks branespload, really nice intel! A rework on those classic hardshells is definitely welcome; it would be really exciting to see how they render the textured face fabric of Field Jacket in a lighter form and apply it to Field LT. I have both versions from previous seasons and was gonna sell the LT after getting Field Shirt, but it was just too nice to let go.

As for Nomin, I'm quite surprised that they only show 4 detail photos on the website. I meant there are apparently a lot of thinkings on rework and those 4 pictures are just not enough to do their effort justice (that concealed strap adjustment is only mentioned in texts and shown in an overview image, no close-ups for you to appreciate the craftsmanship or design, what a shame!) I still prefer the old rip-stop pattern though.

Edited by damagedroid

10 hours ago, denpa said:

is sz 29 the same as sz 28? their charts don't list a sz 29 :x

i will look into this for you/myself when trying to track down some field pants, but i dont think its the same as a 28. i was relieved to see in ss18 on many of the pants there are snap buttons a la the current haedn shirt on the waist that can adjust 1" on either side, bringing a 29 to a 27 if cinched symmetrically. so you'll see that on pants without belt loops like the cknit pant (sequent lt) and merino sweats (dyadic comp pant).

Edited by branespload

daaamn ok so i handled the nomin revised and i was mistaken on some of my impressions from the earlier samples, mainly in the laptop compartment part:

1. the documents flap is not magnetic. it just somehow falls closed, super flush, every time lol. it looked like magnetic action but i guess it isn't.

2. there is no laptop tablet sleeve pocket on the document flap divider. idk if it was removed or if i was buggin the first time i handled the sample many months ago

3. it isn't removable, not that i can tell. however, it isn't really bad like the OG nomin. the OG nomin it took up way too much space and i just didnt like it. so even though i cant rip it out of v2, at least i dont feel the need to.

EDIT: just realized im wrong AGAIN. it IS magnetic according to the product page, and idk why i wrote laptop sleeve pocket in bullet 2, i meant tablet sleeve pocket. i think youre supposed to just put a tablet in the documents flap. ive tried a small notebook and a kindle and since those are small, the corner of the doc flap still closes shut

EDIT2: OK, I figured out the part that's magnetic. It's the actual laptop divider, not the document flap. So the rigid part that you slide your laptop into snaps to the outer cushioning thing

Edited by branespload
im dumb

Impulse bought the operand. Feels like a mix between an over-shirt and a dress shirt. Snap buttons throughout, looks like plastic seam-tape throughout. The pockets are weird and voluminous. The fabric is why I bought it, it's like a heathered black in color—I think kevlar is hard to dye.

the operand is the stand out must have for me amongst quite a few great pieces, the melange/heather effect is quite stunning especially in the peat will be getting this although tempted by the black too. @CARLOOA can you comment how comfortable it is to wear, just wondering what it is like with it being mainly polyester?

quite like the subtle improvements on some of the items like the new seque where you can hold it on the ends making it easier to zip open or closed.

the 3 in 1 tab system to attach the liner to the shell on the patrol is very neat, especially that you can tuck them into their own little pockets on the liner is very well considered making the liner look like a proper stand alone jacket.

2 hours ago, scamster said:

the operand is the stand out must have for me amongst quite a few great pieces, the melange/heather effect is quite stunning especially in the peat will be getting this although tempted by the black too. @CARLOOA can you comment how comfortable it is to wear, just wondering what it is like with it being mainly polyester?

quite like the subtle improvements on some of the items like the new seque where you can hold it on the ends making it easier to zip open or closed.

the 3 in 1 tab system to attach the liner to the shell on the patrol is very neat, especially that you can tuck them into their own little pockets on the liner is very well considered making the liner look like a proper stand alone jacket.

