Architecture

superdupersang

I can't summon the reserves to find the post but for the gent enquiring about the application of freight container you could look at a UK based company called Urban Space who we had in my mag last year. They've got a lot of experience reconditioning the shells as either standalones or blocks - I believe there's quite a few of its builds in London.

Here's the link - www.containercity.com

not sure abt general books on modern japanese architecture. i know books specific on japanese architects are great books.

Tadao Ando - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tadao-Ando-Philip-Jodidio/dp/3822821640/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196943147&sr=1-5

fat ass a3 book weighs a ton (it like the same size as the Phaidon atlas), but its a ton of awesome shit by ando, mainly with concrete though.

Kengo Kuma -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kengo-Kuma-Selected-Botond-Bognar/dp/1568984685/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196943260&sr=1-1

love kengo kuma's work. theres a newer book than this but havent seen it in person.

books on sejima (SANAA) are probably great as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also interested in hearing some reccommendations on good architecture books (not necessarily on Japanese architecture, but I'm open to suggestions).

Some books I've enjoyed include:

- Architecture of Happiness, Alain de Botton

- 101 Things I Learned in Architecture School, Matthew Frederick

- Leaves of Iron: Glenn Murcutt, Philip Drew

Come to think of it, those are really the only books I've read on architecture. Please, suggest some for me to look into (I'm a second year undergraduate).

I might bump this thread. Some interesting thoughts have gone unexplored.

Whilst we're on the topic of architecture reads, what are your favorite magazines?

I'm enjoying Monument (Australian) and Wallpaper* (not isolated to Architecture, also explore interiors, fashion, etc.) at the moment.

My interests lie specifically in skyscrapers and highrises.

Anyone else?

Any thoughts on CCTV HQ, Beijing? The bridge was connected like 2 weeks ago. It's apparently gonna be the 2nd biggest building in the world after the Pentagon.

SWFC? Burj Dubai?

Am I alone on this?

I was subscribed to Azure for two years. I enjoyed it a lot.

Oh sweet, another publication that broadens its content beyond a single (design) discipline. Thats why I think I'm so attracted to Wallpaper* - the multi-faceted approach.

Will definitely pick up a copy of Azure when I'm next at the newsagent and see if its worth subscribing to. Any other mags that cover a range of design disciplines.. art/archi/interior/fashion/graphics/industrial/etc?

Oh sweet, another publication that broadens its content beyond a single (design) discipline. Thats why I think I'm so attracted to Wallpaper* - the multi-faceted approach.

Will definitely pick up a copy of Azure when I'm next at the newsagent and see if its worth subscribing to. Any other mags that cover a range of design disciplines.. art/archi/interior/fashion/graphics/industrial/etc?

yep. Surface: http://www.surfacemag.com/index.html

i may know of more. i'll check next time i go to the bathroom :P

Please recommend few books on modern japanese architecture, more like lookbooks - exterior, interior or whtvr

Prefferably with links on amazon

Thanks

These are a few books at the top of my head which you may find useful.

Tadao Ando: The Colours of Light (Hardcover) by Tadao Ando

Ando: Modern Minimalism with a Japanese Touch (Basic Architecture Series) (Paperback) by Tadao Ando

These aren't specific in regards to Modern Japanese Architecture, but they make a good read if you're interested.

In Praise of Shadows (Vintage Classics) by Jun'ichiro Tanizaki

The Eyes of the Skin: Architecture and the Senses (Paperback) by Juhani Pallasmaa

A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction (Center for Environmental Structure Series) by Christopher Alexander

Lessons for Students in Architecture by Herman Hertzberger

Studies in Tectonic Culture: The Poetics of Construction in Nineteenth and Twentieth Century Architecture by Kenneth Frampton

Building Skins (In Detail) by Christian Schittich

In Detail: Building Simply (In Detail) by Christian Schittich

Analysing Architecture by Simon Unwin

try looking at El Croquis.

they are reallllly good.

they generally show snaps of interior and exteriors as well as plans, sections and sometime elevations.

they also have very insightful interviews with the architect at the beginning.

try looking at El Croquis.

they are reallllly good.

they generally show snaps of interior and exteriors as well as plans, sections and sometime elevations.

they also have very insightful interviews with the architect at the beginning.

El Croquis is a magazine-type publication, no?

Quite expensive as well, I think?

Yeah, and generally specific to a certain designer/firm.

JA is prolly cheaper and got a wider range of ish.

yeah, it is quite expensive...but the price is much better if you can get it from Spain (which is where i believe they come from), where they are about 60 euros....

they enerally sell for around 200 in Sydney.

and yes, they are firm/designer specific....but if you you are after something more specific, i think they are really worth it!

• 5 months later...
macbook pro via fusion. most powerful laptop for these apps out even better then autocad on a window's machine. YEA I SAID IT! haha

via fusion? is this like bootcamp?

I'm sorta at a cross-roads here. My old toshiba laptop is on its last legs - looking to invest in a new laptop. A 17" Macbook Pro, on paper, appears to be my best option. However, there is one slight (read:huge) flaw - I do most a great deal of my work on Autodesk programs.

From what I can tell, I am confident of the Macbook's ability to run Autocad or 3Ds through bootcamp or similar. My main concern is efficient workflow between OSs. For example, working to produce 2D drawings in Autocad (in Windows/Bootcamp), then wanting to quickly access those files in Illustrator / Photoshop (presumably run in Mac). I'm sure something as simple as that may not pose a great hindrance, but what about multiple large project files, that are constantly updated & edited, etc. Or dwg exports from Mac Sketchup into Windows Autocad, etc. etc. Just how intuitive / quick is it to share files between operating systems?

(I have limited experience on Mac and none with bootcamp/parallels, so please correct me if my assumptions are wrong.)

I guess I find myself questioning if it would be easier to just buy a PC. That way I wouldn't have my programs split between two operating systems.

Any input would be appreciated.

i am currently running all arc programs on a mac... and right now its working great. parallels has a share folder were you can drag and drop files and programs from one os to another seamlessly... it works great! ADOBE stuff on MAC and AUTODESK/ SKETCH UP on windows. one problem i found with parallels is that the cursors sometiems splits ( its weird) but basically when im running autocad i would see two cursor one is from the mac side and the other would be the cross hairs of autocad...

other then that i cant complain BOOT camp on the other hand is basically a WINDOWS MACHINE