arcteryx veilance

Was in NYC this past week and stopped by the veilance store, super cool space. They still have the card case and larger wallet (not sure what to call it), but the bifold is sold out except the display one. Asked about the wide release of the leather goods and the saleswoman specifically said that they're aiming for fall 2017 to do that, so hopefully thats true.

Also, I knew that I was probably going to replace my voronoi (first gen AR? circa fall 13) somewhat soon because i've noticed the fabric is pretty much worn through at the bottom of the zipper panel, but putting them on today they had a huge rip in the inner thigh (of course I notice the day after I go to the store without any time to go back). Has anyone else had experience with an issue like this? What are my chances of getting a replacement vs a repair and what is a typical 'nominal charge' mentioned in the returns fine print?

I'd say you have at least a chance at a replacement. I had a pair of voronois replaced after the nyco wore through, albeit they were only 1.5 years old. Really depends on whether they decide it's wear and tear or premature wear. 

You might benefit from the fact that, if I recall correctly from my claim, there is a known issue with the durability of the fabric used on the older voronois.

edit: forgot the link - http://www.arcteryx.com/warranty.aspx?country=us&language=en

Edited by tv_ice

How is the fit, material, thickness of insulation?

Ich have the Nemis, Arris and Mionn IS jackets.

Is it a mixture of these 3?

How is the thickness and material compared to Field IS & Node Down.

Anything else you observed (good or bad) since your posted the pictures?

Edited by droffen

Great questions. I have those pieces too so I can frame them in that context.

So the fit is similar to the Arris in how it's shorter with geometric cutouts at the hem and sleeves. The insulation is an 80gsm Coreloft in the body and 60gsm in the sleeves, very similar to the Mionn IS. It's also similar to the Arris in that it uses GORE C-Knit. So in a way, it's like having a Mionn IS Jacket combined with a C-knit shell. It's not really similar to the Nemis, maaaybe in the way the top is cut but the materials are so different it doesn't really translate well. The Achrom is a very nicely structured piece, I love it as I have broader chest/shoulders for my frame so it makes me look really strong compared to some of the longer, drapey-er silhouettes.

The thickness of the material, I'm assuming you mean the coreloft insulation, is closer to the Field IS (that's a 150gsm fill). I have the Node and the Node is significantly/noticeably bulkier in volume compared to the Achrom.

Only thing I'd say is be careful of washing/drying it, it's tricky for me to get insulated pieces dried properly and get them nice and lofty again. I also really like the way the jacket looks when unzipped, and drying it kinda warps the zipper so it's not as clean. Also, when fully zipped up, the front of the jacket kinda flares forward and the back hem hugs your butt so it makes you look a little chubby or something when you aren't. Otherwise, it's great. The C-knit really makes it so comfortable and all the geometric cutouts really encourage mobility and comfort too. This and the Indisce 3/4 are probably my favorite from this season..

So the fit is similar to the Arris in how it's shorter with geometric cutouts at the hem and sleeves. The insulation is an 80gsm Coreloft in the body and 60gsm in the sleeves, very similar to the Mionn IS. It's also similar to the Arris in that it uses GORE C-Knit. So in a way, it's like having a Mionn IS Jacket combined with a C-knit shell. It's not really similar to the Nemis, maaaybe in the way the top is cut but the materials are so different it doesn't really translate well. The Achrom is a very nicely structured piece, I love it as I have broader chest/shoulders for my frame so it makes me look really strong compared to some of the longer, drapey-er silhouettes.

The thickness of the material, I'm assuming you mean the coreloft insulation, is closer to the Field IS (that's a 150gsm fill). I have the Node and the Node is significantly/noticeably bulkier in volume compared to the Achrom.

Only thing I'd say is be careful of washing/drying it, it's tricky for me to get insulated pieces dried properly and get them nice and lofty again. I also really like the way the jacket looks when unzipped, and drying it kinda warps the zipper so it's not as clean. Also, when fully zipped up, the front of the jacket kinda flares forward and the back hem hugs your butt so it makes you look a little chubby or something when you aren't. Otherwise, it's great. The C-knit really makes it so comfortable and all the geometric cutouts really encourage mobility and comfort too. This and the Indisce 3/4 are probably my favorite from this season..

What's the current line of thinking around maintaining loft in a synthetic down jacket like that? I haven't washed any of the Veilance coreloft pieces yet but, if I'm right in assuming, the insulation is made up of continuous pieces as opposed to down-style which would need breaking up and you could use the drying balls like in a grangers down kit (which would actually require the breaking up of clumps). I've washed primaloft/climashield with those regardless and it seems to help a bit by bashing it around I guess. Can you share some more regarding experience in washing/drying the Achrom and how the loft was affected based on your techniques? Thanks

What's the current line of thinking around maintaining loft in a synthetic down jacket like that? I haven't washed any of the Veilance coreloft pieces yet but, if I'm right in assuming, the insulation is made up of continuous pieces as opposed to down-style which would need breaking up and you could use the drying balls like in a grangers down kit (which would actually require the breaking up of clumps). I've washed primaloft/climashield with those regardless and it seems to help a bit by bashing it around I guess. Can you share some more regarding experience in washing/drying the Achrom and how the loft was affected based on your techniques? Thanks

nah sorry if my original post made it sound like coreloft is inherently prone to losing loft after a wash -- that's not the case. but since it was my first time washing it, in hindsight I should've done a better job of pressing out water that bunches up in the sleeves/cuffs with a towel to help it dry more evenly. just like, press out excess water that's hidden in the sleeves with a clean, dry towel, then fluff it up again before tossing it in the dryer.

with the down pieces, that's a lot more labor intensive to get it perfect. dryer balls, low and slow for many hours, occasionally breaking up down feather clumps, etc. like frankie said above, use a tech performance wash, and i'd also add to rinse it again or run it through the wash without soap to free all the residue from the initial wash..

Thank you very much.

This helps a lot.

it was briefly discussed a few pages back. to me it's absolutely peak veilance. i totally get the idea of making the core veilance look of the field jacket applicable to more settings.

i hope the fabric has a sturdy, overshirt-like drape.

No, the sample pieces were all size M. I'm an XS so didn't get to try them on. some of this info is relayed from other ppls experiences in the store or just speaking off looking at its design, sorry if that wasn't clear

I went to the NYC Veilance store recently while wearing an Outlier Ultrafine merino t-shirt. I have to say if price was no object, I would take the Veilance piece every single time. At almost twice the cost of something that already seems a little ridiculously priced, it's pretty hard to justify though.