Can you EVER get close to a vintage jean?

Paul T

Partytaco made a really interesting point recently on the LVC thread.

great fades for sure but they just lack that grainy look/texture that makes the 50's denim so cool. Look at the Marvin's site and take a look at all the late 40's/early 50's pairs and look at the areas that typically don't receive alot of wear like the lower leg and compare that with a similarly worn LVC piece from 47 or 55.

What is the answer?

Personally, I think some of my LVC are damen close to a vintage jean. My Lees, too. But there are so many problems comparing the two. For instance, my first pair of 47 looked very vintage... but I sold them when they wer e10 months old - modern jeans don't really get the longterm wear, especially from us, we are always looking at the nex pair Also, we are looking at SUCH a wide range of originals, each on of which is unique, and we tend to memorise the good ones and forget the bad ones.

Also,I think looking at photos, like at Marvins, is almost totally useless as far as comparing finishes.

These are some of my curent jeans, sorry for reposting, but they\re the most accurate for colour. Look at the 50s jeans on the right. (photobucket seem to mess up some of my photos, there's a much more accurate version of the 55 here, http://www.trynka.net/Site/501%201955.html)

47vs55.jpg

And these are a pair of early, mid 60s originals that passed thru my hands recently:

frontcrop.jpg

SO, what's your opinion? Can you get close to a vintage jean? DO you have photos of vintage jeans that have never been equalled? Or have you seen photos of modern repros that have that indefinable vintage look? And do you have any opinions on why/why not modern repros do/do not match up to vintage originals?

I'm no expert on vintages fades but I guess the very fact that the fabric and indigo has been lying around for over 50 years regardless of wear has to have some effect on the way the fades and denim look. That is something that can't be reproduced.

Or am I just barking up the wrong tree here?

I guess the raw materials used at the time were different. Even if the machines used are the same, this must have a consequence on the product and its evolution over time and wear. Today's coton and coton at this time must be pretty different and react differently. I guess coton, 50 years ago, was more resistant and maybe it had an influence on the speed of fading, what gave to it a less contrasty appearence.

I think Fresco must be wright to. The fact that the pair of jeans has been lying for year, light, dust, even air, must have had an effect on the jeans.

But all of it is just supposition.