Architecture

superdupersang

i would like to say your understanding of design does change once you study ,understand and are exposed great architecture. This is why at my school we visit great architecture and have case studies, once you absorb it, your palette for design becomes larger.

i must disagree, first if you call architecture art, you are wrong, architecture is architecture, and art is art.

art exist for no other reason then to exist for itself and serves no other purpose, so therefore anyone can judge art. Art is about revealing emotion or to appeal to a sense. Architecture is so much more then this.

Architecture is so much more complex.

you need a little bit of expertise to fully understand true beauty in the concept of form and the logic of space.

Anybody can say ya, that looks beautiful. but very few and truly understand why its beautiful.

architecture is not art, there are aspects of art in architecture, but if anyone is looking at a building with this singular aspect taken into account, they are already ignorant and therefore have bad taste.

neways...

the new building which will hold the arcopllis site

new-acropolis-museum-by-bernard-tschumi-architects-squ-cr3849-090-small.jpg

acropolis10-sq.jpg

I am glad this is getting some publicity here.

My good friend's father (Bernard Tschumi) is responsible for this.

• 4 months later...
Love Rem Coolhaus [sic]...Preston Scott-Cohen...

This makes me curious to see your fathers work.

mine is yokohoma ferry terminal, even though i havent been there, it just looks cool.

I've not visited either, but I did meet Farshid Moussavi about a year after they'd won the competition. She was pretty hot (for an architect).

Their winning entry at the time was very pie-in-the-sky.

that new morphosis in texas is quite beautiful.

i think tom is still design what he believes in.

to him his building does not need to be beautiful as long as it serves its purpose.

theres nothing generic about there designs, just because they dont look like spaceships doesnt make it any less fantastic

They used to build such fantastic models. Now their models are rather generic.

As much as I love their old paint-splattered chipboard stuff, when you're going to sink $50~$100K into a model, it also kinda has to be appropriate for design review, planning commission, fundraising, etc. Occasionally review boards will stipulate color, material for physical models.

such is the difference in paper vs. real architecture.

Analog - here's my dad's firm's site. Not very recent, and it's hard to say how relevant the information on my dad's specific work is on there, but http://www.gwgarchitects.com/

I could identify them if I took the time to go through the whole site. His style is his own compared to his other partners/the other architects in the firm.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
thought i'd post some stuff in my city:

casa da musica:

casadamusica_arch2.jpg

vodafone porto: (couldn't find any non-rendered pics that showed the building properly, but from driving by i think it's finished by now)

3C8B341497BD438E8166B592DE6B3846.jpg

sandcrawler.jpg

The first thing I thought of when I saw this lol

• 1 month later...

Though I personally find the Richard Meier led proposal the overwhelming worst I'd agree that the Libeskind design is pretty obnoxious. Especially from street level. Actually the only aspect I like is the voids they created out of the footprints of the towers... but I'm not sure about the the cascading waterfall aspect, might have been more powerful to actually leave them unfinished as some kind of actual loss.

If I had to pick from the options as they existed I think I was most drawn to the SOM/SANAA proposal, (though I think they withdrew, no?)

^ While I would mostly consider the above 'vernacular' and not Architecture with a capital A, I would LOVE to know the story behind that off placed window in the third shot. I will give the benefit of doubt and assume it's intentional, but it looks like it could be one of those contractor horror stories we all have.