Can't comment on comfort temperature-wise. It's about mid 90s in Seattle right now so it's not optimal for this kind of shirt. Fit, it's closer to the component shirt rather than the field shirt. The polyester doesn't seem to have as much give as the field shirt or component since it isn't looser "air-woven polyester" like the field shirt or backed with wool paneling like the component. Regardless, the on-skin feel is quite good. I think what makes the component the best "techwear" shirt is the hybrid composition with the wool back  paneling for temperature regulation, it remains to be seen whether the operand has similar qualities or some other worthwhile application: it's currently advertised under the rain subsection so maybe weather resistance is its calling card? All in all I think it's quite good on fit and the fabric is interesting. For reference, I'm 5'9" 180lbs around 40US/50IT off the rack suit size.

Edited by CARLOOA

thanks for the comments @CARLOOA you're right it is a little early to see comfort wise how the operand will work, although in london we're having quite an inclement summer. guessing it's slightly rain resistant, ok for light showers and imagine quick drying so no discomfort wearing a wet shirt. the component is my favourite shirt, my girlfriends too, she wouldn't mind nicking it off me. have been on the look out more for more but they don't pop up often for good reason. would posit that the component is the best tech wear shirt in terms of function, aesthetically I'm a huge fan but of course this always subjective.

veilance needs to bring the component back!

I have two Veilance Stealth shirts and now an Operand on its way. Maybe will "have" to do a comparison/review video?

Anyways, if the material is as similar as it sounds, they are far too warm for summer, good for fall, still good with a wool baselayer underneath for just about anytime it's cool to cold. (I rather like wearing them with a baselayer underneath as the Poly/Kevlar blend is quite stiff and not entirely comfortable, imo. But, it's quite unique and holds up like anything; mightn't even want to have called it not entirely comfortable, but it is different.)

The Component is much more comfortable, imo, but I'm quite surprised it's held up as well as it has. (Have had two of those for a few years, even in Beijing from summer to winter, where I had to hand-wash them.) Oh, and the Arc' outlet here in Austria has/had some Component shirts (greyish-blue, now mine; might still have some in black).

I wonder about the Field pant. Tempting, but still have the Spec pant from way-back-when and the uses of 3L Gore in a pant are not that many. The cut looks interesting, though. Anode Comp pant is also tempting, but I wonder if the material would hold up well, if the slim fit means I can't fit in anyways, and if the nylon in back doesn't make one's ass get a bit too pronounced :-p

Any thoughts on / experiences with the pants?

youre a runner, right szg? if you have pronounced calves the anode is even more articulated past the knee than the voronoi. its constrcting on me where the voronoi is p loose and i have slender climber calves lol. anode nyco is like apparat nyco i think

50 minutes ago, branespload said:

youre a runner, right szg? if you have pronounced calves the anode is even more articulated past the knee than the voronoi. its constrcting on me where the voronoi is p loose and i have slender climber calves lol. anode nyco is like apparat nyco i think

Oh my, thanks. Then the Anode is definitely out; I can barely wear the nylon summer Voronoi (and love them even so) but cannot fit/move in any other Voronoi. So. Out.

Popped into the PDX store yesterday and they pulled out an Anode Comp from the back (not going on store floors until Sept.?). Beautiful pant and the contrast between the nyco and wool paneling is quite pronounced. Reminded me a bit of saddle pants, but not in a negative way. Was hoping they'd have an Haeden Overshirt for me to try, but alas.

12 minutes ago, keno190 said:

@branespload and anyone that's handled the new iteration of the Nomin pack. Would you recommend the old Nomin vs new? Obviously price is an issue, but was definitely wondering if it's worth the upgrade or to try to find a cheaper used Nomin.

Aside from a couple of basic material similarities it's really an entirely new pack. The newer one is a little rounder—more like a turtle shell than the previous Nomin. Personally I find it slightly less "gimmicky" than the old one, but it's really a matter of personal preference. I recommend handling both before making a decision. There are still old Nomins kicking around at various retailers, and Veilance does free returns, so...

2 hours ago, keno190 said:

@branespload and anyone that's handled the new iteration of the Nomin pack. Would you recommend the old Nomin vs new? Obviously price is an issue, but was definitely wondering if it's worth the upgrade or to try to find a cheaper used Nomin

Hard to say just yet, but I would recommend handling both like junkie said if you can.

