arcteryx veilance

There are no external back pockets on the Align. Instead, the cargo pocket is placed much higher up and along the outseam/hip area so that its a rear entry, basically emulating a back pocket but behind a zippered pocket. There's also a lot of sub pockets inside the zip compartment. But yeah, think of it more like a back pocket. The apparat is more of a traditional forward entry, lower on the leg cargo pocket. I took some pics of the align a while back but couldn't get the best shot of the layout, hopefully it helps

hi branespload, was hoping you would chime in.

i actually did see the preview pics from the showroom you posted a while back, it was actually what pulled my attention and to keep a lookout for the align in the first place, so thanks!

when you first posted it, i thought it would be near the position of the apparat, just higher up but still side-front placement. but i guess my main concern is, is the entire cargo compartment of the Align strictly restricted to the out seam (side of the leg) like a traditional cargo, or does it extend to the below-butt/hamstring area.

i would imagine it to be difficult to sit down if one puts anything hard or even a mobile phone if it extends even the slightest to the butt/back area

taking another close look at the veilance site, and how the seams at the back run, the pocket seems to be mostly right smack on the buttcheek down to hamstring area.

i personally dislike putting anything in back pockets be it wallet/phone/keys so if this is basically (and physically/functionally) a back pocket but aesthetically redesigned, then ima have to pass. on hindsight, i guess it makes sense that it is functionally different from the Apparat, would be kind of silly to make two similar 'cargo' pants.

Align-Pant-Black-Back-View.jpg

5 hours ago, nictan said:

but i guess my main concern is, is the entire cargo compartment of the Align strictly restricted to the out seam (side of the leg) like a traditional cargo, or does it extend to the below-butt/hamstring area

i didnt get to try these on but when i handled it, they seemed more like a back pocket + additional subpockets using a zipper detail to conceal it all. so it's the veilance answer to "how do i make a super minimal, slim, lightweight summer pant with enough pockets to hold my stuff now that i'm not relying on my outerwear pockets?"

38 minutes ago, Inkinsurgent said:

between the dyadic cardigan and the graph cardigan, is one thicker/warmer than the other? 

graph is much thicker, it's a fw piece. standout differences are..

graph cardi:

1. merino/nylon blend outer in the body, nylon (nyco?) paneling on high abrasion areas with DWR for drizzle resistance (shoulders,elbows etc)
  2. no pockets (!)
  3. higher stand collar to seal wind better

dyadic cardi:

1. the thickest paneling on this sweater is the 'thinner' material on the graph, the MAPP merino/nylon blend. on areas needing higher ventilation (sides, back etc) it uses MAPP superfine merino jersey, which is i think the same 17.5 micron merino fiber material used in the frame tee series. so the cardi is bordering on a reinforced tshirt/baselayer
  2. 2 hidden? hand/side entry pockets with decent storage
  3. lower/wider collar

of the two, i prefer the look of the graph, it looks more like a bomber to me. the dyadic kinda gave me a preppy/school look lol

48 minutes ago, Sureal said:

I wear an M in Veilance outerwear.  Do you think sizing up on the Graph sweater would be problematic? Thanks for any feedback

graph sweater fit so roomy on me going true to size, so i opted for the cardi instead (it fits nice and slim, more flattering on my body type). i'd keep that in mind if you wanted to size up if you're consistently true to size as an M. oh, and im an XS, so i cant speak to sizing down on the graph sweater, sry

Edited by branespload

2 hours ago, Sureal said:

I wear an M in Veilance outerwear.  Do you think sizing up on the Graph sweater would be problematic? Thanks for any feedback

Speaking of sizing......how does the Galvanic IS fit?  I am just under a 38 so that should be a small.  Is the galvanic TTS.  Should I leave some room?  Thanks.

18 hours ago, branespload said:

i didnt get to try these on but when i handled it, they seemed more like a back pocket + additional subpockets using a zipper detail to conceal it all. so it's the veilance answer to "how do i make a super minimal, slim, lightweight summer pant with enough pockets to hold my stuff now that i'm not relying on my outerwear pockets?"

alright, thanks man. apparat it is then haha

8 hours ago, smarquis said:

Speaking of sizing......how does the Galvanic IS fit?  I am just under a 38 so that should be a small.  Is the galvanic TTS.  Should I leave some room?  Thanks.

galvanic is tts for it's purpose, meaning it will accommodate a sweater or blazer underneath. 

On the subject of the Galvanic, was there ever a non IS version? I couldn't see one in the past collections but maybe i missed it. I'm after a decent grey trench with removable hood and that would fit the bill perfectly, but don't need the insulation over the summer.

1 hour ago, Kejan said:

Have you checked out the Partition?  It is similar to the Galvanic, without the hood and insulation. The Peat colour this season is really nice.

Sadly the partition AR  coat fits too short. I find that the galvanic length is perfect for a long coat.

4 hours ago, Dolphinski said:

Thanks dude, that looks like what i'm after, shame they haven't released it for 5-6 years. Seems crazy i can't find a decent plain grey trench with (pref removable of packable) hood anywhere. If anyone knows of one, please drop me a line!

http://www.alphashadows.com/latest-arrivals/poutnik-knight-ventile-coat-charcoal

Hi guys, a quick question: what sort of detergent do you think would be the best to wash the Field Overshirt?

I'm thinking a normal Persil non-bio capsule will do the job since the fabric is made of "air permeable stretch woven / 100% polyester", or do you guys think it's still better to stick with Granger's Performance Wash?

12 minutes ago, damagedroid said:

Hi guys, a quick question: what sort of detergent do you think would be the best to wash the Field Overshirt?

I'm thinking a normal Persil non-bio capsule will do the job since the fabric is made of "air permeable stretch woven / 100% polyester", or do you guys think it's still better to stick with Granger's Performance Wash?

I'd stick with Grangers. 

if you value it's (in all likelyhood limited) water repellency, stick to grangers.

However, grangers is not quite as good at killing poly smell as some regular detergents. i have one of the old stealth shirts that is primarily poly and only normal detergent (incl. the dreaded surface active ingredients that kill dwr) prevents it from developing poly smell.

I'm using Perwoll sport wash (most probably available in Germany only) from Henkel group. 

It works for all of my biking clothing and of course the Veilance stuff and any other artificial fiber.  

So i haven't any smell in any of my clothes. 

From the Minimalissimo interview: " Longevity is something we stand for. Our products are made to last. When we are looking at materials the durability is one of the primary aspects that we test and implement. "

I just asked customer support about the Align pants' material and whether that would be more durable than the cotton/poly used on one of the first Voronoi (which disintegrated after one long flight). And I was told that it should be, but should still be treated with care.

Not sure what to make of that, but had good experiences with Veilance warranty issues. (Would have been too many of those if it weren't so nice to get something else instead, then...)

not veilance, but can anyone suggest a size in the beta SL for someone 6'1/175lb - presumably a M? they have almost zero distribution in australia so I'm gonna have to gamble and order from the states. apparently the cut has changed in the last year or so.

edit: no pit zips? fuck.

Edited by conqueror

any reason you're after the SL in particular? cuz tbh dude don't get the beta SL. you don't want paclite, it's like a last resort option for an emergency goretex shell. try to save up and spring for the beta AR if you can. if that's overkill and too expensive, try to find a zeta AR. uses cknit instead of pro and features a storm hood instead of drop hood.