arcteryx veilance

8 hours ago, conqueror said:

not veilance, but can anyone suggest a size in the beta SL for someone 6'1/175lb - presumably a M? they have almost zero distribution in australia so I'm gonna have to gamble and order from the states. apparently the cut has changed in the last year or so.

edit: no pit zips? fuck.

Medium should fit you. I'm same height with 15 more pounds and M fits fine in the SL I tried on.

22 hours ago, branespload said:

any reason you're after the SL in particular? cuz tbh dude don't get the beta SL. you don't want paclite, it's like a last resort option for an emergency goretex shell. try to save up and spring for the beta AR if you can. if that's overkill and too expensive, try to find a zeta AR. uses cknit instead of pro and features a storm hood instead of drop hood.

i live in australia so i use a shell like...five times a year. i was happy with my tnf venture (gasp) but ripped it and they seem to have discontinued the colour i like. AR is way overkill for what i want. i had a patagonia torrentshell almost a decade ago, but i tried one on recently and didn't like it. as you can tell, the difference between a 'storm hood' and 'drop hood' doesn't really matter to me, although it looks like the zeta isn't being made anymore anyway.

edit: thanks to whoever suggested the OR foray - might suit be better. i like the 2-way zip but seems to have some QC issues with wetting out.

Edited by conqueror

Re. Align pants (new): Uploading video about newer Voronoi and SS17's Align pants now [Edit: Done. Obviously].

Not sure about the material, but could be good. Cut is still too tapered for a runner's lower legs like mine, can't lift the leg all that well (works with the Voronoi because their nylon has some stretch). Cargo pocket placement makes me seriously doubt the designer's mind (who I just connected with on LinkedIn, oops).

If you just want to see the Align, jump to about halfway in.

Edited by szg
Video uploaded, added

Sweet video, thanks for taking the time to make and share that.

The Align pants are a bit weird to me too, I passed on them also. Im pretty sure the fabric on it is like a stiffer cotton/nylon, if not the same as the top block of Apparats.

Thanks so much for outlining where the internal pockets fall when worn. That's what I suspected, like one being a cargo pocket on the side, and one working as a back pocket. Sure it's silly to sit on something in that pocket, but I don't recommend keeping anything in back pockets for that reason anyway, concealed cargo or traditional external pocket regardless. Its bad for your back, but at least inside a cargo pant your wallet won't fall out or something. 

And yeah the leg won't be articulated as nicely as the voronoi. I think the use case would be for someone who wants a very minimal, high capacity pant with a traditional or timeless fit through the leg instead of something super techy and hardware heavy like an apparat(with its mixed material paneling, short length and hardware).

4 hours ago, labdeal said:

How is the fit of the Align pants on the back? I think they look really weird on the Veilance site. 

Also, they seem to be quite noisy?

Can't speak to noisy, but don't even have much of an issue where that's concerned with those Voronoi (made of nylon). Maybe my O-legs help...

The fit didn't seem bad in back, though I did notice, when I cut the video, that it didn't look quite too good.

3 hours ago, matthewcng said:

Saw a post on grailed, the seller is claiming that Veilance has a new pricing policy on the colour black.

No discount on black will be offered in the future.

https://www.grailed.com/listings/1715329-Arc-Teryx-Veilance-BNWT-Partition

Can anyone confirm this?

Discounted as in employee or outlet? Employee wise they still are discounted as much as everything else no exclusion however I can't disclose how much. Outlet wise can't confirm

he probably means that arc'teryx will ask that retailers exclude non-seasonal colors (black, in this case) from sales. common projects, for example, does the same thing. it prevents high end brands being bought during sale only.

i'm guessing we'll find out soon enough if it's true or just grailed nonsense.

what's up guys I'm looking at the Partition AR and Spere and I would like to get some feedback from you guys about these jackets, I'm not sure which one to go for. I'll just use it for city commuting so Spere being windstopper and partition being 3L goretex doesn't seem to bother me too greatly. I'm more focused on which one is longer and have a better fit

i think spere with the collar up looks sick tbh (as opposed to the notched lapel styling). IIRC spere is more form fitting and looks more futuristic (shaped cuffs, side paneling, and quick access chest pocket). on the other hand partition can look a little boxy, works well with a skate or streetwear type aesthetic. spere is slightly longer.

spere is also more breathable/air permeable, so if you anticipate going from a cold-ish climate to a hot-ish subway car or something you might appreciate the spere more.

if i were to choose between either, i'd personally get the spere especially if you dont need water protection.

2 hours ago, branespload said:

i think spere with the collar up looks sick tbh (as opposed to the notched lapel styling). IIRC spere is more form fitting and looks more futuristic (shaped cuffs, side paneling, and quick access chest pocket). on the other hand partition can look a little boxy, works well with a skate or streetwear type aesthetic. spere is slightly longer.

spere is also more breathable/air permeable, so if you anticipate going from a cold-ish climate to a hot-ish subway car or something you might appreciate the spere more.

if i were to choose between either, i'd personally get the spere especially if you dont need water protection.

Thank branespload and inksurgent for the very informative comparison and detailed post about the 2 jackets and I'll be going with the spere! Glad to hear that taped windstopper is essentially waterproof and that spere is highly breathable. Wouldn't Partition AR be an "anti-fit" jacket as it's a straight boxy cut jacket as opposed to the more detailed fitting spere?

thought i'd share some field overshirt impressions:

- the fabric is dope. it's a very structured canvas-type weave with a slightly stiff hand. i feel like AV could sell the unique visual and tactile qualities of their fabrics better in their copy or photography.

- the fabric weight and boxy cut make it feel more like a jacket than a shirt. def an outerwear piece. you could size up if you want to layer a thin sweat underneath. the term 'overshirt' is very apt as it has a distinctly military feel.

- size is, as always for AV, tts. it is however slightly tight in the shoulders. i'm fairly muscular and at the upper end of a M (wear a size large tees) and an L might have been a little more comfortable but would have an even boxier look.

- not a fan of cobrax snaps on the cuffs - reg snaps would be easier to use.

- something that the pictures don't show well is that you can wear the collar in three positions: regular button up shirt style, military shirt style (folded flat) and up. up gives more of a jacket type silhouette.

9 hours ago, Inkinsurgent said:

- something that the pictures don't show well is that you can wear the collar in three positions: regular button up shirt style, military shirt style (folded flat) and up. up gives more of a jacket type silhouette.

here's a quick snap of the mil shirt style of doing the collar up

field-large.jpg

That's the Ash color in that collar pic, isn't it? In the pics on the Veilance site, I don't like that color at all. Here, I would. Anyone who has the OS in Ash want to chime in on how it looks in daylight?

(Collar shape: Based on experience with similar things, not the OS itself, if you unbutton the uppermost snap, it should fold like that easily, holding the shape on its own. I think.)

5 hours ago, szg said:

That's the Ash color in that collar pic, isn't it? In the pics on the Veilance site, I don't like that color at all. Here, I would. Anyone who has the OS in Ash want to chime in on how it looks in daylight?

(Collar shape: Based on experience with similar things, not the OS itself, if you unbutton the uppermost snap, it should fold like that easily, holding the shape on its own. I think.)

Thanks for the tip on the collar.  I will have to give it a try.  

I have the ash color and I would call it more of a mid-grey.  On my laptop display the picture in this thread has brownish-tones which is not like the ash color in daylight at all.