Architecture

superdupersang

was that to me?

i said that i draw...traditional drafting=pen+paper+ideas.

huh? not talking about you, general sense.

Also i use a mac, and use autocad on it and i can say from experience my mac is much more reliable then any windows machine with autocad. Much less crashes and faster processing

traditional drafting will pull you away from being a cad monkey. haha so get your head out of the computer and learn to draw

Once you get outta school, not too much is gonna save you from being a cad monkey intern.

I whole-heartedly endorse the 'learn to draw' quip tho. Mayline and my Rapidographs ftw.

HELL TATS what i am. but i know photoshop fairly well and i am a pretty good handdrafts man/ render, so i get to do color rendering. Anyone can be a cad monkey not everyone can draw and design.

yeah there is definitely a certain quality that a computer can never replicate in hand drawings.

but which employer is going to have you do that? when you're at work the last thing you're doing in your free time is drafting and rendering for kicks (by hand).

yes autocad + 3ds/ rhino = over.

actually at my firm i work at we use watercolors,pastels, and markers for our concept/presentation boards. Our cilents like that and usually buy the concept after for quite a bit of money.

also. i am the vice president for my schools ASLA. I keep hearing from professionals, and professors. how students are lacking the ability to draw, and render and more emphasis should be placed on traditional skills.

i know but you shouldn't mix education and practice. its so different. presentation is one thing, but engineers dont want to see your hand drawings. everything technical is done in computer for ease of editing.

i like hand finished drawings. lewis tsurumaki lewis for example do great presentations by hand. it's just offices want people with skills more these days. its just how they expect one to work. ability to draw doesnt mean it gets used in the final product much.

you sound like a cooper union student =)

hahaha-

LTL kills, but seriously, the only firms doing watercolor/pastel renderings are the ones marketing shitty urban planning designs to the suburbs.

Anyone balls enough to say who they work for?

you sound like someone who doesnt enjoy or cant design... most every big firm i know uses watercolor/pastels. edaw, swa to name a few. Uses watercolors/pastel for at less some of there peices. Sorry only the shitty firms which cant afford to hirer people with skills in rendering, outsource there rendering to architectural renders.

only generic firms use pure computer rendering. sorry its true. Even frank gehry doesnt use autocad. I also feel that the older firms try to carry on this lost art form and use hand rendering and the art of pastels.

The first thing we learn at our school was to never design on the computer, always use a pen and paper.

i work for a firm who does watercolor and pastels.

PS. i worked for a architectural firm. and now i am working for a landscape architectural firm.

then again. i am an idealist student who has that architect's ego.

Did I say anything about 'pure computer rendering'? Dun think so. GP uses PLENTY of Autocad. Somebody's gotta translate Digital Project to the rest of us-

I'm not against watercolor and pastels, but don't pretend you're working for a big name when it's obvious you're not.

I enjoy and can design.

SCI_Arc 06<

www.jonespartners.com

Did I say anything about 'pure computer rendering'? Dun think so. GP uses PLENTY of Autocad. Somebody's gotta translate Digital Project to the rest of us-

I'm not against watercolor and pastels, but don't pretend you're working for a big name when it's obvious you're not.

I enjoy and can design.

SCI_Arc 06<

www.jonespartners.com

you are so right... actually i didnt work at a a big firm, im only a intern.

dont think big. think one of the biggest.

i see that architects ego coming out. i didnt have to show you were i work. but if you must kno.

internships over course of schooling.

www.swagroup.com

www.nuvis.net

sci arc huh? my friend wants to go there. i told him why do you wanna study in a warehouse. Dont get me wrong though sciarc does produce some dope architects.

done with this. whos penis is better shit.

if you want to discussion actual skills in autocad, rendering, hand drafting. then cool otherwise PEAACE

vuong you just completely lost your cool lol? actually who you work for doenst really concern me. i'm still curious what education you're going through to develop your agressive affinity for hand done stuff, old school style.

i dont know whether or not gehry uses autocad specifically, but if they're running parametrics there's no reason to go through autocad right?

you're a landscape architect i dont doubt that you need to use pastels and watercolour. you're not building as much structure as an architect. its not fair to compare the presentation methods of a landscape architecture office and an architecture firm.

you are so right... actually i didnt work at a a big firm, im only a intern.

dont think big. think one of the biggest.

i see that architects ego coming out. i didnt have to show you were i work. but if you must kno.

internships over course of schooling.

www.swagroup.com

www.nuvis.net

sci arc huh? my friend wants to go there. i told him why do you wanna study in a warehouse. Dont get me wrong though sciarc does produce some dope architects.

done with this. whos penis is better shit.

if you want to discussion actual skills in autocad, rendering, hand drafting. then cool otherwise PEAACE

what? haha landscape architects use watercolors and pastels. I am mastering in architecture actually. undergrad (LA)

My affinity towards, old shcool handdrafts comes to the point where. design turns from art into geneic bull, where any 2 yr drafting school can teach you how to use autocad, better they any architectural school can teach you.

architects and landscape architects anything in the that field. we are all artist, to the simplist sense.

landscape architects emphasis the use of desgin, we understand what makes people comfortable. Landscape architects tend to emphasis Handgraphics because they are warmer, more human, like the materials we use. Architecture tends to be more cold.