Slinging/drawing the old Nomin and accessing it horizontally is easier, but that could be just because I have a couple years of muscle memory with its layout. For packing a lot of stuff and carrying a laptop, the new Nomin wins hands down.

Aesthetically, I prefer the new Nomin. The old Nomin is good but mainly for people who like side entry when drawing the bag under their arm, the briefcase handle thing, and the old silhouette. The newer one is indeed less 'gimmicky,' as imo the floppy internal organizer, asymmetric compartments, overuse of slide snaps/bungee/velcro were what I took issue with in the old Nomin. Those are p much gone now.

48 minutes ago, branespload said:

Hard to say just yet, but I would recommend handling both like junkie said if you can.

Slinging/drawing the old Nomin and accessing it horizontally is easier, but that could be just because I have a couple years of muscle memory with its layout. For packing a lot of stuff and carrying a laptop, the new Nomin wins hands down.

Aesthetically, I prefer the new Nomin. The old Nomin is good but mainly for people who like side entry when drawing the bag under their arm, the briefcase handle thing, and the old silhouette. The newer one is indeed less 'gimmicky,' as imo the floppy internal organizer, asymmetric compartments, overuse of slide snaps/bungee/velcro were what I took issue with in the old Nomin. Those are p much gone now.

Some additional things to note about the new Nomin: it's got slightly more padding on the straps and the adjusters are actually concealed much like all other veilance adjusting hardware. The main compartment is now the back compartment (the furthest back). Like someone else said, the side carry strap is gone and the laptop sleeve is now incorporated into the compartment closest to the back panel with the top portion a smaller dedicated compartment for wallet/keys/etc. I don't know dimensions but the laptop section seems to be able to accommodate less than the 1.0 Nomin. In that respect, Veilance seems to be cleaning up the aesthetic.

For me, it's lost a little bit of character, the new Nomin is sleeker, appears symmetrical, and overall a more cohesive piece, but I think it's not as fun as the older Nomin. I feel it's regressing to the mean. I do not really like Veilance more rounded as their design language is largely geometric, the pronounced paneling was part of what made the Nomin fun, an architectural back piece. I don't want to just look like an all black camel!!

Edited by CARLOOA

6 hours ago, CARLOOA said:

I don't know dimensions but the laptop section seems to be able to accommodate less than the 1.0 Nomin.

This was alluded to by branespload earlier, but the pocket at the top of the laptop compartment is actually fixed to the frame sheet via velcro, and can be detached so that the pocket can be pushed forward, providing more room for a laptop. In other words, laptop capacity is the same or greater than the old Nomin.

A couple of other thoughts about the current season, having handled all the new pieces pretty extensively (except for the Mionn Pullover):

1. Where I am, the star of the season has been the Haedn Jacket. It doesn't look good on me, but if you don't have a skinny neck like mine you'll probably have better luck. My biggest gripe is that the zipper pull has the "Veilance" logo on it, which kills any possibility of CPU-status. On top of that, I keep asking: who is this imaginary guy they're sizing for, with the crazy-wide hips?? The waistbands on both the Nemis and the Haedn Jacket are super-loose on me. Even my wide-hipped bros aren't filling those waistbands out.

2. It may simply be that I've gained weight, but the Mionn IS and the Graph Cardigan both feel significantly slimmer than last year. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has noticed this. One other person I know has mentioned it, but I'm not sure.

3. The Haedn Overshirt might be my favourite new piece. It's incredibly soft, looks great (like a wool chore jacket), and there's some really clever pattern-making going on there, especially around the cuffs. The buttons are blessedly not the slide-locking ones.

4. The Field Pant is getting a lot of love, but man, so swishy.

5. The Seque has had a small change in the form of a pull tab that you can hold onto while zipping/unzipping. This actually improves the usability of the pack considerably; it's a nice reminder that they're actually paying attention to the little details.

6. Wallets were supposed to come next season; not sure why they're here early.

7. The Patrol Down is stupid-warm. Like, debilitatingly warm. I live in a very cold place, and this thing will be too warm. I wish they'd brought back the Patrol IS instead.