Architecture

superdupersang

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

metropolismag.com has some interesting articles every once and a while, so does archinect.com

but if i just want a flood of images i usually just search "architecture" on tumblr  (lol)

If I just need images or precedents and I more or less know what I'm looking for it's all of the usual ones: archdaily, dezeen, etc.

when i'm just browsing around: what we do is secret, a daily dose of architecture, bldgblog, and a bunch of other personal blogs and tumblrs that occasionally post interesting things... usually though I'd rather go to the library and read a magazine or book - infinitely better than a blog.  also infinitely better: finding good lectures/debates/etc on youtube/vimeo.  the GSD has a great channel, as do a few other schools and groups.  I tend to find listening to smart people talk about their work way more "inspirational"/helpful that just looking at images.

Work of Neil Denari. 

1991-Neil_Denari-A-U_246_Mar_p35-web.jpg

1991-Neil_Denari-A-U_246_Mar_p21-web.jpg

1991-Neil_Denari-A-U_246_Mar_p40-web.jpg

Who also happens to have a GSD talk:       

... usually though I'd rather go to the library and read a magazine or book - infinitely better than a blog.  also infinitely better: finding good lectures/debates/etc on youtube/vimeo.  the GSD has a great channel, as do a few other schools and groups. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Work of Neil Denari. 

He's designing the new high rise campus for my old high school. Would've been fun to go to school in a Denari building. Alas...

Some pictures I've taken of overlooked, interesting buildings in Los Angeles. 

8490708064_8033f461d9_b.jpg

This Schindler building is student housing for UCLA. 

8490708012_3b0acb6602_b.jpg

Some apartment in Hollywood

8489608005_122271a5fe_b.jpg

Samitaur by Eric Owen Moss

8490707412_4c5a18469d_b.jpg

PoMo gets too much hate 

^ that schindler situation is depressing.

Actually, it was built specifically for student housing. Some wealthy lady in the 40s thought that student housing architecture should be elevated, so she did just that. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

bumping

8fl1kqceu8i6sq87.jpg

That concrete roof deck supported by glass and tiny steel columns is blowing my mind! Wondering if the slab is actually thinner, curling up at the edges to give the illusion that it's that thick. Either way that's some tough glass.

http://archinect.com/features/article/115672428/showcase-groenl-ndia-by-triptyque

Edit: it does thin out near the ends. But it's still a massive cantilever.

Edited by Schoon

That glass isn't taking any load from the conc.; can't tell from the section drawings, but there's probably a ton of post-tensioned steel in that cantilevered slab.

You're probably right.  I assumed the steel frames were taking some of the load, didn't even consider post-tensioned steel.  I still have a lot to learn about structures of this type / scale, I mostly deal with wood frame residential projects. 

vwphde.jpg

250p75c.jpg

Found this beautiful tower hidden away in UNH's campus a month or so ago and did some research on it, it was originally a part of the New England Center designed by William Pereira. They converted the tower into student housing and one of the main buildings into offices for administration. (Sorry for the iPhone quality)