This is what influences me to use handgraphics my education in both landscape arc. and architecture. I use whats best from both worlds.

what? haha landscape architects use watercolors and pastels. I am mastering in architecture actually. undergrad (LA)
Landscape architects tend to emphasis Handgraphics because they are warmer, more human, like the materials we use.

1) you insisted that the big firms you work for often use pastels/ watercolours for posters. i'm saying that its not a legitimate point because the big firms you mentioned aren't actually architecture firms, regardless of your training. the way they present, no matter how big they are, do not represent the trend in architecture firms.

2) you have the luxury to do these hand drawn drawings because things aren't as set as architecture. i think those warmer materials you mentioned are generally less critical to engineering changes. the structural loads in 'colder materials' we have to deal with have to be cross checked by engineers. autocad is therefore preferred to make easy changes throughout. lets be real, no office is going to prefer u using photo transfers for their official documents. you have deadlines to meet. besides, photoshop/ 3ds trees suck.

yea i never said that firms prefer photo xfers, handdrawing over autocad. of course they prefer autocad, I go threw hell everytime a arcitect comes in with a handdrafted plan and i have to change it to autocad. that shit is bull. hahaha. But my profolio is mainly handdraft stuff with autocad. Its more impressive at less to me. I get a kick when the interview ask me how did i do this in autocad, and i tell them i did it by hand.

Its true landscape arc firms do treat work diffrent from a arc firm. You'd be surpised how much engineering goes into placing a tree. haha

also i do have experience in arc. that is my passion, landscape architect is my love.

also every firm that does do presentations doesnt have autoccad has there finish prelim,concept board for the cilent, they outsource to finish up by giving it to a architectural render.

1. Gehry uses the Digital Project shell over the parametric modeler Catia for as much modeling/design/cd ish that they can. On larger projects they try an get their GC to use Digital Project as well, and basically produce a digital CD set offa the Digital Project model. On smaller projects this is largely unfeasable, and thus Autocad is still used quite a bit in the office to refine details/produce CD sets, etc....

2. The website is supposed to be tricky and discouraging. We get hate mail for that shit.

VuONG-

I did see that model you posted in the other thread. Pretty nice. You know Form:uLA?

'also every firm that does do presentations doesnt have autoccad has there finish prelim,concept board for the cilent, they outsource to finish up by giving it to a architectural render.'

If I'm reading this correctly, you think every firm that does presentations, outsources?

thank you appleseed. Form ula i have heard of them. pretty dope. your firm does the arcitecture i love. Raw materials, dopeness. Are you guys LEED ccertifiederfied? I wanna get LEED certified.

nah i dont all outsource. i think most do though. At less your the crazu percetives and stuff

To all the budding architects i'll say this to you. Work at a small firm first because that's where you'll get most of your experience. Big firms don't really teach you as much and you'll never be as hands on like in a small firm. At a small firm you'll get you hands wet with everything in the field.

interesting discussion

by the looks of things, i need to dust off my autocad cobwebs, get into autodesk viz for modelling / rendering, and get back to the drawing board (in the literal sense!). In addition to illustrator and photoshop for presentation issues

whilst we're on the topic of programs, what systems are you guys running these on?

i'm working for a small firm right now and i only got here 2 months ago. the people who seem most valued have come from SOM and KPF. the experience they have in the more technical aspects of large scale projects (skyscrapers, retail malls etc) are much more in depth than any of the other people i work with.

they're like neufert trapped in a human body.

interesting discussion

by the looks of things, i need to dust off my autocad cobwebs, get into autodesk viz for modelling / rendering, and get back to the drawing board (in the literal sense!). In addition to illustrator and photoshop for presentation issues

whilst we're on the topic of programs, what systems are you guys running these on?

macbook pro via fusion. most powerful laptop for these apps out even better then autocad on a window's machine. YEA I SAID IT! haha

I was wondering if you folks can help answer an extremely noob-ish question (please don't flame) -

I've got a couple of blueprints / drawings for a commercial project in DWG format. I basically need to print out the files, and was wondering if I can do so without having to go to a draftsmen. Places like Kinko's don't print out DWG files, so would anyone happen to know any other reasonably cheap places that I check out?

I was wondering if you folks can help answer an extremely noob-ish question (please don't flame) -

I've got a couple of blueprints / drawings for a commercial project in DWG format. I basically need to print out the files, and was wondering if I can do so without having to go to a draftsmen. Places like Kinko's don't print out DWG files, so would anyone happen to know any other reasonably cheap places that I check out?

cr printing. Depends were you are from are you so cal?

Another option you have is if you do have atuocad 06 or if you dont. you can use dl bluebeam theres a trail version for 30 days where you can convert to "PDF" and then you can print almost anywhere.

How you do that in autocad 06+ is go to the printer option and then where you choose to print choose print to pdf. and their you go. Bring that to kinko's and you can print.

Thanks for quick reply. I'm in the San Fernando Valley (Burbank) to be exact.

I don't have autocad and have no experience with it since I usually come in post-planning/designing and construction. This time around, I was just thrown the files with no real point of contact or anything. I will def look into Bluebeam and go from there. Thanks again.