arcteryx veilance

I am looking for an overcoat for some events with non predictable weather conditions.....and I cannot decide between the Monitor and the Partition coat. What would you recommend?

I do like the Monitor coat over the Partition, because of the easy stow away option and the hood. It also has some sporty look than the Partition. 

really it depends how you want to look and what weather you are expecting to need protection from, both are water proof, the partition being gore tex active shell and the Monitor being Pro Shell, from a spec perspective the Monitor is the front runner,and in more extreme weather and in to fall with the right layering it is a fully transitional style and designed as such, the full hood if you are expecting to be out for long periods in rain is again a benefit  as it is just easier than the stow hood on the partition which is fine for when you need it, but its as constructed as the monitor hood.

The real pro of the partition is style, if you need to or want to look smart in the situation you are expecting to wear the jacket most then the partition has that classic styling along with the benefits of being waterproof and breathable.

I would have answered :

The real pro of the partition is style, if you need to or want to look smart in the situation you are expecting to wear the jacket most then the partition has that classic styling along with the benefits of being waterproof and breathable.

Because of :

I am looking for an overcoat for some events with non predictable weather conditions.....and I cannot decide between the Monitor and the Partition coat. What would you recommend?

But if it's less work and more play.. Go get the Monitor..

any comment on the advice? Maybe it's more versatile for over a suit and I have to say sepie looks great, too. Plus it's on sale at different online shops.

Sorry, I was in a hurry. As you said, it's more versatile for formal / smarter city business look and I like the compactness and overall properties of the Gore-tex Active. If you like Monitor better I would advise to wait for the fleece lined Monitor or Patrol coat (with removable insulation liner) in A/W collection.

I'm underwhelmed. I am looking forward to seeing the accessories.

On another note, I'd like to move the following:

Survey Jacket, Medium, Black, NEW

Align Jacket, Medium, Ordessa Green, worn a handful of times, excellent condition

Subset Jacket, Medium, NEW

I'm moving, so I won't be to difficult to deal with.

None, unless they are very heavy hiking backpacks. 

BTW, anyone have any experience with Arc'teryx Switchblade bag? 

Edited by Brainboy

BTW, anyone have any experience with Arc'teryx Switchblade bag? 

What do you want to know about the switchblade?  We have them at my work so I can answer any questions you might have?

• 2 weeks later...

Jeez, how can an upscale store like Barney's get away with demented descriptions like that? Not to mention super grainy photos. 

Product details are confusing and inaccurate, for example, Field jacket material is descibed only as nylon, no word on Gore-tex anywhere. Both Insulated Field jacket and the vest are listed as down lined while it's actually a synthetic loft...

Jeez, how can an upscale store like Barney's get away with demented descriptions like that? Not to mention super grainy photos. 

Product details are confusing and inaccurate, for example, Field jacket material is descibed only as nylon, no word on Gore-tex anywhere. Both Insulated Field jacket and the vest are listed as down lined while it's actually a synthetic loft..

I would have to agree with you, although, Arc'teryx climbing gear is experimenting with down this season (this is the first year Arc'teryx has done this). I am curious if any of the new insulated pieces for Veilance FW 2013 will have this. I personally do not care much for down because of its vulnerability to moisture, but I heard arc'teryx is placing a fabric placed strategically in between the goretex and down to protect the down from getting wet while still letting moisture out preventing condensation buildup. Really neat.

Edited by VivaceKinetics

I would have to agree with you, although, Arc'teryx climbing gear is experimenting with down this season (this is the first year Arc'teryx has done this). I am curious if any of the new insulated pieces for Veilance FW 2013 will have this. I personally do not care much for down because of its vulnerability to moisture, but I heard arc'teryx is placing a fabric placed strategically in between the goretex and down to protect the down from getting wet while still letting moisture out preventing condensation buildup. Really neat.

The new Arcteryx down looks really nice.  I haven't handled it yet but just read through the catalog.  The higher end down pieces are body mapped with coreloft (synthetic) but the down pockets are then wrapped in coreloft to help it move condensation and push away moisture.  Seems like a really neat concept especially since it's paired with Gore.  Their basic down jacket is only retailing for $280 but they have a down white line piece and a longer 24 coat which are up around $1,000. 

That being said, I just ordered a Haedn blazer and Graph sweater!  Can't wait for them to get here in a couple of weeks.

Yes, I know. But I'm pretty sure there is no down used in Veilance line this year, which is fine by me.

Does anyone recall seeing the new Barney arrivals in the leaked vimeo videos?! Seems a bit odd that they are an entirely different selection from what 290sqm has up and what seemed to be the focus of the Veilance Fall campaign...