Architecture

superdupersang

• 3 months later...

hey I have a question, to be an architect do you have to be able to draw basicly?

my level of drawing is about at stick figures, but an undergraduate architect told me that with CAD programs, one does not have to be able to draw to be an architect.

I am very very interested in architecture, and It would be my father's dream for me to be an architect. It was one of mine when i was much younger before i grew enough to realize my artistic talent is at a cool zero.

i'm also at that point where i have a year to realize what i want to do at university and if it is an option despite me being unable to draw, I would take up architecture in a heartbeat.

Maybe i should take a one year diploma in visual art before university...

Thanks in advance to any reply

edit: and if i do choose architecture, will my lack of drawing skills hinder me in becoming successful in the field long term? I don't know if this is a dumb question although it sure looks like it could be

Edited by Eternal171

oh goodness

long story short, yes it's very helpful to be able to sketch competently because it's a useful design/communication tool but at the same time plenty of successful architects can't

edit - taking visual arts classes would probably be a good idea. i wouldn't say don't go into architecture if you want to, just make sure to get a lot of practice. carry a sketchbook around with you and draw stuff whenever you get the chance and you'll get better. in my school they also gave us (brief) tutorials on good sketching technique and we did hand drafting only for the first year.

Edited by Denton

oh goodness

long story short, yes it's very helpful to be able to sketch competently because it's a useful design/communication tool but at the same time plenty of successful architects can't

edit - taking visual arts classes would probably be a good idea. i wouldn't say don't go into architecture if you want to, just make sure to get a lot of practice. carry a sketchbook around with you and draw stuff whenever you get the chance and you'll get better. in my school they also gave us (brief) tutorials on good sketching technique and we did hand drafting only for the first year.

thanks, i guess i'll have a lot of hard work to put in if this is what I want to do. beats number crunching at a bank~

honestly i see myself in an undergrad architecture course in a couple of years

brb, learning how to sketch

I work as a graphic designer and pre viz artist for an architecture firm. I love the studio I am in. I've worked for several big firms and I must say a small studio is the best! People are more close and you are not just a number in the Borg collective. Best advice I can give is be happy, be creative and leave your ego at the door. We are all creative and talented people. By being in a good environment that fosters that helps bring out the best in you and in others. I've seen and been in a few firms where ego is king and those places fall apart and have a revolving door of employees. Interview the firm when looking, don't let them interview you. You can tell it's a good place by not just talking to the owners, but also it's employees :)

• 3 weeks later...

speaking of sketching.. what does everyone do when it comes to drawing out quick ideas?

i've been trying my best lately to draw more.. clearly. on account that if the sketch tells enough of the story, i can often delay / do without entering CAD / AI / etc.

i've found some success with either fine-liners of gel rollerballs on trace, perhaps with some copic for colour / shade, time allowing. i've also experimented with a more porous paper and watercolour but haven't got that down pat.

i've always been a fan of beniamino servino's sketches. believe they're simply moleskin, gel rollerball and brushed ink:

1266811_Folio_3.jpg

47.jpg

what does everyone else do?

Well, I've been practicing with any paper i have, whether in my Moleskine or on lecture notes, but update: SKETCHING is REALLY REALLY HARD. i hope its just going to be starting out thats hard. entry into my local architecture course requires a portfolio, sigh.

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, probably mentioned in previous pages but what architecture magazines/books/websites would you recommend? i know nothing about architecture but want to learn more about it and see if my interest develops. all suggestions to point me in the right direction are much appreciated!

Is there a University (or eq.) nearby with an art/arch. department? Could swing by and check out their library- Going to student reviews is also a good way to figure out if you actually want to follow though-

I dunno what the kids like these days, but ArchDaily is pretty popular. And there's always Archinect.

• 1 month later...

Go to the library, pick up something on modernism. You'll be exposed to architects like Sullivan, Mies, Le Corbusier, Gropius, Wright and their styles/ 'movements'. After that you'll probably start noticing stuff about buildings around you like where the designs derived from or what era it was built in.

danai, for more niche stuff maybe..

san rocco an italian magazine, really like the format and the design and its filled with good writing/thoughts about architecture

contemporary architects concept series vol 1-11 - is a good serie of japanese books about young japanese architects, really good

i also think that every architecture student should atleast flick through S,M,L,XL by OMA and Rem Koolhaas,

and then i guess just going through the websites of offices is the best way and o fcourse the el-croquis magazine

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd say you should have been blunt. Maybe having told them they're fucked and will have a mountain of student loan debt to look forward to. That said, tell them that if they're interested in learning how to talk about architecture to other architects but being otherwise useless in discussing their esoteric ideas with the general public and being of little value to a firm when graduating then it's a great idea. If they're not interested in that, tell them to be a plumber and earn more money, have less stress, and believe it or not, deal with less shit. Be sure to tell them though, that if they choose to be an architect, there are people that they can socialize with over at archinect.com with the same pessimism as this post and our general economy.

Kinda joking, I think architecture provides the most rewarding experiences sometimes, even though above is how we often complain to feel like we're part of a community.

Sylvia said or quoted I can't remember, "Never have so many been so famous to so few."

Just tell them they won't be famous. It'll make them try harder. Oh they should watch this video too:

^ The LEED hype is so spot on.

We were pretty honest and talked up their future skill sets and how those will be just as (if not more than) likely to secure you a real gig outside of architecture after graduation. There was a lot of tongue-in-cheek stuff going on. I think it helped that I had like 4 alumni in our office space, two of which aren't officially affiliated with the firm and do plenty beyond architecture (web. dev. / graphics / fab. / etc.).